New motorhome makes a racket of noise when driving

Ianely1

We just picked up our new Bessacarr 496 over the weekend and took our fist ever motorhome trip ... It was very difficult to concentrate whilst driving due to the racket caused by numerous items rattling and clattering around.

After trial and error we have just about made it bearable to drive except for the side door into the van which continues to make a racket for some reason.

Can anybody who has had similar problems advise or provide tips on how to overcome the din whilst driving ?

Many thanks

Ianely

Is the noise caused by the contents of drawers and cupboards rattling? If so, consider using the non- slip mesh from pound shops to pack the items tightly.
Those free sachets of sauce are ideal rattle stoppers . Pick some up at every opportunity.

If its something structural on the van... Take it back and get the dealer to investigate.

Good luck.

We just picked up our new Bessacarr 496 over the weekend and took our fist ever motorhome trip ... It was very difficult to concentrate whilst driving due to the racket caused by numerous items rattling and clattering around.

After trial and error we have just about made it bearable to drive except for the side door into the van which continues to make a racket for some reason.

Can anybody who has had similar problems advise or provide tips on how to overcome the din whilst driving ?

Many thanks

Ianely
Buy a few packs of cheap car wash sponges and pack them where there is a chance of items coming in contact with each other , particularly the pan draw etc.

We find the oven and grill is the noisiest,try bubble wrap around the grill pan and the pots and pans.We also use some thin foam between the plates and dishes which helps.If that fails then try turning the radio up.:)

If it came out of a Dealers premises then I would bet next months Pension that they have inflated the tyres to 80 psi all round. This is a common thing with Dealers, they inflate to the figure shown on the sidewall of the tyre.

Give us the specific model of van, including tyre details (size, make etc) you have and someone may be able to give you the correct pressures (or near enough).

Being new to motorhoming when I bought my new Swift 2 1/2 years ago I was the same as you.
I did as others suggest and lined all the drawers and shelves with anti slip matting. For pans, glasses and various other items I bought 50mm thick pieces of foam from Dunelm Mill stuff used in seating etc and cut to fit the drawers and shelves. I then used pans, glasses etc as a pattern and cut holes for same. This works a treat and stops any noise caused by things moving about and clashing together.

Last edited:
I've found van conversions don't rattle as much as coachbuilts - but that may be because there's less storage space so I pack the cupboards tighter.

a van conversion is more rigid as the structure is complete as the factory intended. and the tyre pressures are on the edge of the drivers door, NO ONE has any excuse for setting the tyres at the wrong pressure.

a van conversion is more rigid as the structure is complete as the factory intended. and the tyre pressures are on the edge of the drivers door, NO ONE has any excuse for setting the tyres at the wrong pressure.

I'm afraid the tyre pressures on the door pillar are usually incorrect. At least they were always wrong on every coachbuilt I have owned. The only way to get the correct pressure is to weigh the van to get the axle weights, then use the appropriate pressure. As the OP is new to motorhomes, I asked for van details so another owner with the same vehicle could assist him.

Again, each van I have had left the Dealer with 80 psi per tyre. You should hear the racket from a Tag axle van with 80 in all 4 rear tyres. Apart from anything else, it is downright dangerous, especially if a small van has 80 psi per tyre.

Is the noise caused by the contents of drawers and cupboards rattling? If so, consider using the non- slip mesh from pound shops to pack the items tightly.
Those free sachets of sauce are ideal rattle stoppers . Pick some up at every opportunity.

If its something structural on the van... Take it back and get the dealer to investigate.

Good luck.

Yes, when we first bought a motorhome, friends who had had one for some years recommended the non-slip mesh. If the cab blinds are rattling, an expert recently recommended strategic insertion of wine bottle corks. We haven't yet had a chance to check whether this is effective, but acquiring the necessary corks is proving extremely pleasant. :cheers::cheers::cheers:

Tom

We had similar with our Bessacarr e695 and the habitation door. A hard slam usually made it less noisy but we had the dealer adjust the door catches and all was well.

Yep my tyres say 80 psi well there down to 60 psi and runs like a smooth car,the only thing that makes a squealing sound is the wife,yap yap yap slow down yap yap yap.

Ummmmmm....strange that

We found that our MH rattled annoyingly.........that was......until we crossed the channel and........surprise, surpise, it stopped almost like magic, until we arrived back in Dover once more :mad1:

Most of the rattling we found was caused by the disgusting state of the roads in this country of ours.

However there seems to be plenty of money available for speed cameras, but very little to fill pot holes and cracks on our road surfaces......

Just something you may want to consider the next time you vote.

Captain Biggles :plane:

Racket

Many thanks

Ianely

We have always caravanned up till Dec 2015 and you don't realise how noisy it is. I found the worst things are the grill pan and tray and oven shelves. I wrap them in tea towels and a couple of bar mats, they come in use later. You're always going to get rattles, shake your house and it would be the same. They say if the blinds rattle then close them, that's a sure way of losing tension on the rewind, I would never do that. Apart from the suggestions try turning the radio up. You do get used to it a bit.

Cheers

PatJ

for the rattling oven shelves, i found the silicon shelf protectors (made to stop you burning yourself on the front edge of the shelf) are great cut down to fit the sides of the shelf, can be permanently left in place and no rattles

We found that our MH rattled annoyingly.........that was......until we crossed the channel and........surprise, surpise, it stopped almost like magic, until we arrived back in Dover once more :mad1:

Most of the rattling we found was caused by the disgusting state of the roads in this country of ours.

However there seems to be plenty of money available for speed cameras, but very little to fill pot holes and cracks on our road surfaces......

Just something you may want to consider the next time you vote.

Captain Biggles :plane:

Try Belgian roads then :(

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back