New bank account benefits

I've had this account for a number of years now, we paid for an extension of 105 days per trip and to cover our existing illnesses, last time it cost us £241.00 for the year, by comparison I tried quotes for just holiday insurance for me and the wife and the cheapest quotes were over a £1000, so needless to say we paid the £241.00.

We have claimed twice on the holiday insurance, once I got a chicken bone trapped in my throat while on a trip in Thailand which required surgical intervention, my wife rung nationwide claim line and they dealt direct with the hospital,great service.

On another trip in Thailand, my wife's father took seriously ill, while only two weeks into a 3 month trip, we had to book flights back to the UK and curtail our trip, it was actually cheaper to book return flights with BA rather than a single trip. Again Nationwide came to the rescue and covered all our costs and gave us money back for my scooter hire and our unused accomodation costs.

On our last trip to Spain I got a puncture and used there breakdown service, within a hour a low loader was with us, but we didn't need the low loader,we just got them to change our tyre and put the spare on. So even though they are cheap, they are actually really good at paying out, I have no qualms at all at recommending them.

We changed to the Co-op bank for similar reasons, the charges are more but one gets cashback which mitigates that. The age limit for travel insurance was higher as far as I recall, which, at the time was important to us ....79yrs? However, now the EHIC /GHIC card has been clarified, we will probably not continue. We did it as others have, transferred most but not all of our banking to them ( enough DD to get cashback) and just funded it monthly with a single transfer.

Just nipped in to the Nationwide branch locally to clarify what the requirement is to maintain the Flex Plus account and its attendant insurance benefits. It seems almost certain that the company will be undertaking a cash back campaign, last time round it was £100 when an account is totally switched, in the next month or so.

There is no requirement to do the switch or to have direct debits etc. attached to the Flex Plus, just a deposit sufficient to cover the account charge of £13 a month. I will be hanging fire for a month or so and see what the extended trip and age beyond the age of seventy charges are for our particular circumstances.

Cheers

H

I got 31 days per trip with an option to extend if longer
We been with them for years. 2x90 days in Europe for a modest increase in cost. 70 plus age incurs an additional charge, likewise for medical conditions, but still cheaper from quotes elsewhere. Used the breakdown in Croatia...excellent service.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back