Northern Ireland Glenarm Harbour

jagmanx

54.968676, -5.951447
Lovely spot just 15 miles north of Larne
1 Water standpipe by harbour office..checked OK
2 Toilets and showers also I checked I could empty cassette again OK (shower probably OK)
3 Other toilets available nearby
4 Plenty of room 1 other MH (NL) and a local in a caravan
5 Pubs and shop nearby
6 Hardstanding
No signs indicating any problem

PS
Day 1 of our NI tour

Yep, nice spot, was our first night when we did part of Wild Atlantic Way. Our own Trevskoda and family made an appearance and met up. If he turns up, hide the biscuits, his lovely kids know how to tuck them away. :lol-053:

Ha ha ,one goes in there mouth and one in the back pocket for me later.:rulez
There are lots more places all the way up the coast,do get round to magilligan ferry and cross over there to republic,try to go to kinnego bay marked on right after turning left from ferry.

Yes, Thanks Trev

Ha ha ,one goes in there mouth and one in the back pocket for me later.:rulez
There are lots more places all the way up the coast,do get round to magilligan ferry and cross over there to republic,try to go to kinnego bay marked on right after turning left from ferry.

We have 7 weeks maybe 8 so a leisurely tour of "all Ireland" is our plan.
Maybe using the ferry in about 5/6/7 days after the "Rope Bridge" and Giant's Causeway
Then Donegal for several days then the WAW Ring of Kerry etc etc

We have 7 weeks maybe 8 so a leisurely tour of "all Ireland" is our plan.
Maybe using the ferry in about 5/6/7 days after the "Rope Bridge" and Giant's Causeway
Then Donegal for several days then the WAW Ring of Kerry etc etc

Dont pay in or park at the causeway as its a rip of,you can bypass/park up the rd and go in free.
Do not under any mad brain wave try to co round tor head to ballycastle but use the main rd past the disapearing lake.

Last edited:
Just back from a 2 week tour and stopped at Glenarm (20 French vans in convoy when i arrived but they left before teatime ) Agree about the Causeway and rope bridge, I'm a trust member so it was free but wouldn't have liked to pay .In fact i parked up at the rope bridge (free parking)but gave it a miss when i found out the queue was an hour waiting time.I did go up to Torr Head but its not for the faint hearted and another place to be very careful if you go is Malin Head if your touring Derry, i parked at the top which again is not recommended as there is not a lot of room to turn a motorhome round .(I was lucky as a 4x4 was pulling out of a parking place and i backed in otherwise i don't know how i would have turned round.) Magilligan ferry was closed when i called.

Just back from a 2 week tour and stopped at Glenarm (20 French vans in convoy when i arrived but they left before teatime ) Agree about the Causeway and rope bridge, I'm a trust member so it was free but wouldn't have liked to pay .In fact i parked up at the rope bridge (free parking)but gave it a miss when i found out the queue was an hour waiting time.I did go up to Torr Head but its not for the faint hearted and another place to be very careful if you go is Malin Head if your touring Derry, i parked at the top which again is not recommended as there is not a lot of room to turn a motorhome round .(I was lucky as a 4x4 was pulling out of a parking place and i backed in otherwise i don't know how i would have turned round.) Magilligan ferry was closed when i called.

Ferry is seasonal but cuts out letterkenny if going up the first peninsula,the second peninsula is v/good as the national park ,dunlewy center and capucin monistery along with dunree fort are on the west side,some nice beaches to as you go round the atlantic way.

Agreed re: pay to view the basaltic stones. You are actually better visit after the centre has closed, as the place is usually heaving, not so, late afternoon, early evening after the swarm leave. We actually ended up staying the night on visitor centre car park, didn't have much choice, as MH developed an electrical fault.

Point is, no problem staying over, I wasn't challenged.

Yep remember that,it was the alarm,think you had to reset with time lapse.

Aye, was one part of the CAT1 immobiliser system not talking the other. I gave up trying to suss it out when dusk fell, then headed for a few tinnies to relax me......as you do :cheers:

I spoke with you the following morning, I refused your kind offer for you to drive over for a look, I also think by this time, I had called my recovery company and, while awaiting the truck, I was trying other routes to have a fix, then boom, engine fired up.........lol.

An embarrassing moment explaining to truck driver (who arrived at CP) MH was now up and running, the gent was fine, we agreed my battery was flat....lol.

As with most in house alarms they only ever catch the owner out.:mad1::hammer::lol-053:

I see that it's business as usual for you, Trev.
You should get an OBE. for services to the NI tourist industry, The order of the shamrock , for services to the Eire tourist industry.. and a Wildcamping mug, for services to this community.
Let's start a campaign.:anyone:

Dont pay in or park at the causeway as its a rip of,you can bypass/park up the rd and go in free.
Do not under any mad brain wave try to co round tor head to ballycastle but use the main rd past the disapearing lake.

You must be getting old and forgetful,trev.
What about the ferry trip to Rathin Island and the white knuckle bus tour.?
Nearly as spectacular as The Causeway.

I see that it's business as usual for you, Trev.
You should get an OBE. for services to the NI tourist industry, The order of the shamrock , for services to the Eire tourist industry.. and a Wildcamping mug, for services to this community.
Let's start a campaign.:anyone:

Seamus is having a word with old vin-- t--ts,mabe a knighthood.:bow:
Though being a irish land owner i got a award for been outstanding in my own field.:lol-053:

Anyone doing the malin head do stop at the bottom or middle park,dont go all the way up as no turning & middle will be the same at weekends,its only a short walk to top but also can be windy so carry a light coat,no hats.
West roads are now good due to eu money so going down to donegal town /ballyshannon and beyond is a nice run,from ballyshannon you can turn east to enniskillen town and waterways,do go to florence court house /forest park,not forgetting marble arch caves which is a must,good parking here,tour of caves takes about one hr.
There is also a good camp site and park at castle archdale with marina,this was a ww2 flying boat station and slipways /hard standing is where the caravans and campervans use,tents to.
From enniskillen a nice rive down to carrick on shannon with waterway night stops along the way,the town is v/nice with lots of pubs and eating houses,toilets at bottom of town at river edge,big shops to for the girls.
West from here to connemara nat park & the ten pins mtns n59 on to galway,a must do,you can over night at harbour or salt hill just before gaway.
N18 to burren nat park which is as far as i have got to date folks.

Attachments

• ad war.jpg
    ad war.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 116
  • ca.jpg
    ca.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 115
  • ca 2.jpg
    ca 2.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 113
  • ch 1.jpg
    ch 1.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 127
  • connemara.jpg
    connemara.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 121
  • house.jpg
    house.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 106
  • mac3.jpg
    mac3.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 109
  • mac4.jpg
    mac4.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 109
  • mac 1.jpg
    mac 1.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 111
  • mac 2.jpg
    mac 2.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 114
  • war 2.jpg
    war 2.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 110
  • map.jpg
    map.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Anyone doing the malin head do stop at the bottom or middle park,dont go all the way up as no turning & middle will be the same at weekends,its only a short walk to top but also can be windy so carry a light coat,no hats.
West roads are now good due to eu money so going down to donegal town /ballyshannon and beyond is a nice run,from ballyshannon you can turn east to enniskillen town and waterways,do go to florence court house /forest park,not forgetting marble arch caves which is a must,good parking here,tour of caves takes about one hr.
There is also a good camp site and park at castle archdale with marina,this was a ww2 flying boat station and slipways /hard standing is where the caravans and campervans use,tents to.
From enniskillen a nice rive down to carrik on shannon with waterway night stops along the way,the tow is v/nice with lots of pubs and eating houses,toilets at bottom of town at river edge,big shops to for the girls.
West from here to connemara nat park & the ten pins mtns n59 on to galway,a must do,you can over night at harbour or salt hill just before gaway.
N18 to burren nat parkwhich is as far as i have got to date folks.

Some great info here, thanks! We are headed to Ireland at the end of July but only have 2 weeks so will be spoiled for choice!!

Keith

Some great info here, thanks! We are headed to Ireland at the end of July but only have 2 weeks so will be spoiled for choice!!

Keith

Some picys added,do go donegal as its small but a lot in one place,you will love it as very wild and nice to the eye.

Some picys added,do go donegal as its small but a lot in one place,you will love it as very wild and nice to the eye.

The plan at the moment is to head from Dublin to West coast then drive upwards during the first week and spend the second week in Donegal. We have never been to Ireland so looking forward to the trip.

Thanks!

Keith

I thought the Causeway was National Trust - do you still have to pay to park even if you're a member?

If you walk up to the woods through Glenarm village you may spot the Red squirrels.
First time ever for me when I visited last year in July.

Last edited:
I thought the Causeway was National Trust - do you still have to pay to park even if you're a member?

Trust own building but not sure about car park,most folk park up the hill at old school walk down to causeway which is free,its just the rip of new building that charges,to be honest there is not much to see at causeway.

Last edited:
The plan at the moment is to head from Dublin to West coast then drive upwards during the first week and spend the second week in Donegal. We have never been to Ireland so looking forward to the trip.

Thanks!

Keith

If it were me i would drive north from dub to newgrange and boyne valley then carlingford,from there turn west to inniskillen and on to donegal town,from there north round coast.mind you as most who come here unless you know where to go you will mis all the good bits,hidden gems.:sad:

If you walk up to the woods through Glenarm village you may spot the Red squirrels.
First time ever for me when I visited last year in July.

I thought they were rats that had drank to much red bush tea.:lol-053:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back