North Cornwall in autumn/winter

Paddy1

Having lived in Cornwall for many years, both west and north, in finding it increasing difficult to park overnight in North Cornwall, mainly due to the money grabbing, fascist council here.
Also around border areas, the attitudes are bad towards stopovers.
Does anyone know of any good overnight stops in North Cornwall? I'm aware in the west there are plenty.
Thanks in advance.

Tintagel overnight

Hi
Try Tintagel there are some private car parks there that allow overnight camping from £3.50 per night. But dont use the council car park unless you want a PCN.

Having lived in Cornwall for many years, both west and north, in finding it increasing difficult to park overnight in North Cornwall, mainly due to the money grabbing, fascist council here.
Does anyone know of any good overnight stops in North Cornwall? I'm aware in the west there are plenty.
Thanks in advance.

Limited knowledge but Devon is much more user friendly I think

Just been down to Padstow area. Anywhere they think you might stop has got signs. Some look as though they have been added. ' No Motorhomes between 22:00 and 08:00 ' seems to be the norm. We stopped in Weston Super Mare on the way down and had a nice night on a very quiet road. It's on the WC Database. Seems daft really when the council could easily provide parking along the front but all they want to do is ban it.

Just been down to Padstow area. Anywhere they think you might stop has got signs. Some look as though they have been added. ' No Motorhomes between 22:00 and 08:00 ' seems to be the norm. We stopped in Weston Super Mare on the way down and had a nice night on a very quiet road. It's on the WC Database. Seems daft really when the council could easily provide parking along the front but all they want to do is ban it.

There are 3 parking spaces for motorhomes in the harbour car park at Padstow,it is possible to get a 24 hour parking ticket but they don't allow overnight sleeping. I wouldn't like to venture further into the town with the van as the streets are narrow and very busy in summer,never been in winter.

The National Trust have a lot of parking in Cornwall which is free of charge for members but again I don't think the NT allow overnight sleeping.
http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/documents/national-trust-parking-places-in-cornwall.pdf

Thanks in advance.

Hi Paddy1, Welcome to Cornwall. I am from North Cornwall and I can assure you there is multitudes of places you can park. Especially along the coastal roads where there are laybys. Just stop off anywhere along the trail roads and you will be lrft in peace as long as you do not overstay your welcome. Wish you all the best.☺☺

There are 3 parking spaces for motorhomes in the harbour car park at Padstow,it is possible to get a 24 hour parking ticket but they don't allow overnight sleeping. I wouldn't like to venture further into the town with the van as the streets are narrow and very busy in summer,never been in winter.

The National Trust have a lot of parking in Cornwall which is free of charge for members but again I don't think the NT allow overnight sleeping.
http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/documents/national-trust-parking-places-in-cornwall.pdf

Car Park in Padstow is £2 for 12 hours this time of year and there are a couple of bays for MH's. We went to Rick Stein's so we moved to where the buses parked as it was a bit dark where the MH's should be. No MH's after 22:00 ..

We found one NT Car Park that looked Ok but we were going to Nathan Outlaw's in Rock so we stayed at the Rock Methodist Church :lol-061: .. Here .. We were up and gone before anyone noticed we were there.

In Derbyshire the other week we noticed a Camera in one NT Car Park. Heavily disguised but you could see the cable. Noticed it when I was looking out of the window at some local wildlife. Got the binoculars out for a real close look. One of those with camouflage paint. Just by chance I noticed it so I wonder how many more are out there.

We have stayed at Kynance Cove on the Lizard Peninsular over night. The guy was not bothered as he said they only paid him from 9am - 5pm so as far as he was concerned anything that happened after 5pm was nothing to do with him. We watched the following morning when he approached a car that had parked overnight and didn't have a ticket. Recon the guy would have gone if he hadn't been standing in front of him. No hourly rate just a day rate and he was parked after 9am ...

Last edited:
Thanks in advance.

I heard someone stayed at Tamar Lakes, but possibly with some permit from South West Water? Not sure of the situation around Crowdy Reservoir and Davidstowe airfield but possibly worth a look in daylight?

well there is one full timer down in north cornwallat moment he posted the other night he was in tintagel have stayed there ther is plenty of quite place just get off the main drag and find a quiet spot just dont overstay then you wont attract attention

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back