Oil light on new Fiat Duacato

EarthDemon

Drove away from South Downs Campers yesterday with a zero miles 2018 Knaus BoxStar 630 - wahay - absolutely loving it.

Wildcamped somewhere nice and quiet and pulled off before 6am - within a couple of minutes the oil light went on. Checked the oil and couldn't understand why I couldn't see any black stuff - I understand now that it was so new the oil is transparent. Anyhoo, called roadside assistance and the bloke was top notch - he turned it off, turned it on and no more oil light which he found a bit strange. He tried all sorts but couldn't replicate the fault He reckoned that it was probably because it had been standing idle for months - fair enough but then again I had driven it 80 odd miles the prev day. He definitely thought it was something to look into. Service dept where I bought it is off weekends o course so I will try Monday. Would love to know if any of you Ducato drivers out there have any comments or idea....

I assume you mean the oil light with a line underneath signifying low oil.

Mine did this, in my case, it was a faulty oil level sensor. Common fault apparently.

You need to book it into a Fiat Professional dealer for the work if it is the same fault, because
(A) allegedly the sensor is at the back of the engine and a pig to get to
(B) some fiats I am told don’t have a sensor fitted and will therefore need the ECU reprogramming

mine is also using more oil than I have experienced with any other vehicle during running in, probably down to modern thin synthetic oils, so keep an eye on the levels.

Hope this helps

Jon

There are many reports of similar faults as yours usually when the ecu hasn,t been reset after a oil change. But with so new a vehicle ?

Mine did this, in my case, it was a faulty oil level sensor. Common fault apparently.

You need to book it into a Fiat Professional dealer for the work if it is the same fault, because
(B) some fiats I am told don’t have a sensor fitted and will therefore need the ECU reprogramming

mine is also using more oil than I have experienced with any other vehicle during running in, probably down to modern thin synthetic oils, so keep an eye on the levels.

Hope this helps

Jon

Thanks a lot. Ducatos so prevalent in the MH world I spose they must be basically sound!!!?? I was fixated on Sprinters for a while but someone on the sister site to this one convinced me the Sevels are more suited to MH's - certainly better value. I will keep digging and be extra vigilant with the oil checks. I mean, the guy at South Downs service just said get it serviced in 12mos and knowt about checking oil... seems reckless in the light of what you're saying.

Last edited:
There are many reports of similar faults as yours usually when the ecu hasn,t been reset after a oil change. But with so new a vehicle ?

Thanks for the info - all very helpful. It'll be interesting to see if the vendors just try and make light of it. Obviously I hope it is just one of those things and doesn't mean I've bought a lemon...

Absolutely cracking inside, maybe I'll just have to think of it as a static

:raofl: :sad: :sad: :sad: :hammer:

Thanks a lot. Ducatos so prevalent in the MH world I spose they must be basically sound!!!?? I was fixated on Sprinters for a while but someone on the sister site to this one convinced me the Sevels are more suited to MH's - certainly better value. I will keep digging and be extra vigilant with the oil checks. I mean, the guy at South Downs service just said get it serviced in 12mos and knowt about checking oil... seems reckless in the light of what you're saying.

Every time you start up your oil level is displayed on the dash, and when i picked mine up I was told it's the hab service every 12 months and van service every 2 years.

Totally agree with Mr Telstar .it should have registers a fault code , check oil level ,get straight to main dealer ,if necessary on a recovery truck .if you contacted a main dealer first they could insist on recovery, not sure about fiat but most makes include 12 months breakdown cover from date of purchase .

Last edited:
Hope all goes well

Last edited:
Obviously I hope it is just one of those things and doesn't mean I've bought a lemon...
Check the Oil level but I don't think you've much to worry about this light is a common fault I don't remember that it triggers a fault code I've had mine come on twice and only needed to reprogram the ECU mileage never cancelled a fault code or seen a fault code indicated by the orange engine indicator light. Fiat specifies a mileage for service interval owners have the service /oil change early without resetting the Ecu so when the mileage is reached the light comes on some times just after the oil change

Last edited:

Hope this helps

Jon
Modern engines dont really require running as in the old days,best way to seal the bores is short stop start trips letting it cool and very the speeds until almost full power for short busts is reached over a period of time.

Thanks to all of yous - very helpful advice. I shall check oil tomorrow morn and see if oil light comes on. If not, fingers crossed and a bit of a drive with my daughter.

Trev is right, modern engines don't need running in as such like the old gear, in fact when engines are bench tested at the factory they are put under high revs and strain normally on a rolling road

It is important oil levels coolant levels are checked periodically which is totally different to when they need changing

My hunch is the vehicle has been stood ,the oil sensor wiring has become damp which would show as a fault and the consequent heat from running the engine has dried it out cured the fault,

A professional Fiat dealer (not the motorhome dealer ) will be well aware of any generic problems on the chassis cab and be able to remedy easily enough under the warranty

Channa

My oil warning light first came on at around 8000 miles. Slightly surprised by this as I thought modern engines did not require topping up between services but maybe MH engines are different to cars as they are working harder. Topped the oil up with 1ltr and it went off with all 5 level lights now showing. Guessing that this is normal? Top ups every 8000 miles or so. Most of driving is long distance not pottering around. Once we park up we use bikes to get around locally.

My oil warning light first came on at around 8000 miles. Slightly surprised by this as I thought modern engines did not require topping up between services but maybe MH engines are different to cars as they are working harder. Topped the oil up with 1ltr and it went off with all 5 level lights now showing. Guessing that this is normal? Top ups every 8000 miles or so. Most of driving is long distance not pottering around. Once we park up we use bikes to get around locally.

You may have glassed bores,but if burning some oil as my van does i over top with some extra oil,half ltr will do no harm as better safe than sorry.
Mine used oil at firs as it was a library bus and prob let tick over for most of its short 50000 mile use,since i have been ringing its neck it now uses very little .

Follow up

No oil light this morn or today so far.

South Downs called returned my call on a Sunday so pretty pleased about that.
Simply said I did the right thing to get assistance and that it was not uncommon in these vehicles particularly if they have been laid up a long while.

I am new to the MH world but am getting the impression that like the bike world there is a very friendly and fair attitude taken by dealerships. I bought and sold plenty of bikes and was always trusted and given fair prices.

No oil light this morn or today so far.

South Downs called returned my call on a Sunday so pretty pleased about that.
Simply said I did the right thing to get assistance and that it was not uncommon in these vehicles particularly if they have been laid up a long while.

I am new to the MH world but am getting the impression that like the bike world there is a very friendly and fair attitude taken by dealerships. I bought and sold plenty of bikes and was always trusted and given fair prices.

I would be interested to know what the real answer is, I have only seen old used mineral oil go sludgy after 15 to 20 years, in really extreme situations, not modern clean oil.

Last summer I recommissioned an old lawn mower engine that had been sitting with dirty engine oil for about 10 years, tipped it out, put fresh in and it was fine.

After looking at base van options for a couple of years and being members of many groups, I worked out nothing is perfect, every van can have snagging issues early on, the classic bathtub reliability curve.
Fiat/Citroen/ peugeot are loved by converters as you can get a transverse fixed bed.
I am not convinced as they seem to be like early cars I had before my VW group cars, characterful and expect to have issues.
You pay less but are built to a price, fine if you change then regularly before longterm issues surface.

Having worked in the automotive supply manufacturing supply chain Japanese would be my first choice for sure but there are not many fully Jap vans without French influences/ build so I'll be going for a VW or Merc base vehicle.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back