Newbie Question

Loretta

I bet this been asked before but I'm really a newbie and don't know anything about electrics
Is the leisure Battery charged by the engine? Is it a separate charging circuit from the Motor battery? Or do I need to connect the van to the mains from time to time to charge the leisure Battery?
Does it depend of the vehicle? and if yes how do i find out?

Thank you:help::confused:

you really need to get a test meter,if you need more info on what sort i'll give you a link.
the leisure battery [LB] is normally charged from the engine by means of a split charge relay. this is a simple automatic switch that allows charge from the alternator to the LB,but won't allow any appliance or light fitting to use power from the van battery [VB] .
to find out if you have a relay you should test the voltage of the LB when the engine is off,it should be about 12volts,then test again after starting the engine.the voltage should be over 13 volts

this meter has continuity testing, very important http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/digital-multimeter-with-voltage-detector-n61lk

Last edited:
As above. It should be charged when the van is running. However, many systems also charge the battery when connected to 240v. So it is also worth checking the voltage at the battery when the mains are connected.

Your profile shows you have an Autotrail Apache. A modern c class motorhome like you have will charge the leisure batteries when on the move and when connected to 240v hookup.
If it isn't there is something wrong with the charging system.
Why are you asking ? Are you having problems with your leisure batteries ?

Your profile shows you have an Autotrail Apache. A modern c class motorhome like you have will charge the leisure batteries when on the move and when connected to 240v hookup.
If it isn't there is something wrong with the charging system.
Why are you asking ? Are you having problems with your leisure batteries ?

Hi Obanboy
No problem with the leisure bat, Just the motor Battery :mad1: Just geting some info "Just in case", Yes it is a Apache but is from 2003, Is that still modern?

And Mr. Brown i'm gona get one of those thingamagings

Thanks

Hi Obanboy
No problem with the leisure bat, Just the motor Battery :mad1: Just geting some info "Just in case", Yes it is a Apache but is from 2003, Is that still modern?

And Mr. Brown i'm gona get one of those thingamagings

Thanks

My engine battery also charges when parked up on 240v hookup, I'm 100% certain yours will do so. Yes your motorhome is relatively modern.

Hi, get your main battery tested, as if it's on the way out you many find that the alternator is having to work extra hard trying to keep your main battery charged up.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back