No parking in Royan

toasty

Free Member
From Vicarious Books, hope this hasnt been posted already:

`At the beginning of March 2016 a new by-law was passed in the French city of Royan banning motorhomes and caravans from parking or stopping pretty much anywhere in the city except at the Aire. The by-law can be read in its entirety here: http://www.ville-royan.fr/images/Arretes/16-0130.pdf, including the list of 35 roads and parking areas where the bans are being put in place.
In a nutshell, all vehicles which can be used for 'camping and habitation' have been banned from stopping anywhere in the town for the following reasons:
They disrupt the flow of traffic
They ruin the aesthetic character of the town (i.e. disrupt the sea view)
And there is dedicated motorhome parking at the Aire
This means that motorhomers may not be able to visit a local restaurant or shop without parking at the Aire first, paying the €12 fee, and making their way into town on foot or via public transport. And caravanners may not be able to visit the town at all without finding suitable parking elsewhere.`

In my opinion Royan has never really been friendly to motorhomes. From memory there is an aire at St-Georges-de-Didonne just outside Royan, but it's not the best.

We used to stay at Meschers-sur-Gironde or Mortagne-sur-Gironde just down the coast, both of which have nice aires, right on the harbour, or head to La Rochelle which is nicer than Royan anyway. Royan's loss is their gain I reckon.

The main coast road from Palmyre to Royan was hammered with MH parked up for weeks on end when I was there a couple of years ago

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back