North Coast 500

The only trouble doing it in Winter Bill is its that far north by the time you get out of bed, have Brunch, have a shower and think about setting off somewhere it will be dark again! :D

I hope they don't start promoting the A66! Get your kicks on Route 66!!!! :ROFLMAO: "Whitehaven to Keswick, Down to Scotch Corner, Middlesbrough city just dont look pretty, oh yeah!!" :LOL:
Typical sassenach, have a shower, then Brunch, then think about heading out :ROFLMAO:

It’s get up at 7.30, out the door for 8.30, and back for 3.30 after a good day out.
As for brunch, it’s in the Ruckie, and the shower can wait till the evening after High tea. :ROFLMAO:

You don’t need a shower very often in winter in Scotland, not unless you have a very effective heater in the van lol.

Why anyone would go in the summer I do not know

In winter :unsure:

They must have duck down jackets Terry. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
You
In winter :unsure:

They must have duck down jackets Terry. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Bill, you obviously missed the Blue Planet episode where Sir David described the the finding of the Artic Midge. Who migrate to our balmy winter temperatures to escape their freezing winter climate to source bare skin and blood to thrive own. The episode will be on YouTube.

I did Whitehaven to Scotch Corner on my 66th birthday.

I was on the Beemer, my mate was on his Harley.

Great day.

The best bits are either side of the A66 though. Biker heaven. Don't tell anyone.

We did the general area in a car in 06 and then in a van in 08, we touched part of it last week 2024 and it is awful, I put up with all the hire vans for about 20 miles then kicked it into touch, that crap channel 4 program will only make it worse, there are a few places to park up but people are driving round and end up parking in stupid places and it will only get worse.

Stay away would be my advise unless you like frustrating driving.

We did the general area in a car in 06 and then in a van in 08, we touched part of it last week 2024 and it is awful, I put up with all the hire vans for about 20 miles then kicked it into touch, that crap channel 4 program will only make it worse, there are a few places to park up but people are driving round and end up parking in stupid places and it will only get worse.

Stay away would be my advise unless you like frustrating driving.
Depends when you go Kev, and where you go.
And the when does not solely relate to the time of year, but the time of day.
I had never ventured into Smoo Caves in Durness before, but in April I made sure we arrived at night, and apart from an Austrian couple we were alone. I found early April to be fine, not to busy. We spent a night alone at the Kylescu car park.
In winter the north of Scotland looks even better. The hills are topped with snow, and the air is clearer offering much better views.
The masses have all returned home, the Motorhome hire companies offer large discounts because demand has plummeted, and it’s a much better experience for those who are willing to adventure at that time of year. Obviously be careful driving, and make sure you carry plenty of supplies in case the weather turns nasty. Check the forecasts, then head out, and I am sure you will see these places when they look and feel much better than they do from May to September.

This photo was taken in winter two miles from were I live, the Campsie Hills look far more spectacular in winter, than they do in summer, and not a soul to be seen.
IMG_4044.jpeg

Last edited:
I hate that name "NC 500". One Easter 2 week break, we ran from Inverness straight up the middle to Tongue, then cut left toward Durness and our West Coast. No rushing to get around, travel at a leisurely pace, none of this go go go stuff. We had at least ten days of blue skies, cool at night though, which was not a worry. This would have been pre 2015, as we were using our Dethleffs that trip. Couple of years later, East coast route, East Nuek, Dundee, Aberdeen, Inverness, keeping with the East Coast until we reached J o G's. then west towards Tongue.

I'm glad we did the route way back then, as it reads to be horrendous now, not our idea of getting out and enjoying our beautiful country. That said though, I'm getting severe withdrawal symtoms to get back up there, Achmelvich Bay, Ardnamurchan to take the Kilchoan to Tobermoray ferry to Mull............Hmmmmmmm.

Depends when you go Kev, and where you go.
And the when does not solely relate to the time of year, but the time of day.
I had never ventured into Smoo Caves in Durness before, but in April I made sure we arrived at night, and apart from an Austrian couple we were alone. I found early April to be fine, not to busy. We spent a night alone at the Kylescu car park.
In winter the north of Scotland looks even better. The hills are topped with snow, and the air is clearer offering much better views.
The masses have all returned home, the Motorhome hire companies offer large discounts because demand has plummeted, and it’s a much better experience for those who are willing to adventure at that time of year. Obviously be careful driving, and make sure you carry plenty of supplies in case the weather turns nasty. Check the forecasts, then head out, and I am sure you will see these places when they look and feel much better than they do from May to September.

This photo was taken in winter two miles from were I live, the Campsie Hills look far more spectacular in winter, than they do in summer, and not a soul to be seen.
View attachment 134889
The first time was at Easter, then I think the second was late summer or even mid autumn need to see my timeline.

I went up last year and spent October November and December going round the nc500, and adventuring off it. Loved it. No midges, few people, (approximately 15 other vans max for the whole trip and that included a couple of sites). I booked nothing. Only had an issue when Sango sands was closed for two days for a wedding - was planning a service and recharge stop there, diverted off to kinlochbervie harbour and their CDP instead. Beautiful views, weather everything from sunshine and blue skies, to -7 and 10 inches of snow. Just take layers and check your heating is in good order. Amusingly it was 1 degree warmer on Dunnet head (most northerly point) in November, than it was on a beach in Cornwall in July. 🙄

We did the run-up to this year's Orkney meet from Inverness via John O'Groats then Thurso for the ferry.

Our first time in the north of Scotland, so all brand new unexplored territory for us.

This was smack bang in the middle of June, taking us just over two weeks there and back home.

Return journey was from Thurso along to Tongue then turned southwards for an overnight stop off at Bonar Bridge (there's a long-time WC-er we know who now lives there).

Headed back down from Bonar with a quick detour to Cromarty on our friend's recommendation, which is lovely and well worth visiting.

Down the east side of Loch Ness, then a quick visit to the Falkirk Wheel (decided not to bother with it) and a look at the Kelpies (certainly worth a visit for a look-see) then onwards to park up for the night at a fairly remote and quiet POI to the south and east.

We passed very few motorhomes/campers on the roads the entire voyage - apart from JoG which was rammed nose to tail with the b*ggers. Honestly, once you've been to JoG why the heck would anyone ever want to go back?! There's no ferries there any more, so its not even a destination for travelling onwards to anywhere interesting by sea, and the main buildings, retail outlets etc. looked desolate (most units were empty, or in the process of being abandoned). Pretty depressing really. 🤷‍♀️

We did the run-up to this year's Orkney meet from Inverness via John O'Groats then Thurso for the ferry.

Our first time in the north of Scotland, so all brand new unexplored territory for us.

This was smack bang in the middle of June, taking us just over two weeks there and back home.

Return journey was from Thurso along to Tongue then turned southwards for an overnight stop off at Bonar Bridge (there's a long-time WC-er we know who now lives there).

Headed back down from Bonar with a quick detour to Cromarty on our friend's recommendation, which is lovely and well worth visiting.

Down the east side of Loch Ness, then a quick visit to the Falkirk Wheel (decided not to bother with it) and a look at the Kelpies (certainly worth a visit for a look-see) then onwards to park up for the night at a fairly remote and quiet POI to the south and east.

We passed very few motorhomes/campers on the roads the entire voyage - apart from JoG which was rammed nose to tail with the b*ggers. Honestly, once you've been to JoG why the heck would anyone ever want to go back?! There's no ferries there any more, so its not even a destination for travelling onwards to anywhere interesting by sea, and the main buildings, retail outlets etc. looked desolate (most units were empty, or in the process of being abandoned). Pretty depressing really. 🤷‍♀️
Yes Passed JoG on way back from one of our northern trips ....

I say passed as we didn't even bother to slow down ...the view of it from a distance was enough ...

Almost as dismal and depressing as Morecambe .

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:178)

caledonia, andyjanet, barryd, jacquigem, mistericeman, Tonybvi, Martin P, TeamRienza, Nabsim, NSY, ton27, colinm, Tezza33, mariesnowgoose, Val54, Tim120, Kontiki659, Jo001, davep10000, edina, alcam, runnach, MartinFife, Herbenny, marchie, Fisherman, campervanannie, Mobilvetta, Tinapow, exwindsurfer, 1807truckman, izwozral, Wully, Heppy, bdastu, Bigshug, Bouydog, trevskoda, ewen, bobemmo29, funski, flying kipper, The Jacks, JVG, wildebus, st3v3, aross, stonedaddy, Canalsman, Fifer, alwaysared, Kiikiicamps, Obanboy666, jeanette, The Wilsons, Ly085, AdriaTwin, daltosom, gypo, Quiddle, clarkpeacock, campnomad, yeoblade, AllanD, guerdeval, DTF, HurricaneSmith, Walksideways, longtoedsloth, liz, Robmac, davidjlambert, Drover, myvanwy, Alberto, Munroz, 2cv, Debroos, jagmanx, brucews, r4dent, royh28, ajb70, amcjam, Steve and Julie, Sharon the Cat, adriahome, ironman, RSD7a, belbri, TJBi, Andys, Pauljenny, RoaminRog, marsden, scampa, mark61, korky, Boris7, slider69r, Mandoman, tribute11, The laird, jann, Glass man, reiverlad, linkshouse, hamsterberg27, Wooie1958, walpeter, Moxyman, Pudsey Bear, Ted, Thecamperman, NigelW18, Phantom, Dowel, V1nny, freebird, Mr and Mrs Tupcox, Ex Greeny, Rod, noah and nelly, number14, ScarletPimple, Lizzie, CleverTrevorUK, SGSmith, mrs t, GMJ, iampatman, kensowerby, Livotlout, Gasdave, barnard61, MrSoapsud, merl, BRIAN THOMPSON, johnboyjones, Moonraker 2, Tapfitter, VandA, Elfit, eddie5060, Dom, The Collies, RJH, Ken Parsons, Cass, KevinW, outdoorellen, Ellendale, robertd, CWH, Mothership, 2buy4rob, starcott, Dicknmaggie, Sue Paskins, horlicks, ciderboy, Rodders1234, wilfyboy, Thistle, Di1234, geoffnmurph, mick n jules, Alun100, 2Coops, DAVEY, Wardy73, bjh, trevexess, Texastom, jimireland, Djh22, Althesnail, Sgrockle,
Back