Noisy diesel heaters.

Phantom

On a few occasions we've been parked up near vans that were running their diesel heaters and quite surprised at just how noisy they are, a bit like a jet waiting to take off!

On a few occasions we've been parked up near vans that were running their diesel heaters and quite surprised at just how noisy they are, a bit like a jet waiting to take off!
Some people won't pay to silence them. Agreed they are noisy starting up, but generally much quieter once settled down. On my next installation I'm going to try two silencers.

We had someone moor a boat near us in a Marina. What a racket at 6am in the morning.You certainly could not have a lie in. When we moaned about it we were told that the kids got up early and it was cold. No consideration for others. SWMBO would have a dicky fit if she thought others would be upset by what we we doing.

We had someone moor a boat near us in a Marina. What a racket at 6am in the morning.You certainly could not have a lie in. When we moaned about it we were told that the kids got up early and it was cold. No consideration for others. SWMBO would have a dicky fit if she thought others would be upset by what we we doing.
Were you also in a boat.

I think many people don't realise you can fit an silencer to the air inlet and that it is very effective.
and just to prove you right, I didn't know about the inlet silencer, any more info?. I have one on the exhaust side, but agree its a bit like a jet starting when it is on its power up cycle, and although its not too intrusive once it has the van up to temperature, any further improvement would help.

I would say it is noisier outside the van than it is when inside, which is obviously the better option if you are sleeping in there

and just to prove you right, I didn't know about the inlet silencer, any more info?. I have one on the exhaust side, but agree its a bit like a jet starting when it is on its power up cycle, and although its not too intrusive once it has the van up to temperature, any further improvement would help.

I would say it is noisier outside the van than it is when inside, which is obviously the better option if you are sleeping in there
Hi,
it is literally the same as you fit to the exhaust. Just fit in line between the heater and the filter
this is mine ....

Inlet Muffler
by David, on Flickr

Some say fitting a pair of silencers to the exhaust is effective as well. I tried that but didn't a change in level, but there was a different tone so maybe that makes a difference?

Last edited:
As above fitting of BOTH exhaust AND inlet silencers makes a big difference to noise levels as does choosing the correct size of heater for the vehicle (a lot of the Chinese copies are actually closer to 5kw than 2kw)
And bigger isn't always better as it can cause the heater to constantly cycle through its initiation/boost cycle with the fan running full tilt and fuel pump flat out.

Temperature setting is also critical to keeping the heater ticking over on minimal fan/fuel AND electrical consumption.

What do you call a writer from Haworth with redness of the bum..
A Bronte.......

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back