North Coast 500

brokenhillkangas

Free Member
Hi everyone, we are looking to take off last week of September to do the North Coast 500. We are wondering how easy it will be to find overnight spots to park up or whether we should book campsites in advance. We will be grateful for any tips.

Hi everyone, we are looking to take off last week of September to do the North Coast 500. We are wondering how easy it will be to find overnight spots to park up or whether we should book campsites in advance. We will be grateful for any tips.
Join as a full member you will find plenty of locations on your sat nav after downloading and on the phone app.not many locations between tongue and Durness

We where there last June, I purchased the book for reference. We stayed on CL,s and Park in the Forest sites and other permitted stops ie Light Houses.
Leave only your foot prints and Tyre track's, we enjoyed our time there.
Hi kontiki659, than you for replying. Park in the Forest sites look like a good option.

I would play it by ear if I were you.

At this time of year I don't think you would have any trouble at all finding a space on a campsite if you have to resort to it. You could of course check availability on a few sites for peace of mind before you set off.

Enjoy.

A week is a very short time. You have to get there; do 500 miles; get home.
The idea is to enjot the journey, not set world records.

Might be better on a short trip
If you insist on seeing Scotland you could consider the P.E.N.I.S. 287. Most of the good bits of NC500, but 40% less miles.

I have to say ....I would never follow the honey trap of the nc500 ...

Yes it has some nice roads BUT it also has a lot of nose to tail motorhomes/campervans/and motoring clubs ...
As well as a fair amount of ticked off locals ...

A large scale map (£5.99 type from a garage ) and search out the dead end roads ending at the sea away from habitation ...

We found some fantastic deserted scenic spots with a plethora of friendly locals ...including being offered a corner of a field or a quiet bit of crofters land .
Map cross referenced with Google earth is your friend ...

Let the sheeple be sheeple .

20160925_173902.jpg
20160926_164246.jpg
20160927_091518.jpg
20160927_102428.jpg
20160927_154143.jpg
20160929_103038.jpg
20160929_112007.jpg
20160929_164828_1.jpg
20160929_192443_1.jpg
20160930_174219.jpg

We where there last June, I purchased the book for reference. We stayed on CL,s and Park in the Forest sites and other permitted stops ie Light Houses.
Leave only your foot prints and Tyre track's, we enjoyed our time there.

Yes it has some nice roads BUT it also has a lot of nose to tail motorhomes/campervans/and motoring clubs ...

A large scale map (£5.99 type from a garage ) and search out the dead end roads ending at the sea away from habitation ...

We found some fantastic deserted scenic spots with a plethora of friendly locals ...including being offered a corner of a field or a quiet bit of crofters land .

View attachment 134863View attachment 134864View attachment 134865View attachment 134866View attachment 134867View attachment 134868View attachment 134869View attachment 134870View attachment 134871View attachment 134872
Large scale map is a great idea, thank you. Nice photos.

A week is a very short time. You have to get there; do 500 miles; get home.
The idea is to enjot the journey, not set world records.

Might be better on a short trip
If you insist on seeing Scotland you could consider the P.E.N.I.S. 287. Most of the good bits of NC500, but 40% less miles.

Thank you for reminding us about this alternative route! Anyone else have a view on this?

View attachment 134863View attachment 134864View attachment 134865View attachment 134866View attachment 134867View attachment 134868View attachment 134869View attachment 134870View attachment 134871View attachment 134872
Do exactly as the man says and enjoy👍

It’s all I hear, I would love to hire a Motorhome and do the NC500, then just to make matters worse spend a week on Skye then head for Glencoe. And when do they want to do this, during the high season, when half of us, and Europe have the same idea. So off they go with one hours tuition on what to do with their rented 7m Motorhome, with little knowledge of how everything works, little experience of driving such a vehicle on narrow single track roads, and worse of all, little knowledge or understanding of our etiquette when wild camping. It’s a recipe for disaster.

I really wish we would stop putting names on driving routes, it tends to make people behave like sheep. It’s ironic when they head up there what do they complain about, to many people, :unsure: which defeats the whole purpose of heading there in the first place. What we have done is take what was a pristine rural part of Scotland and turned into place most parts of the year I would rather avoid. The fact that it was pristine and rural was in the past its main attraction.

My advice is wait till early winter and do the trip then, and try not to watch too many videos of others on YouTube who will tell you where to go. Be open minded and go there with at least some of the trip unplanned. It used to be a beautiful part of Scotland, but now it’s on a par with Glencoe. What sets Scotland apart from England in rural areas is the lack of people, and there are still many parts of Scotland were you can spend a day hillwalking and meet no one all day, and if you do meet someone they will probably be like minded individuals, long may it last.

Last edited:
It’s all I hear, I would love to hire a Motorhome and do the NC500, then just to make matters worse spend a week on Skye then head for Glencoe. And when do they want to do this, during the high season, when half of us, and Europe have the same idea. So off they go with one hours tuition on what to do with their rented 7m Motorhome, with little knowledge of how everything works, little experience of driving such a vehicle on narrow single track roads, and worse of all, little knowledge or understanding of our etiquette when wild camping. It’s a recipe for disaster.

I really wish we would stop putting names on driving routes, it tends to make people behave like sheep. It’s ironic when they head up there what do they complain about, to many people, :unsure: which defeats the whole purpose of heading there in the first place. What we have done is take what was a pristine rural part of Scotland and turned into place most parts of the year I would rather avoid. The fact that it was pristine and rural was in the past its main attraction.

My advice is wait till early winter and do the trip then, and try not to watch too many videos of others on YouTube who will tell you where to go. Be open minded and go there with at least some of the trip unplanned. It used to be a beautiful part of Scotland, but now it’s on a par with Glencoe. What sets Scotland apart from England in rural areas is the lack of people, and there are still many parts of Scotland were you can spend a day hillwalking and meet no one all day, and if you do meet someone they will probably be like minded individuals, long may it last.

The only trouble doing it in Winter Bill is its that far north by the time you get out of bed, have Brunch, have a shower and think about setting off somewhere it will be dark again! :D

I hope they don't start promoting the A66! Get your kicks on Route 66!!!! :ROFLMAO: "Whitehaven to Keswick, Down to Scotch Corner, Middlesbrough city just dont look pretty, oh yeah!!" :LOL:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:178)

caledonia, andyjanet, barryd, jacquigem, mistericeman, Tonybvi, Martin P, TeamRienza, Nabsim, NSY, ton27, colinm, Tezza33, mariesnowgoose, Val54, Tim120, Kontiki659, Jo001, davep10000, edina, alcam, runnach, MartinFife, Herbenny, marchie, Fisherman, campervanannie, Mobilvetta, Tinapow, exwindsurfer, 1807truckman, izwozral, Wully, Heppy, bdastu, Bigshug, Bouydog, trevskoda, ewen, bobemmo29, funski, flying kipper, The Jacks, JVG, wildebus, st3v3, aross, stonedaddy, Canalsman, Fifer, alwaysared, Kiikiicamps, Obanboy666, jeanette, The Wilsons, Ly085, AdriaTwin, daltosom, gypo, Quiddle, clarkpeacock, campnomad, yeoblade, AllanD, guerdeval, DTF, HurricaneSmith, Walksideways, longtoedsloth, liz, Robmac, davidjlambert, Drover, myvanwy, Alberto, Munroz, 2cv, Debroos, jagmanx, brucews, r4dent, royh28, ajb70, amcjam, Steve and Julie, Sharon the Cat, adriahome, ironman, RSD7a, belbri, TJBi, Andys, Pauljenny, RoaminRog, marsden, scampa, mark61, korky, Boris7, slider69r, Mandoman, tribute11, The laird, jann, Glass man, reiverlad, linkshouse, hamsterberg27, Wooie1958, walpeter, Moxyman, Pudsey Bear, Ted, Thecamperman, NigelW18, Phantom, Dowel, V1nny, freebird, Mr and Mrs Tupcox, Ex Greeny, Rod, noah and nelly, number14, ScarletPimple, Lizzie, CleverTrevorUK, SGSmith, mrs t, GMJ, iampatman, kensowerby, Livotlout, Gasdave, barnard61, MrSoapsud, merl, BRIAN THOMPSON, johnboyjones, Moonraker 2, Tapfitter, VandA, Elfit, eddie5060, Dom, The Collies, RJH, Ken Parsons, Cass, KevinW, outdoorellen, Ellendale, robertd, CWH, Mothership, 2buy4rob, starcott, Dicknmaggie, Sue Paskins, horlicks, ciderboy, Rodders1234, wilfyboy, Thistle, Di1234, geoffnmurph, mick n jules, Alun100, 2Coops, DAVEY, Wardy73, bjh, trevexess, Texastom, jimireland, Djh22, Althesnail, Sgrockle,
Back