New Sat Nav

Trotter

I'll be updating my old TomTom1 soon, TT no longer supports it.

Question, Do i stay with TomTom or go over to Garmin. The guy at Maplins said they are pretty much as good as each other, and it really down to a matter of preference.

On YouTube, Garmin comes out top, faster to upload, big screen, small case, where the TomTom is bulkier.

On here, Wildcamping, reports on the Garmin leave a lot to be desired.

I'd want Western Europe and UK as a minimum. Yes I know the UK is still in Western Europe. Well, for the time being.

Any thoughts

Dadad

Garmin for me, they have their own trip planning software and POI are easy to add. :cool:

Regards,
Del

New model TomToms are not as user friendly as the old ones, saying that I am a diehard TomTom user and prefer them, I have a GO6000 truck, an old GO740 running truck software and maps (which I can still update, I have just installed the latest maps on this) and we also have a XXL One which also has the latest maps on, I repair TomToms and understand them better which is probably why I prefer them to be honest.
You can put POI's on the new TomToms but not as easily as the old models and nowhere near as easy as Garmin so if that is important then a Garmin is probably best for you.
My wife prefers Garmin because she finds it more user friendly, needless to say I have put the latest maps on that for her as well :p and she has all the 3rd party POI's installed, it is very easy on Garmins

Another vote for Garmin. I would not go back to Tom Tom, find my Garmin camper much easier to use and loading poi’s etc is simple.

I have had 2 TomToms

Installing your own POI's is Ok but a bit of a faff especially re icons

I also did have a problem with Laptop not communicating with Thomas (now solved)
I like the device I have now

However I believe with Garmin POI is easier and you can use a memory card

So I will take a close look at Garmin when I need to replace

Nozatech seem the best of the alternatives ?

Although I like phone GPS apps and maps I prefer a dedicated unit whilst driving

I have my Tom Tom Rider still but have been using in-built sat nav's for a while so I needed to get one when I got the mh as didn't want to be going down unsuitable roads if I can help it. I don't see the one I went for mentioned so am hoping I haven't gone for the wrong thing, it looked good on the specs and the unit seems fine now I have it. I haven't yet used it to go anywhere though so still untested.

If you want to look at options though you can see it here Aguri RV700 DVR for caravans and motorhomes

Another vote for Garmin. I would not go back to Tom Tom, find my Garmin camper much easier to use and loading poi’s etc is simple.

Seconded :wave:

My only gripe with the Garmin Camper 760 LMT-D is that the internal memory was almost full on purchase so i had to buy an extra SD card so i could get all the latest map updates :mad2:

Apart from that it`s brilliant and in a different universe to the TomTom`s i`ve had and light years better that the cheapo chinese one :rolleyes2:

Having had several TomToms I bought the Garmin 760 a few years back as an Aldi special! I would not go back to TomTom. The Garmin is much easier to use and updating maps / downloading poi’s is simple. I occasionally have problems with the Garmin Express software but a relatively simple uninstall/reinstall cures the problem.

Not sure on the latest, but when I brought my latest satnav (couple of years ago) I wanted one totally self contained for traffic (not linking throu phone) and with 'lifetime' maps, traffic, and speed camera's, at that time TomTom was only one to offer this. If these features are not important to you, then I guess either will do. I would note that getting a TomTom because you are used to system isn't relevant as you need to relearn for the newer ones.

Not sure on the latest, but when I brought my latest satnav (couple of years ago) I wanted one totally self contained for traffic (not linking throu phone) and with 'lifetime' maps, traffic, and speed camera's, at that time TomTom was only one to offer this. If these features are not important to you, then I guess either will do. I would note that getting a TomTom because you are used to system isn't relevant as you need to relearn for the newer ones.
I don't believe that Garmin can offer lifetime cameras as it is a third party app (Cyclops) whereas Tom Tom mainly use their own community updated ones but they do have lifetime maps and traffic.

Regards,
Del

I've tried both and personally prefer the Garmin. Our original satnav was TomTom and I always got on fine with it - no complaints. When the MH joined the family in 2011, we switched to Garmin with a bigger screen, motorhome weight/size routing, UK and Eurpean lifetime maps and lifetime traffic - it's still going strong and has rarely put a foot wrong. I put a bigger media card in as a matter of routine, as I'd had to do with the TomTom... every satnav will need one sooner or later to keep up with the size of maps, whatever brand.

A few years ago, I replaced the old TomTom in the car with a new Garmin. I would never go back to TomTom now or switch to any of the App types that work on phones or tablets, as I much prefer a dedicated device.

Another vote for Garmin, when not in the motorhome i use it in my work van driving through London and it navigates me around the worst traffic.

Also recently used the Basecamp software to plot a route to Macedonia.

I am not very technical but found the Garmin easy to use and have the WC POi installed.

Jenrai

Thank You All

Cheers everyone,
It will be a Garmin. All I have to do now is drop hints about a significant birthday.
Dadad

Be on the lookout for my next equipment query. Stirling or solar. Can't afford both. Probably wouldn't need both.:p

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back