Off to skye

Guy

hi everyone
we are hopefully going up to skye saturday night after work, i have seen a few sites i may check out,they seem quite reasonably priced and are within walking distance of the pub.
Does anyone know of any wildcamping spots to try as well. we are going for about 1 week to 10 days,depends on how it goes.
its our first proper trip out in our hymer we got 2 months ago.

Skye

Hi Guy,

Head to the North of Skye, the Quiraing, Grid 43956 67830. Great scenery and you should find a wild site up there, somewhere. Ive camped up there many a time with no problems.
Have a good one!!!

We were on Skye a couple of years ago. The north side of the island has a few large laybys on the coast road where you can stop. We wild camped one night but had a medical emergency so had to return to Portree and stay at the campsite there. Wouldn't recommend it but as I said it was an emergency and we had to be close to the hospital there. The site is not level and the hook up pitches are few and crammed together but the views were great and you could walk into town. On the way out of town going north towards the campsite there was a road off to the right that went down towards the water's edge. I did see a few motorhomes parked down there that looked like they had been there overnight.
good luck.:)

Might see you up there thinking of poping up there my self , got a week to kill and only spent a day up there last summer will be at arrochar on sat sun then maby to skye :)

might see you there monkeynut what van are you in, i am in a hymer 534.
The site that looks most promising from the ones i have looked at is Staffin campsite which is set beneath Trotternish ridge with views over the Hebridean Minch,has anyone been there.

Journeyman said:
Hi Guy,

Head to the North of Skye, the Quiraing, Grid 43956 67830. Great scenery and you should find a wild site up there, somewhere. Ive camped up there many a time with no problems.
Have a good one!!!
Cheers journeyman i will check it out.

isle of skye

Guy lets us no how you get on if you dont mind ,doing two week trip around that area in august.

skye

try Glen Brittle, if you like being beside sea and mountains but take your own beer as there isn,t much down there in the way of shops. there was a camp site but too many places to "wild" to bother with it. opposite the youth hostel there is a short walk beside a burn and there are great pools for bathing in. have a great time, i think its one of the best times of the year to go to that area.

Journeyman said:
Hi Guy,

Have a good one!!!
From the Staffin side, top of the hairpins on the left. From Uig side, just before the hairpins on the right...though from this side there are two or three laybys on the righthand side.
Do not use the cemetery carpark just below the hairpins...it is not welcomed as it causes serious problems for funeral parties...these can number 200 people up here so you would face a major row.
Duntulm at the North East end has a couple of useful areas on the coastside - I would not advise the one with the landslip on the landward side.
Edinbane has a campsite where you are very welcome if you make it clear you oppose windfarms.

Guy said:
hi everyone
we are hopefully going up to skye saturday night after work, i have seen a few sites i may check out,they seem quite reasonably priced and are within walking distance of the pub.
Does anyone know of any wildcamping spots to try as well. we are going for about 1 week to 10 days,depends on how it goes.
its our first proper trip out in our hymer we got 2 months ago.

Hi Guy. The South West coast of Sleat. on A851 Take a narrow unnamed road at kilbeg, past tarscavaig to Tokavaig a beautiful grassy park next to the see overlooking the coolins,at Tokavaig. heaven! perfect bathing. & a castle to investigate.http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x286/autosleeper/tokavaig/tokavaig.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks everyone i will have to make notes of where you have all said and try to check them all out

GARY ENGLISH said:
Guy lets us no how you get on if you dont mind ,doing two week trip around that area in august.
I will let you know Gary what it was like when i get back, will have some pictures to show as well.

awrite guy, you'll enjoy skye mate it's beutifull head down the glen brittle road to the shore, nice spots down that area , or u could camp in the climbers camsite at the sligahan, pub rite next to u .. great views of the cullin mountains , or u could go to portree thers a wee campsite on the hill just outside the town , good pubs and folk bands play fri & sat , hope this helps , you will enjoy skye .i guarantee that..:D :D

hillwalker said:
awrite guy, you'll enjoy skye mate it's beutifull head down the glen brittle road to the shore, nice spots down that area , or u could camp in the climbers camsite at the sligahan, pub rite next to u .. great views of the cullin mountains , or u could go to portree thers a wee campsite on the hill just outside the town , good pubs and folk bands play fri & sat , hope this helps , you will enjoy skye .i guarantee that..:D :D
Thanks Hillwalker
I have just bought a book today called, cool camping scotland.
It is not you ordinary camping guide book but only reviews sites that are exeptional one way or another.Sligachan is reviewed in the book and it quotes (Sligachan is) "slap bang in the centre of the craziest scenery in the realm".
In the back of the book is a section on wildcampsites.
I have never before seen a camping guide book as good as this.

The Sligachan.. Skye

Guy said:
Thanks Hillwalker
I have just bought a book today called, cool camping scotland.
It is not you ordinary camping guide book but only reviews sites that are exeptional one way or another.Sligachan is reviewed in the book and it quotes (Sligachan is) "slap bang in the centre of the craziest scenery in the realm".
In the back of the book is a section on wildcampsites.
I have never before seen a camping guide book as good as this.
Picture305.jpg

hillwalker said:

MacLeod Estates own the Glenbrittle area and are very touchy about wildcamping other than at their site. Most possibilities are marked "no overnight". If you find a Forest Enterprise carpark or wide entrance to their woodlands in the Glen, you are generally fine (unless you block a gate...I mentioned in another forum that last year someone parked a Fleetwood across an entrance to a forest and my son's harvester just pulled it out).
Just past Sligachan on the Dunvegan road, about half a mile I think, just past where there are the remains of a demolished shed you can park on the old road on the left - don't use the shed area as it is covered in nails from the old building.
Just past Sligachan, on the Dunvegan road on the right is a small area on the old road. This leads back to the inn's carpark. A van can park there, but must not block access to the helipad or the Mountain Rescue hut - if you leave a van doing this, the staff at the Sligachan or any local passing by will immediately ring the police...I know as I've done this when some fool with a Hymer parked it right across the gate.

sagart said:
MacLeod Estates own the Glenbrittle area and are very touchy about wildcamping other than at their site. Most possibilities are marked "no overnight". If you find a Forest Enterprise carpark or wide entrance to their woodlands in the Glen, you are generally fine (unless you block a gate...I mentioned in another forum that last year someone parked a Fleetwood across an entrance to a forest and my son's harvester just pulled it out).
Just past Sligachan on the Dunvegan road, about half a mile I think, just past where there are the remains of a demolished shed you can park on the old road on the left - don't use the shed area as it is covered in nails from the old building.
Just past Sligachan, on the Dunvegan road on the right is a small area on the old road. This leads back to the inn's carpark. A van can park there, but must not block access to the helipad or the Mountain Rescue hut - if you leave a van doing this, the staff at the Sligachan or any local passing by will immediately ring the police...I know as I've done this when some fool with a Hymer parked it right across the gate.
it's all about using common sense i suppose and if everybody did it would be a lot easier to 'wildcamp' its the rotten apples that spoil the barrel unfortunately

autosleeper said:
Hi Guy. The South West coast of Sleat. on A851 Take a narrow unnamed road at kilbeg, past tarscavaig to Tokavaig & beautiful grassy park next to the see overlooking the coolins, heaven. Judi. perfect bathing. & a castle to investigate

On this same road...directions from the the Broadford end.
Ord beach is a possibility (I've used it overnight when working at Sabhal Mor-the Gaelic college). Further on that same road, driving past Tokavaig there is a large flat area on the right just before the road turns down to Tarskavaig.
Try http://maps.google.co.uk/ and input Tarskavaig. Mapquest puts it the wrong side of the road

walkers said:
it's all about using common sense i suppose and if everybody did it would be a lot easier to 'wildcamp' its the rotten apples that spoil the barrel unfortunately

You have a more generous view of the MacLeod Estates than we have!. A friend of ours farms at the bottom of the Glen and has historic rights to the area of parking between the beach and the MacLeod fencing. She gave a couple consent to tent there as they offered to help her (81 yrs old!) to clear rubbish of the beach.
The then warden came up to them, swinging a heavy chain, and ordered them off

sagart said:
You have a more generous view of the MacLeod Estates than we have!. A friend of ours farms at the bottom of the Glen and has historic rights to the area of parking between the beach and the MacLeod fencing. She gave a couple consent to tent there as they offered to help her (81 yrs old!) to clear rubbish of the beach.
The then warden came up to them, swinging a heavy chain, and ordered them off
really, not on their land and causing no problems thats shamefull

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back