New type of glass gas hob

Budgie

Well took our 24 year old son away in our Apache, the first morning he decided to make a coffee, and unbeknown to us he lit the gas without lifting the glass lid on the hob and placed the kettle directly on the glass above the flame, unbelievably after ages the kettle actually boiled without shattering, all seems fine but no doubt sometime in the not too distant future after going over a bump or something it will.
Just for the record our son has a good University degree, he said he thought the hob was a new posh type , but obviously as with most of the younger generation was last in the que when the common sense was dished out.

Your son is not alone, one place I worked was used for fast tracking university leavers into management, I would say over half lacked common sense lol. Benefit of the doubt it could be new situation and overthinking 😂😂

I started a 30 year long career in IT Neil when as a PR exercise the company offered jobs to local people without the usual 'A' Levels and degrees that they usually insist on.

They found that the new intake had far more common sense than the graduates and many progressed into senior management.

I did exactly the same kettle boiled glass ok a friend did the same his whent pop .

Well took our 24 year old son away in our Apache, the first morning he decided to make a coffee, and unbeknown to us he lit the gas without lifting the glass lid on the hob and placed the kettle directly on the glass above the flame, unbelievably after ages the kettle actually boiled without shattering, all seems fine but no doubt sometime in the not too distant future after going over a bump or something it will.
Just for the record our son has a good University degree, he said he thought the hob was a new posh type , but obviously as with most of the younger generation was last in the que when the common sense was dished out.
Tempered glass has had heat applied causing stress within the glass, which is why it breaks into lots of little pieces rather than dangerous large shards when it breaks. Your hob cover is now just a bit more tempered than it was. Luckily.

It strange really because a domestic cooker with a glass lid has to shut the gas off when the lid is closed it’s part of the safety devices but they never bothered with caravan and motor home cookers

It strange really because a domestic cooker with a glass lid has to shut the gas off when the lid is closed it’s part of the safety devices but they never bothered with caravan and motor home cookers
A few do cut off automatically. I know someone with a Bessecarr (an 08 reg I think) and his does.

A few do cut off automatically. I know someone with a Bessecarr (an 08 reg I think) and his does.
Our 'stoves' one does.....

Times I've been kneeling swearing it's broken because it won't ignite the oven....

Only to have it eventually dawn that the glass hob cover is closed.

I’m am a gas engineer and in my view they should all cut off when the lids shut if a domestic cooker doesn’t then it is classified as at risk and you have to disconnect it

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back