Netgear Nighthawke.

Obanboy666

Recently decided to get a Teltonika Rut360 router annd anntenna after asking advise from Solwise. To cut a long story short it’s been sh-te and slower than my Huawei mifi and iPhone.
Spent an age on Teltonikas forums / help screens all to no avail, most of it was way over my head so I’ve finally given up.
Before buying the Teltonika I seriously considered a Netgear Nighthawke but thought the Teltonika would be fine for what I required and way cheaper into the bargain.
So, I’ve decided to possibly go for a Netgear Nighthawke and would appreciate anyone who is using one their opinion. How easy to set up ? Is it a stand alone unit or do you need a modem to go with it ? Do you need an antenna to fully utilise the router ? How does it perform download speeds etc, etc.
Ideally I would like to use my Firestick in the tv and sky go on my iPad to watch F1, football etc.

Before having a 5G system installed I used a Netgear MR 2100 router, and I found it to be excellent, even without an aerial.
The App was excellent and simple to use.
But this new system I had installed by the dealer is even better.
Its really all down to how much you want to spend
But I would recommend the netgear.
But if you want something future proof

Don’t give up on the TELTONIKA yet, make sure the software is up to date and use a windows laptop to update it and download the latest firmware from website, it will do a lot more stuff too if you persevere.

A common problem with some online devices is that they automatically use a 5G signal if they detect one (even if it is a poor signal). See if you can give 4G priority when you need to. 5G is still thin on the ground and 4G is more widespread.

Recently decided to get a Teltonika Rut360 router annd anntenna after asking advise from Solwise. To cut a long story short it’s been sh-te and slower than my Huawei mifi and iPhone.
Spent an age on Teltonikas forums / help screens all to no avail, most of it was way over my head so I’ve finally given up.
Before buying the Teltonika I seriously considered a Netgear Nighthawke but thought the Teltonika would be fine for what I required and way cheaper into the bargain.
So, I’ve decided to possibly go for a Netgear Nighthawke and would appreciate anyone who is using one their opinion. How easy to set up ? Is it a stand alone unit or do you need a modem to go with it ? Do you need an antenna to fully utilise the router ? How does it perform download speeds etc, etc.
Ideally I would like to use my Firestick in the tv and sky go on my iPad to watch F1, football etc.
don't buy one, its rubbish, certainly needs an external antenna and is slower than a hotspot on my phone; unreliabe.

A common problem with some online devices is that they automatically use a 5G signal if they detect one (even if it is a poor signal). See if you can give 4G priority when you need to. 5G is still thin on the ground and 4G is more widespread.
The system I have is dual band.
One of the bands allows 5G, but if there is no 5G it’s reckoned it gets a better 4G signal than a 4G router. The other band is a 4G band only. As the years go on 5G will become more prevalent. The Netgear MR2100 was again dual band but only in 4G. The advantage of dual band is if there are a lot of users nearby using their phones you can switch to a different band from them improving reception.

Before having a 5G system installed I used a Netgear MR 2100 router, and I found it to be excellent, even without an aerial.
The App was excellent and simple to use.
But this new system I had installed by the dealer is even better.
Its really all down to how much you want to spend
But I would recommend the netgear.
But if you want something future proof

So how easy was your Netgear to set up ? That’s my main concern, don’t want to spend a fortune to then find due to my limited knowledge I end up in the same situation as with the Teltonika.

So how easy was your Netgear to set up ? That’s my main concern, don’t want to spend a fortune to then find due to my limited knowledge I end up in the same situation as with the Teltonika.
Honestly it’s very simple using the App.
The screen was poor, hardly used it to control the unit.
You can get involved in more complex use, or keep it very simple.
I don’t have mine anymore, when getting the new van I sold it.
I would consider buying second hand.
I got mine on eBay, and resold it on there.
That way if you don’t like it you can resell with little or no loss.

It comes with set up instructions which will get you online.
I have included full instructions below.
They normally come unlocked, but some are locked on EE.
Better buying an unlocked model.
Also it comes with a large battery giving hours of use of charge, and can be recharged connected to a USB.

Bob Earnshaw did this video a few years back, well worth a watch.

Last edited:
Love my Netger Nighthawk. But it has been a bit slow today.

Then again I’m at a busy campsite at a race circuit in the middle of nowhere

Attachments

• IMG_0666.png
    IMG_0666.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 23
Set up is easy,

Tip set the network name and password to the same as your home network therefore no messing with devise settings.

Remember unlike the Teltonika (which are very good) you can stick the nighthawk in your pocket and take your network with you.

It’s expensive but if you need high speed access while away you’ll not get better.

NightGear every time, with or without Omni antenna....now used for over 5 years and NEVER lost a signal all over Europe, Nordkapp to Greece, fantastic

NightGear every time, with or without Omni antenna....now used for over 5 years and NEVER lost a signal all over Europe, Nordkapp to Greece, fantastic
Hence why it’s regarded as the best you can buy. And when it comes to ease of use they are excellent to.

Old netgear here. Bought cheap 2nd hand off ebay. External aerial fitted and no problem streaming Netflix, Disney plus ect. I have had a minor problem but had no phone signal either. 90% of time excellent speed. Even though it's an old model it still has the 5g capability..

Hmmm
You can have any amount of kit but if there’s sod all signal or the masts are too congested it won’t make one iota of difference what you have or how much you decided to spend

My cheap ZTE MF286D router and Poynting Xpol is more than adequate but nearly always let down by the crap coverage I get from three via Smarty which is the default sim I use in it

We are off to VLF24 in Shrewsbury later today almost certainly there will be a full four bars but congestion will mean zero service from either my Three, or my alternate EE or O2 sims

There’s a surprising amount of people using starlink now for that very reason and if I was still working from ‘home’ the rolling £85 a month contract would start to look tempting

Netgear Nighthawk M5 arrived this morning and just set up.
Setup versus the Teltonika I have returned for a refund was simple. App is excellent to use and allows you to modify more or less everything.
In the house where the 3 coverage is moderate versus my mifi, iphone and the Teltonika the performance is awesome, x 3/4 times higher download speeds. Had a drive out to an area where I get poor coverage and again x 3/4 times faster download speed versus the Mifi and phone. Off to the lakes Sunday to my usual campsite where the 3 WiFi is poor so along with my antenna and mast fingers crossed i should be watching Sky sport with my fire stick.
I’ll report back with an update next week.

Back