Ohhhh dear.... Know your height lol

Imagine what it must be like for visitors from continental Europe with many bridge clearances marked in feet and inches in UKGBNI. It would be easy enough to read 10'6" as 10.6 m!

Imagine what it must be like for visitors from continental Europe with many bridge clearances marked in feet and inches in UKGBNI. It would be easy enough to read 10'6" as 10.6 m!

That's their problem We got to manage over there

Last edited:

IF someone mistakes 10'6 for 10.6m I'd frankly question whether they are competent to drive

When sign says you shouldn't, but head reckons you'll be ok if you stick in the middle. :p

I'd give the one above a miss though, :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-22 at 16.03.28.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-08-22 at 16.03.28.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 145
The driver wasn't one of us,
No wildcamper would do a trick like that.. Eh?
A certain Yorkshire lass is very quiet,lately.

Sorry officer,I was just delivering this bridge and ran out of fuel...that's my excuse if it ever happens to me.

Lytham Road, Fulwood, Preston Lytham Road, Fulwood, Preston..jpg it`s on a short cut to the Royal Preston Hospital :scared:

Despite electronic signs and the ordinary metal signs it still gets hit :rolleyes2:

Our van is 2.8m and I would not bother with a bridge restricted at 3.0m or10' in old money. Diesel is a lot cheaper than bodywork after all.

Cheers

H

It would help if the height of bridges was given at the point the arch starts or if there are curbs, then the point the arch is directly above the curb edge.
Maybe too much information though?

It looks like the van actually got stuck on the height bar, ( familiar story?? ). :mad1:

If the height bar had not been there he would have got through in the middle no problem! :scared:

10 - 1 He blames his Sat Nav .. With an FJ number plate he will be back at Brownhills complaining about it .. :D

The height barrier does look lower than the bridge but you don't know what the exit from the bridge is like or wether the goes up a small gradient.

Last edited:
It looks like the van actually got stuck on the height bar, ( familiar story?? ). :mad1:

If the height bar had not been there he would have got through in the middle no problem! :scared:

Height bar is usually set lower than minimum height available under bridge....

Idea being your average numpties hear a noise and stop BEFORE progressing to a point of damage to the structure of the bridge/requiring mechanical intervention....

Sadly ignoring the bar means the need to for numpty corrective measures to be deployed.

ohh dear

I always get my wife to check for clearance .She sticks her head out of the roof light.

It would help if the height of bridges was given at the point the arch starts or if there are curbs, then the point the arch is directly above the curb edge.
Maybe too much information though?

I agree.

Many times I have seen height restrictions with curved arch structures and wondered just this. Just occasionally it is qualified by a horizontal marker showing the point at which the clearance has been measured. I think this should be mandatory.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back