New member in northumberland.

looks a lovely wild flower meadow....just the job..............brillint welcome

Looks great Stu,

I am bias but would you consider allowing children and then if they prove to be a nuisance reverse your decision 🤷‍♂️

The photos show an environment where children could have a wonderful time and assuming they would disrupt others seems a little unfair until proven from feedback.

.....why not start a thread asking for feedback from members about the topic on here, I would be interested to read opinions

Tookey. The worry for us is the river and also feeling our way in to see if the concept works so initially 3 vans max and adults only. We are however thinking of an additioal option to hire the whole site which might suit a large family or couple of motorhomes with additional tent accomodation they bring with them as long as toilets covered by motorhomes if that makes sense. Hopefully bit more info out in a week or so and should be running by july.
Stu

Tookey. The worry for us is the river and also feeling our way in to see if the concept works so initially 3 vans max and adults only. We are however thinking of an additioal option to hire the whole site which might suit a large family or couple of motorhomes with additional tent accomodation they bring with them as long as toilets covered by motorhomes if that makes sense. Hopefully bit more info out in a week or so and should be running by july.
Stu
Fair enough and best wishes for your venture (y)

I will hide the boy in the shower :LOL:

What’s the ground like? Is is firm enough for 3.5 T van in all weathers, or does it get soft when wet?

What’s the ground like? Is is firm enough for 3.5 T van in all weathers, or does it get soft when wet?
Ground is flat and reasonably firm but if we had weeks of rain(unknown up here!) would have to cancel or get the tractor out or usw ha

I live in Co Durham and quite often visit the area so I thought I would ring Stu and offer my opinion on his new venture.
We had a good chat on the phone and arranged for me to stay over on the site last night, with a view to putting a totally unbiased review on here, to help people with their decision to whether they would consider staying over.

Location, beautiful location right on the river.

Massive field so plenty space if only 3 vehicles can attend.

A public riverside footpath takes you to the George Hotel , 20 mins and the Crown Inn in the nearby village of Humshaugh, 30 mins walk.

I get the impression that Stu has tried to keep the site as natural as possible.
There are previous posts regarding children on the site and having been there, yes there are a few steep embankments and hazards on the riverside part of the site which would cause concern if children were to be playing in the area but it would take away from the natural aspect of the site, if these were to be fenced off and or danger warning signs erected.
There is a cleared “ beach” access point right on the river which Stu informs me can be used for fires/ firepits.
I didnt have a fire but sat there last night totally chilled having a Speckled Hen.
( or 3 !)
The nearby road was suprisingly busy and Yes there is traffic noise but after about 7 pm, this died down.
I heard no traffic through the night.
If travelling A69 or A68 Jedburgh, this would make a great stayover.

Access. I only have a V Dub T5 and had no issues gaining access from the road.

Bigger vehicles may have to take the other lane, in order to make the turn, or approach from the opposite direction .

Stu gave me full directions and I found the site with no issues.

I know its not full “ wild camping” but a lot of people would prefer to have the added security of being at such a location as this.

No knock on the door in the middle of the night, or boy racers tearing up the gravel right next to where youve just set up.

Also the big issue of having a drink if you are parked on public land and the legalities of that.
Dont get me wrong, Ive wild camped for years all over Europe and fully enjoyed the experience but some people might not have the confidence/ experience to do the same.

This site would give those people a great alternative.

I must add that I have only seen the site in perfect weather and dry conditions.
Like everywhere, it may be different if the ground is wet but I think thats an issue in most places.

I hope this has been useful to some.
It isnt a sales pitch .
I took Stu up on his offer to have a free night away !

Would I stay again . Most definitely.

Thanks. Victor

Hi many thanks for the welcome. The popup overnight park up field is almost ready. Still not decided on charge but If any full members on here want a free night over the next 10 days to help "test" then please feel free to pm me and ill give you details. Note location suits campervans and not sure access suitable for big motorhomes over 6m. Must be self contained and no children but we do have water. Fire pits welcome. Will post more details elsewhere on forum once everything sorted.
Cheers stu and sueView attachment 98920View attachment 98921
Don't listen to Barry . Member in NE Scotland is charging a fiver and , if I didn't mention it before , that is in Scotland !

I live in Co Durham and quite often visit the area so I thought I would ring Stu and offer my opinion on his new venture.
We had a good chat on the phone and arranged for me to stay over on the site last night, with a view to putting a totally unbiased review on here, to help people with their decision to whether they would consider staying over.

Location, beautiful location right on the river.

Massive field so plenty space if only 3 vehicles can attend.

A public riverside footpath takes you to the George Hotel , 20 mins and the Crown Inn in the nearby village of Humshaugh, 30 mins walk.

I get the impression that Stu has tried to keep the site as natural as possible.
There are previous posts regarding children on the site and having been there, yes there are a few steep embankments and hazards on the riverside part of the site which would cause concern if children were to be playing in the area but it would take away from the natural aspect of the site, if these were to be fenced off and or danger warning signs erected.
There is a cleared “ beach” access point right on the river which Stu informs me can be used for fires/ firepits.
I didnt have a fire but sat there last night totally chilled having a Speckled Hen.
( or 3 !)
The nearby road was suprisingly busy and Yes there is traffic noise but after about 7 pm, this died down.
I heard no traffic through the night.
If travelling A69 or A68 Jedburgh, this would make a great stayover.

Access. I only have a V Dub T5 and had no issues gaining access from the road.

Bigger vehicles may have to take the other lane, in order to make the turn, or approach from the opposite direction .

Stu gave me full directions and I found the site with no issues.

I know its not full “ wild camping” but a lot of people would prefer to have the added security of being at such a location as this.

No knock on the door in the middle of the night, or boy racers tearing up the gravel right next to where youve just set up.

Also the big issue of having a drink if you are parked on public land and the legalities of that.
Dont get me wrong, Ive wild camped for years all over Europe and fully enjoyed the experience but some people might not have the confidence/ experience to do the same.

This site would give those people a great alternative.

I must add that I have only seen the site in perfect weather and dry conditions.
Like everywhere, it may be different if the ground is wet but I think thats an issue in most places.

I hope this has been useful to some.
It isnt a sales pitch .
I took Stu up on his offer to have a free night away !

Would I stay again . Most definitely.

Thanks. Victor
Definitely an added bonus , for me at least , it is reasonably close to licensed premises .
All sounds good
Definitely think there is a change in the air(e)

@alcam Please could you share Scotland stop over info pm would be fine, l thought the cost was reasonable, so will do it again I love "wild camping in my Moho" but just to be able to kick back and have a beer without concerns of a knock on the door is nice. This is my opinion others are allowed theirs (y) (y)

Regards MJVW

The photos show an environment where children could have a wonderful time and assuming they would disrupt others seems a little unfair until proven from feedback.
Children would put me off as many other sites don't allow kids for the usual reasons. Turning grey waste out in the field soon creates a smell in warm weather Your bound to get someone over filling one of other of their waste tanks and thinking where can we empty where it won't be seen
so Limiting stays to 2 nights would make it less likely for anyone to need to empty on site

Last edited:
@alcam Please could you share Scotland stop over info pm would be fine, l thought the cost was reasonable, so will do it again I love "wild camping in my Moho" but just to be able to kick back and have a beer without concerns of a knock on the door is nice. This is my opinion others are allowed theirs (y) (y)

Regards MJVW
Really joking about cost but , personally , think a fiver is about right cost for what is being offered . Having said all that I intend to use the site even if it is a tenner or so !
I'll send Barry the bill
Site in Scotland was on another thread . It's near Fraserburgh think it is on POIs now

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back