Northumberland no overnight stay

One of the worse culprits are dog walkers who allow their dogs to foul and don’t pick it up. On a recent visit to Kirkgate in Kinross both my wife and I stood on dog £$%^. And we witnessed a dog leaving its mess in the kids playground.
But what did they do, they banned overnight parking. Now I wonder what the reaction would be if they put up a sign saying no dogs allowed, when I am sure that most dog owners are decent responsible people. And I am a dog lover, I don’t place any blame on the dogs.

Last edited:
I think we just have to live with the fact that we are a dirty, scruffy, litter louting nation.

Yes, I know its worse in other parts of the world before anyone says anything, but for me that's irrelevant.

We're supposed to be a first world nation after all, so absolutely no excuses in my book.

More education and stronger (enforced!) legislation needed.

On. A lighter note , some of the most offending litter louts in our community particularly the towns of Scarborough and Whitby are our feathered friends the seagulls ..often see them raiding bins , and both towns have effectively learnt to raid tourists of fish and chips

On. A lighter note , some of the most offending litter louts in our community particularly the towns of Scarborough and Whitby are our feathered friends the seagulls ..often see them raiding bins , and both towns have effectively learnt to raid tourists of fish and chips

And that’s because muppets feed them, and leave uneaten food around for them Andrew. We were there two years ago and I was astonished at the mess everywhere from the herring gulls.

I don't mind the gulls pinching stuff.

Very resourceful birds. They don't know any better, but humans should.

If I had to choose between the gulls for company and litter-routing humans when I'm parked up somewhere there's no competition.

And I'll quite happily share my chish and fips with them any day :)

I don't mind the gulls pinching stuff.

Very resourceful birds. They don't know any better, but humans should.

If I had to choose between the gulls for company and litter-routing humans when I'm parked up somewhere there's no competition.

And I'll quite happily share my chish and fips with them any day :)

Marie when I was a wee boy I only saw seagulls when we went to Rothesay for our annual summer holidays. They used to follow us over in the ferry and we would throw bred for them to catch in flight. We would see them on the coast also whilst in Rothesay. But when we got home to Glasgow we never saw a seagull. Now Glasgow and surrounding areas are awash with them. They attack people in Glasgow city centre. Yes a I agree they are resourceful birds, but they have destroyed the habitats of some off our native birds. And I don’t blame the seagulls, this is our fault.

And that’s because muppets feed them, and leave uneaten food around for them Andrew. We were there two years ago and I was astonished at the mess everywhere from the herring gulls.

Same with filthy flying rats that are pigeons...
They attract other pests....
Like old people....
Wherever there are pigeons there are bound to be old people feeding the bloody things

Like old people....
Wherever there are pigeons there are bound to be old people feeding the bloody things

ACDECDB7-A876-4C7E-A5EC-17C15A9D216F.jpeg

Signs in Scarborough and Whitby same council telling folk not to feed them ...but the gulls need no encouragement to rifle bins and like stupas raiding fish and chips whilst folk are eating ,,,seen it myself more than once ...of course it’s folk feeding them that has sparked their behaviour

Signs in Scarborough and Whitby same council telling folk not to feed them ...but the gulls need no encouragement to rifle bins and like stupas raiding fish and chips whilst folk are eating ,,,seen it myself more than once ...of course it’s folk feeding them that has sparked their behaviour

We watched a herring gull attack a woman in St. Andrews. Her Big Mac was stripped from her hand and the herring gull flew off with it. I think it’s important to differentiate between other types of gulls who are not pests and herring gulls.

Like old people....
ok so your 18, you deserve my boot,why not all people of my age feed pigeons, peace and love were it is due, sorry but
back in your cage? thanks but no thanks, ok pj if no likey try an other planet , your not with use,

We watched a herring gull attack a woman in St. Andrews. Her Big Mac was stripped from her hand and the herring gull flew off with it. I think it’s important to differentiate between other types of gulls who are not pests and herring gulls.
Why do people feel the need to eat in the street?

This county seems somewhat hostile to motorhomes. Lots of car parks with height barriers, others with long detailed prohibitions including overnight parking and no sleeping in vehicles.
Apart from the more longwinded prohibition signs at pay and display parking others like this have appeared in places such as Boulmer. This has no wording on the front or rear relating to any TRO, bylaw or anything else. I wonder if these are legal or enforceable, or can be regarded as simply ‘advisory’ and intended as ‘offputting’?
Does anyone local in Northumberland know the background to and status of these?
View attachment 77271
Don't know about other places in Northumberland having bans/barriers, but we have used this "car park" at Boulmer many times for one-night stopovers for our journey up to Scotland. Last time a "local" jobsworth came over to tell us we couldn't stay overnight but were welcome during daylight hours, so the issue doesn't seem to be that it would spoil residents' views because its dark at night (?) Generally we don't feel like staying where we are not wanted, so we didn't get a meal from the pub that night as we had planned. However, if you want to go wild in this area, there is a nice quiet spot about half a mile south along the coast; its in the dunes, and you can't see the sea, but its very quiet - ans there are no signs. In fact no sign of human life at all.

... the issue doesn't seem to be that it would spoil residents' views because its dark at night (?)

I don't think that councils care about residents views. You could have a wonderful view from your house but the council would grant planning permission for a new housing estate at the drop of a hat citing "Nobody has a right to a view".

I have had this happen to me.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back