New cambelt

Baden87

Anyone had a cambelt done on an 08 fiat Ducato
In the Nottinghamshire area and how much , been quoted £400 plus vat fitted with new water pump sounds a lot to me just saying

Always wise to fit a new water pump at the same time, is it a dealer? Got my Master done around five years ago, £320 cash.

Snowbird panic.

Hi Baden,

I must say your talk about cam belts 0n a 08 Ducato made me panic a little as my Fiat garage told me that my 09 Ducato 100 multi jet has a chain for life engine,so i looked it up and found the 100, 160, & 180 Multijet has a chain instead of a belt but the120,130,150 Multijet have a timing belt,does anyone know why.

Snowbirds.:cry::ninja::dance:

Anyone had a cambelt done on an 08 fiat Ducato
In the Nottinghamshire area and how much , been quoted £400 plus vat fitted with new water pump sounds a lot to me just saying

Hi Baden,

I must say your talk about cam belts 0n a 08 Ducato made me panic a little as my Fiat garage told me that my 09 Ducato 100 multi jet has a chain for life engine,so i looked it up and found the 100, 160, & 180 Multijet has a chain instead of a belt but the120,130,150 Multijet have a timing belt,does anyone know why.

They are very different engines, some not even made by the same manufacturer.
As for changing the water pump at same time, on the 2.3 engine it is considered a personnel choice.

Cambelt

Hi Baden87,£400 sounds good to me.Im going to change cam belt and pulleys on the 13th of this month before going to Monza.I paid £200 for belt and pulley from Fiat as I'm a bit fussy about fitting the proper parts.Its about a four and a half hour job.Im going to strip it out during the week between night shifts and on the 13th one of my ex apprentices is giving me a hand to refit because I've hurt my back.Its a fiddly job as you have to remove the drivers side headlight ,expansion tank and power steering resovoir to get access to use timing pins so I would go for it plus you will get a guarantee with the work.All the best Jim.

I recently changed my belt on our '10 Euramobil A class 2.3 130. I seem to recall the Gates kit cost me about £180 inc vat, didnt bother with the water pump as its only done 44k miles. The instructions tell you to remove radiator, header tank, engine mount..........half the front of the van almost, you dont. If you remove the radiator top mounting panel which holds the bonnet catch, and bar the engine towards the near side putting a socket between upper offside engine mount you dont even need to remove the engine mount to get the cover off, and you only need 2 drill bits to use as timing pins.

Stu

Stu

Thanks Stu could you elaborate the procedure I'm mechanically minded so should be easy enough to follow

Just had another quote for £250 all in without water pump he said don't waste your money , and they are easily got to if it goes at later stage (water pump )

Thanks Stu could you elaborate the procedure I'm mechanically minded so should be easy enough to follow

Just had another quote for £250 all in without water pump he said don't waste your money , and they are easily got to if it goes at later stage (water pump )

i dont know the engine ,but i would have thought that if the water pump pulley is driven off the timing belt then i would say that its sensible to change the pump at the same time after all you wouldent change the belt without renewing the idler pullies would you . two reasons should the pump fail it could i assume allow the timing belt to go slack chancing on the belt slipping and damaging the engine . if it just failed due to a small leak then changing the pump would entail disturbing the cam belt tension and settings realy needing the fitting of a new belt as you should always fit a new belt if the one on is disturbed .

3400 bucks is cheap ,get it sorted ,i did my in line iveco which is almost same as yours but every thing had to come off ,front panel rad intercooler etc.

Attachments

• belt a.jpg
    belt a.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 81
  • belt change 5 16.jpg
    belt change 5 16.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 77
I would say thats a fair price too, I recently did our Renault Master, I went to our local Renault dealer (Arnold Clark) they wanted £780 for the belt, pump pulleys ect. I then went to a smaller non renault dealer and was charged £350 for the same and got an oil and filter change included in the price. I did think of doing it myself, but for the price, it just wasn`t worth the hassle.

i dont know the engine ,but i would have thought that if the water pump pulley is driven off the timing belt then i would say that its sensible to change the pump at the same time after all you wouldent change the belt without renewing the idler pullies would you . two reasons should the pump fail it could i assume allow the timing belt to go slack chancing on the belt slipping and damaging the engine . if it just failed due to a small leak then changing the pump would entail disturbing the cam belt tension and settings realy needing the fitting of a new belt as you should always fit a new belt if the one on is disturbed .

Whether the pump needs changing depends on the engine, I had a mkII cavalier with 1.6 single cam, this went 270,000 miles in my ownership, regular belt changes, still on original pump. On the other hand my old Astra with twin cam 1.4 engine needed a new pump with each belt change.

From memory this is the proceedure as i did it.
1 remove plastic under tray and black slam panel (that holds the bonnet catch)
2 remove air con pump and its mounting bracket from under the back of the engine if you have air con
3 remove altenator belt (i replaced this as well) and its idler pulley
4 from the top get a big long bar and bar the engine away from the offside top mount and put a socket between the inner and outer mount, this give you just enough room to get the timing cover off without removing the mounting. You can remove the mounting if you like but you will then have an axle stand under the engine getting in your way
5 remove the timing cover form above and below
6 now you can see the belt, at this point your as well turning the engine until the timing marks line up. the cam pulley take either a 5 or 6 mm drill and i think the hole in the casting is at about 2 or 3 o'clock. The crank timing hole is hidden behind a torx head plug thats hiding just infront of the crank pulley above the lip, remove this and you'll be able to use 8 or maybe 10mm drill for a peg.
7 release the belt tension, remove the belt tensioner, idler pulleys etc
8 swap the water pump if you wish. I know its recommended and most garages do, but they dont want any come back if it starts leaking with the increased belt tension of a new tensioner.
9 with timing pegs in place, fit the belt, idlers and tensioner, and tension belt
10 turn engine over about 10 times by hand, and check your timing pegs still line up
11 reassemble in reverse order.

The Gates kit i got had some very comprehensive instructions with all the timing points and torque settings, and you'll also find loads of hints and tips on youtube if your stuck. Take you time and enjoy the satisfaction when its done.
I hope i havent forgotten anything, if your on a std cab Ducato it'll probably be easier than it was for me, i had a job to get my head in and had to do most from below or simply by feel. Even so, if you have the tools, youd probably have it done in 4 or 5 hours.

The other quote you've had sound too cheap, does it include the idler and tensioners or just a belt?

Stu

Whether the pump needs changing depends on the engine, I had a mkII cavalier with 1.6 single cam, this went 270,000 miles in my ownership, regular belt changes, still on original pump. On the other hand my old Astra with twin cam 1.4 engine needed a new pump with each belt change.

True, but also the mileage. The belts degrade over time; the pumps don't. So if the belt has reached its change interval by time, but is only halfway to the mileage interval (quite likely on a motorhome), then the pump will be fine. As long as nothing else has happened to it of course, like being run dry or without antifreeze.

Having said that though, they're usually pretty cheap. When I did the cambelt on the diesel Alfa I had a while ago the pump was only about an extra £20, and because it's so awkward to get to it was a no-brainer to change it at the same time.

Cam Belts

Cam belts don't usually drive water pumps and I would not change the pump unless it showed wear. Most of these recommendations are belt and braces (no pun intended) and mostly not needed. Quinton Hazel belts have always been of equivalent quality of other makes and usually half the cost. JMHO !

Hi Baden,

It's because the engine is a Ford even though it is badged under another name we had a Peugeot 100 it had chain ford engine

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back