New Sprinter LWB owner

CyderT1N

Hi Hello to you all
I'm a ex-military mechanical engineer & I bought a MB Sprinter T1N LWB High roof van as want to reduce costs to the min also nearing retirement, well pension collection age doubt if I'll ever retire 😁
Hope to learn from the site & avoid costly painful mistakes
Will be scaling down on stuff so I'll have a few Sprinter bits to pass on in the near future
Cheers Martin

Welcome from Bedfordshire.

Should be a nice roomy van to convert.

Hi Hello to you all
I'm a ex-military mechanical engineer & I bought a MB Sprinter T1N LWB High roof van as want to reduce costs to the min also nearing retirement, well pension collection age doubt if I'll ever retire 😁
Hope to learn from the site & avoid costly painful mistakes
Will be scaling down on stuff so I'll have a few Sprinter bits to pass on in the near future
Cheers Martin
Welcome, keep a very close eye on the unladen weight as you progress with the project.

If you are going to be undertaking a conversion, then why not join our FREE TO JOIN sister site Motorhome Builder https://motorhomebuilder.com/, there are quite a few of us on there who have been into doing this sort of thing for many a long year and who have between us an enormous amount of thoughts on what to do and most importantly what not to!
When it comes to the mechanically brilliant Sprinter, the very first thing to do is to VERY thoroughly, both inside and outside search out all the dreaded tin worm that you are likely to discover nibbling away.

Phil

You don't say how many miles it has done Cyder. I bought a ready converted coachbuilt Sprinter with about 15,000 miles on the clock. I read somewhere - can't find it now - that it should have the gearbox ATF changed at 15,000 miles from new, then again at 75,000 miles. This seems logical to get out any small metal particles from initial manufacture. This of course is assuming you have an automatic - I can't think of a reason for buying a manual one, if they do / did make them manual.
The parts from the MB dealer cost me £103. 10 litres of MB ATF, the filter and gasket. The parts wallah looked on his computer and it said it takes 10 litres. However as it appears that there is no way to drain the torque converter, I could only get 5 litres in when replacing the sump before it overflowed from the filler tube. Apart from that I concluded that as there were no metal particles in what I drained, and only a small amount of what you might call iron filings which were really like graphite paste on the sump magnet, that the whole exercise was a waste of £103. Other than me sleeping peacefully at night not worrying about it. I read somewhere that someone was quoted about £500 from a main dealer to do the job. It's an easy DIY job once you follow the youtube videos about it.

Back