Off Grid

depends on how you live. we lived quite happily for years with gaslights,woodburner, no fridge, drove every day or 2 for work and occasionally used a genny. solar panels were way too expensive then. we had 12v lights ,but no leds , so only used them sparingly.
so, with cheap panels and compressor fridges and diesel heaters readily available it will be easy !

You were the lucky one I can tell you. Back in the day I only had a Spanish burro,
half a horse power to pull my rig. Bet you had at least a couple of New
Forest ponies. But still, old burro could walk the torque, pulled us up Gib. no trouble
on a diet of hay or if the farmer wasn't looking Barley Super. Used to get
5 leagues and 3 furlongs per bale and with a bit of garlic and onion in
the mix old burro supplied us with enough gas for the fridge and gas lamps.
And on cold nights he'd be brought in to heat the gaff. Truly living 'off grid',
I call it.

verified by Ron Quixote

Last edited:
Secret to this is not how the power is generated, it is how it is used.

The lower the consumption, the lower the need

The higher the storage capacity, the longer it lasts

Forget any possibilty of wind power, UKPLC should do the same..............

The only realistic options are power from the engine (especially B2B) but also the alternator charging the leisure batteries when driving, and solar, the bigger the better in terms of panel area.

So, fit led lighting, forget any possible need you think you have which needs an inverter ( you really DONT need 240vac and Mrs really doesn't need a hair drier!!).

An AVTEX TV is all you could ever need, charge the phones and tablets from the solar...................simples!!!

Finally, if the answer was a GENERATOR,:mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2: ask, WTF was the question!!!!!!!!!!!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back