Off to skye

walkers said:
really, not on their land and causing no problems thats shamefull
Probably off topic but their most lunatic was during the foot and mouth paranoia up here. The Estate banned anyone crossing the verge, which they owned and put up huge warning notices.
The John Muir Trust allowed full access to their land...this meant that you could walk the entire coastline from Elgol in the south of the Island right through Glen Sligachan towards Sligachan...but could not cross the final verge onto the road.
We made noises about this and got a "formal" letter from the MacLeod clan society in America, "The clan chief has spoken, all must obey".
As a MacDhughaill that meant very little to me...but the American adulation to the descendants of those who evicted and burnt out their ancestors is
a: a separate subject
b: either embarrasing or ridiculous

walkers said:
it's all about using common sense i suppose and if everybody did it would be a lot easier to 'wildcamp' its the rotten apples that spoil the barrel unfortunately

I hope no one thinks I'm whinging on about vans causing parking problems, looking back at several posts I've made in the last couple of days.
It's simply that people often, in all innocence, park on Skye where there seems to be a good space and often either don't realise that a alumininium walkway ending in a cleared and gravelled area is an emergency helipad for mountain rescue, despite the "H" sign in white chippings.
Cemetery carparks are another problem as they are often in isolated areas and drivers assume they are not used nowadays.
I mentioned the one at the Quiraing as an illustration, it is miles from any settlement but still serves many districts.
If you are on Skye, look at the funeral notices in shops and garages...the community involvement is tremendous.
No funerals, as I've seen in England, with only the minister and a funeral director present.
Or that the fact that a gate looks old does not mean its out of use...my son, for example has a gate he only needs to open when moving heavy farm machinery on a large trailer...he has a "Please don't park here blocking the gate", but people again often assume that means "but I won't need it today".
I wouldn't even call it thoughtlessness as I know I've done it myself!!

sagart said:
I hope no one thinks I'm whinging on about vans causing parking problems, looking back at several posts I've made in the last couple of days.
It's simply that people often, in all innocence, park on Skye where there seems to be a good space and often either don't realise that a alumininium walkway ending in a cleared and gravelled area is an emergency helipad for mountain rescue, despite the "H" sign in white chippings.
Cemetery carparks are another problem as they are often in isolated areas and drivers assume they are not used nowadays.
I mentioned the one at the Quiraing as an illustration, it is miles from any settlement but still serves many districts.
If you are on Skye, look at the funeral notices in shops and garages...the community involvement is tremendous.
No funerals, as I've seen in England, with only the minister and a funeral director present.
Or that the fact that a gate looks old does not mean its out of use...my son, for example has a gate he only needs to open when moving heavy farm machinery on a large trailer...he has a "Please don't park here blocking the gate", but people again often assume that means "but I won't need it today".
I wouldn't even call it thoughtlessness as I know I've done it myself!!
i when i park do look for signs hopefully so do most others, skye is a bit far for me at the mo the amount of time it would take to get there would take up too much of a holiday maybe when i am retired i would visit but i will keep your advice in mind particularly relating to the mcleods, i try not to park in front of gates as a rule as they may be the only access point for emergency services.

sagart said:
Most possibilities are marked "no overnight parking"

sagart, are these council signs or the estates? if the estates how do they enforce it? does it contravene "the right to roam " act.

Guy said:
might see you there monkeynut what van are you in, i am in a hymer 534.
The site that looks most promising from the ones i have looked at is Staffin campsite which is set beneath Trotternish ridge with views over the Hebridean Minch,has anyone been there.
Hi its a old vw panel van but change of plans nipping up to the dales n lakes .. maby will send a full two weeks up skye and far north again this summer

I would give Sligachan a miss lost its charm now just a tourist trap with amusement arcade in the pub bar thingy
keith

Dont want amusement arcade type sites.
The route i have planned today is,
Caolasnacon site at Kinlochleven
Resipole farm at Arnamurchan
Comusdarach at Arasaig
Invercaimbe at Arasaig
Glenbrittle on Skye
Sligachan on skye (not sure about this one now)
Then travel round skye and see what happens.

irenerobbie said:
sagart said:
Most possibilities are marked "no overnight parking"

sagart, are these council signs or the estates? if the estates how do they enforce it? does it contravene "the right to roam " act.

Council signs are non-enforceable in this specific area "Skye & Lochalsh
"List of Car Parks at 30.09.06 in the Skye & Lochalsh Area that we believe are the responsibility of TEC Services: Armadale, Bayfield - Portree, Broadford, Dunvegan, Dornie, Elgol, Kyle, Kyleakin, Plockton, Portree - Somerled Square and The Green, Raasay, Sconser, Uig.
Not public car parks: Lealt, Kilt Rock.
In terms of camper vans and parking we do not have height restriction barriers on entrances to any of our car parks but we also do not encourage overnight parking. Some car parks do have 'No Overnight Parking' signs erected but there is no actual enforcement of this carried out so the signs are there more as a deterrent.
There are no specific spaces designated for camper vans in any of our car parks. There are public toilets either sited in or adjacent to many of our car parks. However, there are no (toilet) waste disposal facilities in any of our car parks."

"Right to Roam" does not give "right to park" on private land, and I assume we are talking solely about the use of motorhomes (of whatever type)

1. I have heard that there is ‘freedom to roam’ in Scotland. What does this mean?

The Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003 (which came into force in 2005) gives everyone rights of access over land and inland water throughout Scotland, subject to specific exclusions set out in the Act and as long as they behave responsibly. These rights are sometimes referred to as ‘freedom to roam’.

2. What does behaving responsibly mean?

Behaving responsibly means acting lawfully and reasonably and not causing unreasonable interference with the rights and interests of others. A new Scottish Outdoor Access Code is the reference point for guidance on responsibility, both for land managers and for those exercising the rights.

The Access Code is wide-ranging in its content and gives detailed advice about different situations, but it will not cover all circumstances. Three basic principles underpin all the advice in the Code: respect the interests of other people, care for the environment, and take responsibility for your own actions.

3. Where can I get a copy of the Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003?

You can obtain a copy from The Stationery Office, or you can download it from:
www.outdooraccess-scotland.com

4. Where can I get a copy of the Scottish Outdoor Access Code?

You can obtain a free copy from Scottish Natural Heritage’s Publications Section. Telephone: 01738 444177.
Or you can download it from: www.outdooraccess-scotland.com

5. What activities are covered by rights of access?

You can exercise access rights for crossing land and water, for recreational purposes, for educational purposes, and for some commercial purposes. There is no definition of ‘recreational purposes’, but the Access Code suggests a range of countryside activities that would be appropriate, including cycling, horse riding and wild camping. ‘Education’ is for the understanding of the natural or cultural heritage. Access rights apply above and below the land, and can be exercised in groups. The Access Code gives special advice on groups and events. You can exercise access rights at any time but you should take special care not to disturb local residents when close to property after dark.

6. What activities are not covered by rights of access?

Under the Land Reform Act, certain activities are excluded from the exercise of access rights: the use of a motorised vehicle or vessel (except special vehicles for disabled people); field sports; or when with a dog or other animal which is not under proper control. There is a right to cross a golf course, but not of recreation on it.

The legislation defines the right to camp as to tents

Guy said:
Dont want amusement arcade type sites.

Sligachan on skye (not sure about this one now)
Then travel round skye and see what happens.
No problem with Sligachan official site. Opposite the hotel, with usual facilities. Hotel has very good outdoor adventure playground for children and the breakfasts keep you going all day! Ball pool inside with pool tables & machines + wide screen Tv. and live entertainment (sometimes)
The disadvantage with my living just up the road is that I have little excuse to enjoy its facilities.

Thanks for all the info everybody.
Ive decided to have a kip tonight (saturday) as i am already feeling tired. we will set off early Sunday morning.
I will let you know how it was when i get back.
see ya.

monkeynut said:
I would give Sligachan a miss lost its charm now just a tourist trap with amusement arcade in the pub bar thingy
keith
Bit excessive for two pool tables, two slot machines, one Connect game and a ball pool in a separate area!
http://www.sligachan.co.uk/bars.htm
This is a small and separate part of Seumas's Bar...hardly Blackpool

try Dunvagen colin cambeell great site on loch-side short walk into village:D

sligahan

my biggest problem with this place was last time i came of the hills they had no scottish beer on tap, so i just had wait till i got to portree.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back