New batteries

Harrytherid

Van is getting old, like owner, so can't justify or afford lithium. Running heating (it is the fan that does it) on latest trip (Leicester) has killed both the 110Ah leisure batteries (fairly old anyway) so I need to replace them. I would like, therefore, advice as to the best lead/acid to replace them with. I know this has been done before but things change so sorry if it is boring. Thank you in advance, Harry

I bought and fitted 2 x lead carbon 110 amp gel batteries as suggested by Wildbus earlier this year and they have performed brilliantly to date. They were on offer at Alpha batteries and I used the discount negotiated by Phil. Just check your charger can charge them, fortunately my charger can.

I've had my eye on these so pleased to read your good experience. My charger has a gel setting but not AGM so would save me buying a new charger. My solar controller is also good for gel.

If charger not up to it then Bosch/varta stop start would be a good buy, mind you the lead carbon seem a good price and if me id buy them for your use.

Thanks all but how do I find out if charger any good. The wagon and therefore built in charger is 2007 McLouis on Fiat chassis. Solar panel is 80 Watt panel with MPPT controller. I have come back from Leicester with a stomach infection so am not feeling up to taking the seat off to get at one of the batteries so I will do it in a day or two when I feel better but thanks for the rapid response. They sound fantastic so here's hoping. I knew you would be good, Harry

You probably have a Nordelettronica charger. Meant to be fairly good I believe?

Not much solar this time of year, and its seems rather on the small side, 100w to 100ah batts is normal, you may require to read up on charger speck.

I've always been pleased with my 2 x Trojan T125 traction batteries. They are 6V and so have to be wired in series rather than parallel to make up 12V.

Thanks all. I shall have to get that pesky seat off to check the charger and report back with the model etc at the same time as I measure the space available. What idiot decided to make that seat so difficult to remove eh? Not feeling well enough today but am better than yesterday, so maybe tomorrow. There is space for more solar so perhaps I shall invest in a new one. The old one is a bit long in the tooth, well over ten years old if I remember right. Thanks again

Thanks all. I shall have to get that pesky seat off to check the charger and report back with the model etc at the same time as I measure the space available. What idiot decided to make that seat so difficult to remove eh? Not feeling well enough today but am better than yesterday, so maybe tomorrow. There is space for more solar so perhaps I shall invest in a new one. The old one is a bit long in the tooth, well over ten years old if I remember right. Thanks again
If you have access issues, bear in mind batteries like the Trojans mentioned would not be a good idea as they require regular checking and occasion topping topping up.

Thanks Widebus, The lead/carbon will be what I will go for if I can make it all work especially with the maintenance issue even though I made a captive nut to replace one of the loose ones which required two hands in a very awkward position and it is much easier than it was as a result, it is still a bind getting that seat off. Yours Harry.

Todays vans/cars are not made for folk to twiddle at, bin them before mot and buy new, yea right, hope you get sorted with the led carbon as wildbus stated. (y)

Thank you so much for the advice, Wildebus and others. Unfortunately the height limit for one of them (that under passenger seat) is 215 mm. The other not so critical as I can raise the height of the locker floor under which it resides but unless advised otherwise I shall buy two the same. The charger is indeed a Nordelettronica, an NE186 so I hope I can consider that satisfactory for either the DC120-100C or a Leoch XR1750. The old batteries were Banner 100AH (or 110, depending which bit you read) they seem to be in doubt as to what capacity they are) Harry

What van is it you have? if it is a Sevel (Ducato/Relay/Boxer) then what quite a people do is cut all the insulated floor covering away to allow them to fit taller batteries then would otherwise fit.
This guy has quite a nice step-by-step process filmed of squeezing in oversized batteries under the seat

Also, most GEL and AGM batteries would be ok put on their side which gives an effective height of around 180mm, so that is an option as well.
If you do find you need to fit the two batteries apart, remember the +ve cable interlink between the two batteries must be protected both ends with a suitable fuse as both ends are energy sources. (pointing this out for anyone who may be reading this thread and might not be aware of needing to do this).

Thanks Wildebus. Wow, what thoughts, my wagon is a Ducato based McLouis Tandy 670G, so the floor digging is an option as, possibly, is battery on side. However before we went away I started altering our down stairs toilet and with Christmas and family coming, I must finish the toilet before getting on with the van electrics any more. I know what my priorities are but my wife's are different. I have to give it all extensive thought anyway. In the mean time, any other thoughts you may have will be gratefully received. Both ends of the interlinking cable are fused and isolated from each other and the rest of the system with a rotary switch. Kindest regards, Harry

Banner are a respected make so if it comes to it, replacing with the same wouldn't be a bad option if they have served you well in the past. And you know they will fit.

Yes I know Banner are a respected make, Robmac, but the carbon enhanced ones sound better and I must go for the best I can afford but thanks for the interest. Wildebus, you say most most GEL and AGM batteries would be ok put on their side but do we know that includes the lead carbon you are recommending, if so that is definitely an option. Harry

Yes I know Banner are a respected make, Robmac, but the carbon enhanced ones sound better and I must go for the best I can afford but thanks for the interest. Wildebus, you say most most GEL and AGM batteries would be ok put on their side but do we know that includes the lead carbon you are recommending, if so that is definitely an option. Harry
I would be 99.9% sure it would. I say most as there is bound to be one or two that are different! I would check with Alpha just to make sure.
I happen to have the manual for the AGM version of that GEL battery in front of me and it advises avoiding having it upside-down, but that is it.

Hello wildebus, That is good enough for me. Someone mentioned that you had negotiated a deal, is there a way I can take advantage of that? Kind regards, Harry

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back