New CAMpRA aire - Kidwelly, S Wales

number14

This aire is officially opening with a launch rally for CAMpRA members (see poster below) and is thereafter open to anyone. The contact is Hilary. Email her at Hmevett@gmail.com if you want to join the rally or just stop over any other time. Hilary is a motorhomer herself and very enthusiastic about this new project.

The site itself is a large flat gravelled area behind the community centre. SWMBO and I stayed a night last weekend and it was very quiet with easy walks to the pub, castle or into town.
Drinking water and rubbish disposal is available with a black waste facility being installed in the next few weeks. Charges are £10 pupn or £3 for a service stop once the black waste dump is ready.

As an aside the CR at Kidwelly Quay is still available. We were told that there was a move by the council to install a height barrier but local traders strongly objected because they would lose good business from the motorhomers.

Kidwellyaire20231017.jpg

This is a great spot. Plenty walks from this new aire. Anyone going to the rally will be asked to join the CAMpRA Rally Group - Its free to join.
Even if you can't go to the opening weekend its a great addition to parking places. They will also have a service stopoff facility.

This aire is officially opening with a launch rally for CAMpRA members (see poster below) and is thereafter open to anyone. The contact is Hilary. Email her at Hmevett@gmail.com if you want to join the rally or just stop over any other time. Hilary is a motorhomer herself and very enthusiastic about this new project.

The site itself is a large flat gravelled area behind the community centre. SWMBO and I stayed a night last weekend and it was very quiet with easy walks to the pub, castle or into town.
Drinking water and rubbish disposal is available with a black waste facility being installed in the next few weeks. Charges are £10 pupn or £3 for a service stop once the black waste dump is ready.

As an aside the CR at Kidwelly Quay is still available. We were told that there was a move by the council to install a height barrier but local traders strongly objected because they would lose good business from the motorhomers.

View attachment 124153
Have you put forward this location for the POIs through the Location App?

View attachment 124153
Excellent news but , to me , equally important the local traders objecting to height barriers at the CR .
Has the worm turned ?

I fully support Campra; but I must say how nice it is to see a new aire that will be installing black waste disposal, rather than just offering somewhere to park overnight.

Unfortunately, we can't make the rally.

Excellent news but , to me , equally important the local traders objecting to height barriers at the CR .
Has the worm turned ?
Unfortunatly not everywhere yet! It depends on the bossy people in a community. CAMpRA are trying to educate community leaders to realise that motorhomers and campervanners bring money into communities that welcome them. On the website www.campra.org.uk there is information that anyone can use when speaking to councillors etc. For instance Glencaple in Dumfries & Galloway used the donations from their motorhome parking to put in childrens play equipment.

Lots of CAMpRA aires offer this. We advise all owners that this is a great way to get more visitors.
I am aware thanks, I've been following Campra almost since its inception. Unfortunately lots doesn't appear to be the majority yet.

I am aware thanks, I've been following Campra almost since its inception. Unfortunately lots doesn't appear to be the majority yet.
Installation of Elsan points will vary for various reasons.
Where toilet facilities connected to mains sewerage already exist offers the simplest opportunity to install an elsan point. Where the toilet is connected to a sceptic tank is more problematic. The FCCT in Fife have provided new toilets and an elsan point in Elie. But they are concerned about the damage it may do to their sceptic tank, they are currently monitoring the situation. Robbie Blythe informed me even using green chemicals can be harmful. The only solution may be a separate sceptic tank, or a portable system like the one used in Ayr.

Personally I would like councils to encourage more campsites to allow access to their Elsan points.
They could make annual contributions to the sites, and the sites could make £3-5 charges. This would prove less expensive for the councils. Of course in more rural locations were there are no camp sites this would not be an option.

The best way to help prevent inappropriate emptying of cassettes, is to provide more Elsan points.

Some of the aires put in above ground tanks which are emptied by tanker when necessary.
Camping & Caravanning club members can use the "service stop off" at selected sites for £7.65. That gives a 3 hour window to empty wastes, fill water and have showers.
Highland Council asked all sites to offer a waste point service when sites opened up again after Covid. Sites that were willing to do so were offerred grants to do any necessary adjustments to allow for this. They could charge what they wanted for visitors to use the service. For instance Dornoch site (which is only open in Summer) charges £11. Auchtertyre Farm aire (near the Skye bridge) which is open all year charges £5.

Major facility we require is , surely , black waste disposal .
Travelling round Europe there is the Aire network but also very common on motorways , major supermarkets and garages .
Not sure how you encourage assorted companies to provide this service but I'm sure it could be done

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back