New Sign - Applecross pass on NC500

I didn't find anything challenging on the NC500 in a 7.5M van, What we did come across though was people using hired motorhomes that could not reverse (ended up reversing 1/2 a mile around bends because they could not manage a straight 100 yards) and convoys of expensive sports cars with zero ground clearance so they could not use the unsurfaced passing places, hence more reversing.

According to the NC500 web page, the official route from Shieldaig is anti clockwise around the coast road to Applecross, returning over Bealach na Ba to rejoin the A896 near Ardarroch.
Not sure but this sign may be to discourage folk from heading to Applecross via The Pass
Done the NC500 May last year, me & a friend, both in large motorhomes, went clockwise, done the Applecross Pass OK, remember seeing the no car/caravan symbol, but not the no motorhome one...(not saying it is not there, just did not spot it). (Also met Daniel Craig filming the latest Bond movie)..

I’m curious and seemingly ignorant, but is that sign with the motorhome on an official legal sign as stipulated by traffic regulations under an act of parliament. Or is it another one invented by a local authority? Shouldn’t a prohibition take the form of a red circle with qualifying sign underneath it?

I’m curious and seemingly ignorant, but is that sign with the motorhome on an official legal sign as stipulated by traffic regulations under an act of parliament. Or is it another one invented by a local authority? Shouldn’t a prohibition take the form of a red circle with qualifying sign underneath it?
you have a valid point there, so could well be a local council one, but with the local by laws, I think that they can put signs up...

Look at the photo more carefully.
The "no caravans/ no motorhomes" sign is pointing towards the port and the dry dock, which is an industrialised dead end road.
This picture has been doing the rounds and somebody is having a really good laugh at the expense of all the outraged tourists getting their knickers in a twist trying to work out how to get round the rules that don't actually stop them doing what they want.

Look at the photo more carefully.
The "no caravans/ no motorhomes" sign is pointing towards the port and the dry dock, which is an industrialised dead end road.
This picture has been doing the rounds and somebody is having a really good laugh at the expense of all the outraged tourists getting their knickers in a twist trying to work out how to get round the rules that don't actually stop them doing what they want.
I thought exactly the same when I saw it,but was in a no comment frame of mind at the time.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back