Rabkia

Free Member
Good afternoon, my wife and I have been considering a motor home now for a couple of years, we’ve saved hard and finally think we have enough to get a decent used van, but which one , there’s going to be just two people and two hounds lol, criteria for me is as large a shower as possible and preferably large bed, auto gearbox, I’ve been looking now for years and just can’t find what I’m after , I’ve been to the hymer centre in Stafford and although that style appeals to me the inside didn’t, so any advice as to which type offers these things , weee hoping to use it for weekends and all school holidays with a view to taking it to Europe

Hi and welcome along to the group. An approx spend and age guide would help people direct you. Personally I’d recommend any German built van but in no order Burstner, Dethleffs, Hymer, Carthago, Frankia, plus Rapido which is French.

Thx Philly, we’re both mid fifties, like a bit of space to put things tidy, two lil cockapoos for companions, budget we’re looking at around £50-60k for a good size used van I hope , I do like the hymer style and the rapido, like I say it needs to be auto and have a decent size shower as I’m not a skinny fella, but thx for the advice 👍

Hi and welcome, my two penny worth, keep saving and go to the Motorhome and Caravan Show at Birmingham NEC, 18th-23rd October. Two days should do it. There’s enough hotels, book early 😉.

Have a good look at everything on offer, think about your personal requirements as far as layout goes, engine size and then absolutely trample as many as you can within your price range or slightly above (don’t forget, display models are there to be trampled, not just looked at😉) ask a lot of questions, get them to show you how everything works, beds, heating, water intake, outflow, toilet, winterisation, guarantees, precise payloads and anything else you can dream up.

If you find something you actually like that fits the bill despite inevitable compromise, leave the show with your wallet in tact, think long and hard about which one most fits the bill and then go looking for one around 18 months old still under warranty. Preferably take someone along with you who knows a little about motorhomes.

Just my opinion.

Hi and welcome from Co Antrim, looked for a few years and only saw one van which had big open space in the middle around the kitchen which ment no limbo dancing around tables and other obstacles, to expensive for all you got, so just built my own from an ex library bus, miles better and has all the toys they way I wanted them fitted, like solar and refillable gas tanks etc, good luck with the search.

Hi and welcome, my two penny worth, keep saving and go to the Motorhome and Caravan Show at Birmingham NEC, 18th-23rd October. Two days should do it. There’s enough hotels, book early 😉.

Have a good look at everything on offer, think about your personal requirements as far as layout goes, engine size and then absolutely trample as many as you can within your price range or slightly above (don’t forget, display models are there to be trampled, not just looked at😉) ask a lot of questions, get them to show you how everything works, beds, heating, water intake, outflow, toilet, winterisation, guarantees, precise payloads and anything else you can dream up.

If you find something you actually like that fits the bill despite inevitable compromise, leave the show with your wallet in tact, think long and hard about which one most fits the bill and then go looking for one around 18 months old still under warranty. Preferably take someone along with you who knows a little about motorhomes.

Just my opinion.
Thx

Just my opinion.
Thx **** certainly try and get there as we’re only 8-10miles from nec,

We used to have caravans but health and age converted us to motorhomes! We spent many hours looking at any used ones we could find and noted any we saw on our travels. As we holiday in France we decided to get a LHD which generally meant a German make. Again a lot of looking around, we nearly bought a USA RV, it was being done up with the remaining work not too difficult. Finally we found an advert for our classic Hymer 654 in London, we had to travel from Devon with our two dogs to see it. In the end we bought it then had to drive home from the previous Olympic area in the dark, it was an interesting experience to say the least! Since 2017 we have had 3 holidays in France and replaced many parts and improved others, we are soon off to France again and will be doing many more of those and trips here in the UK too. Only you will be happy with what you want, if you go to the NEC show perhaps have a table of what make and model, what you want, how the various vans meet your needs, price etc, I would certainly become pretty fuzzy after looking at several!!

A few thoughts...

If used van don't buy anything without damp reports, and check what accessories it has.
Continental vans often lack an oven, useful for Chickens pies and pizza.
If you're a big guy check the bed and sit on the toilet.
Stand at the narrowest point and get your partner to go from front of van to back.
Can you make the bed?
Check tyre age (Tyres are age coded).
Is it alarmed? Does alarm have a perimeter only mode?
Cam belt change due?
Were will you keep it?
How will you secure dogs during travel?
What is the warranty and how far is it to the dealer?
Think about weight (do you have C1?). Over 3.5 is less Road tax than under 3.5 (illogical, but that is the way it is.)

Research; research research.

Oh, by the way..... welcome and enjoy whatever you get.

Hi we have an Autosleeper winchcombe that meets most of your criteria as it has a large bathroom and shower
It is very spacious inside, the two long settees either make two good size single beds
Or a huge double bed, it is on the sprinter chassis with the 7 speed auto box

Hi, everything **** says, but at risk of being indelicate, not every couple wants single beds. If this includes you, you can rule out many models at a stroke.

Many people will tell you that it takes three vans before you get the right one. You can do all the research beforehand but until you actually use it you won't know what works for you and what doesn't. Be prepared to compromise. You say you want a big bathroom which implies you like a good shower. You'll need a big water tank then and have you then thought about where you will refill it and dump your grey water. How tall are you. Much above 6 foot and you'll find the beds aren't long enough. As has already been mentioned, sit on the toilet. Is there enough room to er...do the necessary. We are on our third motorhome,each one a little better in some ways than the last but really is a change in our compromises and priorities. Have you thought of hiring one to try it out. Very expensive I know but may be a good starting point. Good luck in your quest.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back