Norway. Which ferry?

we got away last year when the uk was on norway/denmark's green list.We went the denmark/norway route as we weren't sure if we could get into norway from sweden at that time as sweden was on their red list.The quickest most expensive is the oresund bridge and we used that on our return route last year.Plenty of water and waste disposal that route.We aren't intending anywhere but scandinavia this year should we be allowed in so fingers crossed for august september for a couple months or so.I've been checking up on the likelihood of travelling to norway withought having to isolate but not looking good.
Here is where I've been looking,scroll down to the map and you'll see we are stripy red.
Entry into norway quarantine facts
Definately worth the cost and once is enough to make you want to go back again and again.
2020 escape to norway.
Thanks. We love it and usually go a couple of times a year to visit our son, we take a cheap flight and have travelled around on trains, boats and hire cars, mostly south of Bergen, but have never driven there, so we are interested in how others have done it. Thanks for sharing your plans, we have not made any definite plans, I think this last year has made me plan ahead adverse! I hope you get back there soon and share your journey on here.

Vaccinations are in full swing, I think the borders will be open in Europe in July. Optimist?
Unfortunately my son doesn't fall into either the 18 to 24 or over 45 age range that are next on the list to be vaccinated and vaccinations have stopped in his area because they have run out of vaccines that are not on the banned list. I really hope your optimism pays off for July 🤞 🤞 🤞

Ok Thanks
Yes we did drive towards stavanger from K Sand...Very nice
thusFerry or Tunnel to France Then drive to Hirtsals
We did that on the way out in 2016 You will no doubt wamt to drive further each day than we did
But Grobbendonk Cloppeburg and Ribe are worth considering for overnights
We also stayed at the fuel station just south of Hirtsals before sailing
Hope it all goes well !

t
Ok Thanks
Yes we did drive towards stavanger from K Sand...Very nice
thusFerry or Tunnel to France Then drive to Hirtsals
We did that on the way out in 2016 You will no doubt wamt to drive further each day than we did
But Grobbendonk Cloppeburg and Ribe are worth considering for overnights
We also stayed at the fuel station just south of Hirtsals before sailing
Hope it all goes well !
Thanks its good to hear from people who have done this route and have the benefit of others experience before we leave. I love how I asked about a ferry and now have lots of information that will help us feel like we know what we are doing - a bit! It's great people are so willing to share what they have learned along the way, things like good places to stop will make all the difference. At some point i will have to get out the maps and a note book and get all this information into context. I should probably work out how much the fuel will cost too! And whether we need to become vegans for the trip to avoid breaking any rules about taking meat and diary across borders!!! What a difference a year makes, up until the pandemic a couple of hours and a £100 and we could be with them and they felt fairly close, now it is a nearly two years since we have been together and they feel so far away.

We have taken various routes from hoek to denmark and often find towns and villages full of delights. We like to only drive for half a day so we can explore the stops by bicycle. Zwolle is a nice first stop, park in the harbor.

It will be of interest to see your route(s) in Norway in due course.
If we get there! Germany has just introduced quarantine for visitors 😪 If we do get there we have a week with son and DIL so will go over plans and options with them as they have a better idea of what is achievable in our time frame. It’s easy to get too ambitious when looking at a map 😆. View from sons house 4D60924F-1967-4530-955B-2B0FB002E5DA.jpeg

Goes against the grain I know...But worth considering flights ?
I've had covid and apart from being the scariest illness i've ever had, it's given me a dicky heart and long covid, it will be a long time before I am going in an enclosed space with no windows and crowded with strangers. I'm afraid airports and crowded departure and arrival lounges are out. We have considered going on the train but they don't quite join up yet and it requires an overnight stay in a hotel which I am also avoiding, I don't want to get to Norway and find I have to isolate because I have been in a room with someone who has tested positive.

Ok just a thought and obviously no go.
My next idea is ....can you take extra time ?
Best wishes for an improved recovery. Nice fresh air in Norway may help.
I suggest the tunnel is best for you !

Ok just a thought and obviously no go.
My next idea is ....can you take extra time ?
Best wishes for an improved recovery. Nice fresh air in Norway may help.
I suggest the tunnel is best for you !
Thanks the tunnel was plan A so I guess we wait and see which countries are open. I’m a teacher so August is all I have! Changing my job to work less hours as haven’t been back more than two days a week yet otherwise taking the whole summer wouldn’t be possible. Contrary to what most people think teachers do have to work in the school holidays 😆😆Winning the lottery and retiring is on my to do list 😃

Ok ....I know what you say..I used to teach..
The apparent 6 week holiday was compromised both at the start with Timetable responsibilities.
And then in August due to exam results x2.
But dont forget we are regarded by some as "Lazy gits" Ha Ha Ha Ha
You can maybe get to Norway inside 1 week without over rushing.
Best wishes

We went from Immingham to Gottenberg on the freight ferry a few years ago - then after a loop in Scandinavia worked back to Rotterdam for our return. Very different journeys!

Yes I recall reading about that ferry.
We do not like long ferry trips...But a ferry direct to Norway or Sweden has its plus points.
I am not sure they are available now ? (Not covid related)
There is little chance of us sailing to "The Hook" or other.
For us not cost effective and minimal time bonus.
Yes we can take the full 90 days and drive all the way.
At the moment the 2 Bridges route is favourite (both ways)
The shortish ferry (Puttdarden to Rodby) is a possibility but overall (cost and freedom from timetables/booking) not likely.
I am thinking 2022 MAYBE !
Timings being Calais to Malmo 9 days
.Going north in Sweden 30 days.
Driving south in Norway. 35 days.
Norway to Malmo 4 days.
Malmo to UK 9 days.
87 days !!!!
We save time compared with our last trip by not going through Finland and not going to Nordkapp..
So no rushing, a few long days driving, 2 nights in many places and 3 in some

Last edited:
We went from Immingham to Gottenberg on the freight ferry a few years ago - then after a loop in Scandinavia worked back to Rotterdam for our return. Very different journeys!
I looked at this but they only take freight now. If I understood right you can send your van as freight for about £900 but you can't go with it!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back