New motorhome aires around Snowdonia now open

Moped

Interesting news. £3 to use the fresh water filling point and £15 for overnight parking.

France and Spain dont have a 6m rule though. Why do the UK persist with this for motorhomes?

After all everybody ignores the 6m thing when parking in normal car parking areas.

Still easier access to water and waste facilities in the area would certainly encourage me to make visits.

The only downer is that Gwynedd Council now say that offering these facilities now means they can clamp down on off grid parking in areas not officially provided. But yes 36 or so parking places at a charge of £15 a night will of course deter off griders from parking elsewhere.

It says £16.50 on the site plus £3 for services.

Its good that they are doing this but it seems a bit steep for what looks like a car park and strict rules about camping behaviour.

We stayed on a lovely new five van site above Bala Lake early summer last year (independent from the two clubs). I think it was £15 with spectacular views, services included and hookup for a fiver extra if you wanted it. Only us there. That was one of the more expensive ones. Most of the CL sites we stayed on after that were between £6-£12 and were all fabulous.

Seems strange to me that they charge £3 for 10 minutes water but you can empty cassette and dump water free. Would have thought water free and waste charged. Regardless I would use water if I had a hose with me.
Once again though £15 to stay overnight in a car park just seems like screwing everyone for what they can get to me. Fort William can manage overnight for a fiver although no services.
£15 plus services would be on the top side for a campsite for me

Seems strange to me that they charge £3 for 10 minutes water but you can empty cassette and dump water free. Would have thought water free and waste charged.

This is the usual scenario in France. It makes sense to allow disposal of black and grey free to avoid unsocial dumping in hedgerows etc. Payment for fresh water is common, usually 100 litres for €2 or 10 minutes.
Given the lengths some people go to to avoid paying for things such as a few euros for overnight parking at least waste will be properly disposed of.

Davy

This is the usual scenario in France. It makes sense to allow disposal of black and grey free to avoid unsocial dumping in hedgerows etc. Payment for fresh water is common, usually 100 litres for €2 or 10 minutes.
Given the lengths some people go to to avoid paying for things such as a few euros for overnight parking at least waste will be properly disposed of.

Davy
Yes that makes sense I suppose, I was thinking along the lines that folks would pay more to empty cassette than fill with water. Guess I forgot those who will dump black.

I would pay more to fill and empty than they ask in first post but not to stay. I suppose the counter argument is you are in the centre but I rarely want to be in towns unless buying food or fuel. Mainly travelling alone with my dogs a lot of shops and eating places don’t let you inside so I just keep away 👍

Seems strange to me that they charge £3 for 10 minutes water but you can empty cassette and dump water free.

I suspect that their thinking is that if they charge for emptying cassette / grey waste then people will dump anywhere.

Where is this Snowdonia of which you speak? There is this mountain range in Wales called Eryri that I have heard of.

Seriously, I consider myself Welsh but the place is universally known as Snowdonia, so insisting on using the largely unpronounceable (for non natives) Welsh name does nothing for tourism. Same goes for Bannau Brecheiniog - anyone know it?

Where is this Snowdonia of which you speak? There is this mountain range in Wales called Eryri that I have heard of.

Seriously, I consider myself Welsh but the place is universally known as Snowdonia, so insisting on using the largely unpronounceable (for non natives) Welsh name does nothing for tourism. Same goes for Bannau Brecheiniog - anyone know it?
We call it Brechin

Interesting news. £3 to use the fresh water filling point and £15 for overnight parking.

France and Spain dont have a 6m rule though. Why do the UK persist with this for motorhomes?

After all everybody ignores the 6m thing when parking in normal car parking areas.

Still easier access to water and waste facilities in the area would certainly encourage me to make visits.

The only downer is that Gwynedd Council now say that offering these facilities now means they can clamp down on off grid parking in areas not officially provided. But yes 36 or so parking places at a charge of £15 a night will of course deter off griders from parking elsewhere.
£15 quid per night? Must be joking, i for one will not caugh up a fiver if i can possibly avoid it never mind £15.
There is always some freebee spot for one or two night for a mwb ducato panel van conversion. Not that i'm tight or anything, but gotta save it for the carehome!

£15 quid per night? Must be joking, i for one will not caugh up a fiver if i can possibly avoid it never mind £15.
There is always some freebee spot for one or two night for a mwb ducato panel van conversion. Not that i'm tight or anything, but gotta save it for the carehome!
As I said at the start Gwynedd plan to clamp down on off grid unofficial parking in the county but of course it remains to be seen what they mean by this. They can't stop you parking in a side street unless there is a general urban no overnight sleeping ban french style. But is this sort of thing enforcable?

The opening up of 30 or so "official" parking locations is a drop in the ocean compared to the large numbers of motorhome users that will visit the area now that airetype service facilities are readily available. Begs the question what will the queues be like for the service points as if motorhomes end up backing up onto the road there could be traffic chaos!

Brecon Beacons innit butt! :)

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back