Nomadland

I enjoyed it when I saw it some time ago. Bit of an eye opener.

A cross between movie & fly-on-the-wall documentary. Felt longer than 1:40 hours, if I’m honest.
In the end she could no longer sleep in a normal bed - had to keep moving now she’s a true nomad.

Watching this in parts as heavy going. still got 20 minutes to go but so far looks like a bloody awful way to live - at least for the main person being followed.
The descriptions I seem to recall seeing about this film when it first came out were things like "inspirational" and "heart warming". "Depressing" is the word that comes to mind.

Watching this in parts as heavy going. still got 20 minutes to go but so far looks like a bloody awful way to live - at least for the main person being followed.
The descriptions I seem to recall seeing about this film when it first came out were things like "inspirational" and "heart warming". "Depressing" is the word that comes to mind.

Yup 👍

I liked it, shows what is happening in America and how much better it is set up there than over here. We have an awful lot of people living in vehicles here but very little for them in places to park, temporary work etc. don’t say campsites cos a lot I know couldn’t afford them

I watched a few minutes when it first came out but wasn’t my cup of tea.
Afaik the leads were actors but some of the supporting roles were portrayed by real people.

iirc it won an Oscar or three

I watched it last night, not really my cup of tea either. To be honest I wish I hadn't bothered.

There’s a better one on Netflix a young German couple convert an old American school bus and travel through Canada America and Mexico drags on in places but easy watching. Expedition Happiness

I watched it and it felt more of a documentary as I would assume each little tale of bad luck and illness is based on facts gathered from van dwellers by the film makers. I did not find it depressing, more like uplifting at how ordinary people can take on adversity and survive as a like minded group.

Give me this over Captain Marvel and the rest of that s**t anyday. :giggle:

I watched it last night, not really my cup of tea either. To be honest I wish I hadn't bothered.
yup, I wish it was 2 hours of my life I hadn't spent watching it.

but we now all know the toilet options .... buckets of 3, 5 or 7 gallons depending how tall you are, plus how bad the main character's #2s smell.
There are details that are just not needed in a film!

yup, I wish it was 2 hours of my life I hadn't spent watching it.

but we now all know the toilet options .... buckets of 3, 5 or 7 gallons depending how tall you are, plus how bad the main character's #2s smell.
There are details that are just not needed in a film!

I thought the same.

But the whole thing was just too slow for me, ok it might have reflected the mood, but maybe I just wasn't in the mood for that mood!

I watched it and it felt more of a documentary as I would assume each little tale of bad luck and illness is based on facts gathered from van dwellers by the film makers. I did not find it depressing, more like uplifting at how ordinary people can take on adversity and survive as a like minded group.

Give me this over Captain Marvel and the rest of that s**t anyday. :giggle:
If I remember right from when they first made the film, the woman who wrote it spent a year or so living as a nomad to get the story. A lot of the people in the film are nomads, just the main characters that are actors, most of the van dwellers except the woman and Dave are van dwellers.
I thought the same as you Jim except I do also like some of the Marvel/DC comics stuff haha

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back