Noisy diesel heaters.

speaking of dinosaurs ... Why did the Dinosaur cross the road?

'cos Chickens hadn't been invented yet.

Chickens are our closest match to Dinosaurs though ;-)

“We determined that T rex, in fact, grouped with birds – ostrich and chicken – better than any other organism that we studied,” said Prof John Asara from Harvard to Telegraph. It determined avians’ relationships with non-avian dinosaur’s evolution.

“We also show that it groups better with birds than modern reptiles, such as alligators and green anole lizards,” he continued. It means that although dinosaurs were reptiles, modern days reptiles are their more distant cousins rather than birds.

On a few occasions we've been parked up near vans that were running their diesel heaters and quite surprised at just how noisy they are, a bit like a jet waiting to take off!

My chausson had a diesel heater and you described it perfectly. After a few minutes it did quieten down, but it was noisy at the start. But it was a good heater and kept us warm. The new van has the Truma inet system. What I like about that is on EHU we don’t use any gas except in extreme weather when it uses both gas and electric. But I do believe it’s possible to make diesel heaters work with less noise fitting a silencer, I can only assume our chausson has no silencer fitted.

We have a new Rapido, i am horrified by how noisy the truma heating is! And that isn’t diesel. Much nosier than the truma in our old Cheyenne Autotrail, and that was 2003. Also we turn the fridge of overnight because of the noise that makes. Other motorhomers we have talked to say the same, most are turning fridges of overnight. So much for new things being better!

I have a Webasto Diesel heater in my van with a silencer fitted and it is very quiet if you stand outside my van. unfortunately inside my van it is too noisy for me to sleep.

Chickens are our closest match to Dinosaurs though ;-)

“We determined that T rex, in fact, grouped with birds – ostrich and chicken – better than any other organism that we studied,” said Prof John Asara from Harvard to Telegraph. It determined avians’ relationships with non-avian dinosaur’s evolution.

“We also show that it groups better with birds than modern reptiles, such as alligators and green anole lizards,” he continued. It means that although dinosaurs were reptiles, modern days reptiles are their more distant cousins rather than birds.
Have you watched this, we keep chickens and thought it was great

Some people won't pay to silence them. Agreed they are noisy starting up, but generally much quieter once settled down. On my next installation I'm going to try two silencers.
If I am going to get a Chinese one fitted what would I ask for regarded silencer sorry but really new to all this

I was camped up in Kielder recently, so very quiet environment. There was a VW probably 10m away. We both had our heater's on. Their's was considerably noisier than mine and could still be heard quite close to my van, over the top of mine.

I have both an inlet and exhaust silencer and the pump in a rubber bracket.

Got my silencer from an Eberspacher supplier. Butler Technic maybe.

I get more concerned using it in an Aire type environment, due to the smell and occassion smoke as it moves from tickover to higher power.

Last edited:
Where do you get these silencers from?

Ebay usually...

Make sure sizes are correct as this is a genuine eber one.

there was a lot of talk about this on another forum. it may be a good idea to use smooth plastic pipe or heater hose for the inlet as perhaps the corrugations on the metal pipes made more noise .

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back