New Van - Titter Ye Not

shaunr68

Hi all.

This is my new to me van, now dubbed "Frankia Howerd", a 2005 Frankia I650ED to be picked up in a few weeks time.

Seems colossal inside in comparison to my previous 4.8 metre coachbuilt. Space to swing a cat, something which my dog would approve of. I've driven a 6.4 metre Auto Trail all over the continent so am happy with the size, just never driven an A class before. It does feel much bigger but just something to get used to.

4 tonne on an Al-Ko chassis so masses of payload and storage between the floors. 150 litre fresh water tank

Huge drop down bed at the front and bunks at the rear over a small garage. Decent sized lounge. Proper oven, which was a deal breaker for me.

There is already a refillable gas system installed, 2x 11KG bottles with auto changeover valve and external fill point.

There are a couple of solar panels on the roof. Not sure of the wattage, they're not huge, perhaps 100w each. In a month or two after a shakedown trip to Scotland I'll add more, or replace them altogether with larger panels. I'd like 400-500w in total. My three 110Ah AGM batteries are being transplanted into the new MH.

There is a Snipe 2 automatic satellite antenna which will be getting torn off the roof and eBayed. I don't watch television, and am not having anything up there taking up valuable rooftop real estate which would be far better employed housing more solar.

After the brief Scotland trip I'm off to the continent to spend autumn and winter across France, Spain and Portugal. Then back to see family in March before going Scandinavia bound for 6 months next spring, hence the need for a decent payload. 6 months supplies amounts to 182 Fray Bentos pies!

Any other Frankia owners here?

Presumably on my next trip to Ireland I won't be able to use the Pembroke-Rosslare or Liverpool-Dublin crossings because Frankia goes to Holyhead?

I'll get me coat.

70936-new-van-titter-ye-not-frankia1.jpg

Frankia1.jpg

Last edited:
Love the van and the name.

Please get some transfers with "Howerd" on them or even "Titter ye not".

Oh watch out for those low emission zones on your travels, they will be expensive in the van which I suspect is only 3 or 4.

The thing to get used to is the size of the A pillars and the mirrors: be careful they don't hde things approaching on roundabouts.

I can't imagine whe you would want to upgrade from 200watts of solar. Assuming you use gas for heating cooking and the fridge, what do you need all that 12v power for?

Thanks. Extensive laptop use. I don't think there is such a thing as too much solar, well not within reason anyway. The way I see it lots of solar means you'll still get an adequate charge on a dull day. I installed 300 watts on my previous MH and while it was fine over the winter in Portugal, might not be so in less sunny climes after a couple of weeks of overcast weather.

Love the van and the name.

Please get some transfers with "Howerd" on them or even "Titter ye not".

Oh watch out for those low emission zones on your travels, they will be expensive in the van which I suspect is only 3 or 4.

Ha, what a great idea. I wonder if I can get this made up into a sticker D
103465305_frankie-howerd-titter-ye-not-unofficial-tribute-cult-tv-.jpg

Attachments

• 103465305_frankie-howerd-titter-ye-not-unofficial-tribute-cult-tv-.jpg
    103465305_frankie-howerd-titter-ye-not-unofficial-tribute-cult-tv-.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 86
Nice looking ride,but surely you only need enough Frey Bentos to chock the wheels,can't think of another possible use for the heinous things!

I take it a trip to Italy

Will be necessary

It is along way Down to (rather than UP) Pompeii !

I looks a cracking van Shaun and already a lot of the "wishlist " has been done ,I think you will be OK with "don't titter missus" on your European galavant

Channa

I looks a cracking van Shaun and already a lot of the "wishlist " has been done ,I think you will be OK with "don't titter missus" on your European galavant

Channa
Thanks Channa. Yes I love that it seems to have been designed with off grid camping in mind. I was flabbergasted to discover an outside locker housing a second toilet cassette! That and the winterised 150L water tank, solar installation to be upgraded at a later date, couple of extra jerry cans of water (why not with a 4T payload!) and I'm good to be off grid for a couple of weeks. It was a toss up between this one and a Hymer 644 and while I think the Hymers are nicer looking, I don't think I'll be disappointed judging by what I've found so far in terms of build quality and specification.

Cheers
Shaun

Last edited:
All stickered up on day 2 of the Scotland jaunt, Galloway Forest Park. Thanks to the Laird for posting the stickers out :)

attachment.php

attachment.php

0023 Raiders Road, Galloway Forest Park 16 May 2019.jpg
0024 Raiders Road, Galloway Forest Park 16 May 2019.jpg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back