Newbie: Pub stopover ettiquette

quilkin

Hi, I new to this and will (next week) be travelling round the S of England in a hired VW T5 - I'm actually looking for a T5 to buy. On the way I want to stop at pubs etc rather than laybys or carparks. Any guidelines or suggestions for a newbie (there'll be just me in the van) - or is it just a case of asking about the overnight parking and buying a meal? Thanks in advance.

We often use a site pub stop overs but there’s also some on here a top is always phone ahead to make sure it’s ok to stay
Tell them you are having refreshments and or a meal
Hope this is of use
You could always post here asking a member who knows what area you will be in for recommendations as this site is happy to help if pos

Welcome.
Avoid pubs from the big chains and at busy locations lf you do phone ahead, you could get the duty manager, who is not paid to make such decisions... Insurance ,legal liability..blah blah.
A landlord run country pub is a better idea. If you talk to the Gaffer, ask about food, you'll be more welcome.
Try not to drop the bandit jackpot, win the quiz or pull the barmaid, though. It spoils it for the rest of us..

Thanks for replies so far. Good to see an active forum.
I'm looking to stay one night in new forest / Bournemouth area and one night somewhere near Brighton. Any recommendations?

Welcome.
Avoid pubs from the big chains and at busy locations lf you do phone ahead, you could get the duty manager, who is not paid to make such decisions... Insurance ,legal liability..blah blah.
A landlord run country pub is a better idea. If you talk to the Gaffer, ask about food, you'll be more welcome.
Try not to drop the bandit jackpot, win the quiz or pull the barmaid, though. It spoils it for the rest of us..

I agree with all of the above (apart from the barmaid bit) .
Basically if you are using a pub and/or its facilities it's only courtesy to purchase drink and , preferably , food .
p.s. fecking tap water doesn't count !

Like Paul says , the quiet countryside pubs , you should not have a problem as long as you use the pub

Try using the POIs and streetview. Nice looking pub at Newhaven and another at Brockenhurst.
The pubs are shown as Ph, then just click the little man in the corner for a view of where you'll be to see if you like the look of it.

Thanks for replies so far. Good to see an active forum.
I'm looking to stay one night in new forest / Bournemouth area and one night somewhere near Brighton. Any recommendations?

Have a look in the POI Database ..

There are lots of places to stop .. Enjoy your trip ..

Phone pub, book table.

Mention you hoped to stay for a few beers then sleep in your small campervan in the car park, if it's ok?

I think the small bit is important so they know you won't be blocking half the car park.

Britstop

Hi, you mention new forest.....there's a mega stopover at a cider farm right in the middle. 2 quid ehu and great walks....hand pulled ale close by....it's a good stop....Maja

The basic idea is if you drop fifty quid in the bar on food and drink you didn't really want or need, then you get to park in a deserted carpark with no facilities all night for "free". Simple.

Conversely, Tony ,

If you planned to spend 25 to30 quid for a meal and drinks in nice country pub.... Anyway....
Would you insist on parking your van on a nearby campsite, paying another £20 fees, then taking a taxi too and from the pub ?
It's a no brainer, really.

I support ringing ahead, some have a 1 van policy, others have changed landlord so well worth the call.

oh so

Welcome.

oh so you the one after the maid give her my regards pj

Cider Farm?!

Hi, you mention new forest.....there's a mega stopover at a cider farm right in the middle. 2 quid ehu and great walks....hand pulled ale close by....it's a good stop....Maja

Is this marked on the POIs? This sounds like a great stopover to add to my list!

Thanks

-Morgan

Is this marked on the POIs? This sounds like a great stopover to add to my list!

Thanks

-Morgan

It used to be in the POIs but was removed by request of the pub. You'll find details from another overnight stop scheme ...

Cider farm

....it's not a pub.....it's a cider farm as I said Chris ?? It's a bargain stopover and in *********...let's share with others please.....Maja

... it's a bit grim to block names ? Can I pm the other member how to access the cider farm ? Maja

The basic idea is if you drop fifty quid in the bar on food and drink you didn't really want or need, then you get to park in a deserted carpark with no facilities all night for "free". Simple.

Don't like it.... don't do it.... Simples.

I'm frequently very happy to be able to park directly outside a welcoming hostelry and partake of food and drink without having to sort transport home.

Guess that just makes me more of a glass full type of guy rather than a wanting 'summat for nowt' type???

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back