NC500 restriction N of Lochinver

A lot of hirevans head for NC500.A lot of the drivers aren't used to single track roads

NC500 news .... We live near the A837 / B869 junction, numb with boredom on Monday, decided, now that 'the Season' is in decline, to go and drive the B869 loop from Lochinver to Kylestrome (returning via the main roads), something we have not done since the inception of the NC500 in 2015. As we passed the turn to Achmelvich, just before Rhicarn, there was a Council crew installing roadside signs declaring / advising / demanding "No camper vans or caravans beyond this point". We pressed on along the narrow, twisting, blind and in places very tricky (even in an estate car) road encountering some traffic, including a couple of absolute behemoths of vans coming the other way. At the NE end especially, the twists and gradients are reckoned to be even more testing than those at Bealach na ba on Torridon ... so they had done well to navigate it at all. No signs as yet installed at the northern junction with the A894. The campground at Clachtoll will suffer a loss of income as the result of this restriction, but it should make the remaining traffic flow a bit better. The signs appear to be advisory rather than legally binding, so it'll be interesting to see if a) anyone takes the slightest notice or b) any action is taken against them if they do not.

View attachment 87708 click to enlarge
Brings back memories from about 4-5 years ago driving anti clockwise (Westwards next to Clashnessie Bay) in very heavy rain turning a sharp left bend and meeting the local bus with a lorry behind it - no option but to reverse back around the blind corner and try and find a suitable passing place. I was extremely glad I was only driving a short wheelbase Relay van although it had no windows and had to rely solely on my two mirrors.

Really quite frustrated at people who say the nc500 is too busy, it certainly is......
But if you drive a few miles off the route you are likely to be on your own, especially if you can be bothered to read a map and can drive a sensible vehicle on single track roads.
This was taken at first light this morning about a mile off the route, with the first snow of the year on foinaven. Admittedly this one needs 4wd but most dont.
IMG_20201009_080032.jpg

Really quite frustrated at people who say the nc500 is too busy, it certainly is......
But if you drive a few miles off the route you are likely to be on your own, especially if you can be bothered to read a map and can drive a sensible vehicle on single track roads.
This was taken at first light this morning about a mile off the route, with the first snow of the year on foinaven. Admittedly this one needs 4wd but most dont.
View attachment 87764

I agree. The NC500 is just a name and a clever marketing ploy.

I wouldn't even consider going to Scotland and using a route made up by somebody else. I just go to Scotland.

i know there is a tendency to blame covid for everything but on our recent trip the % of hire vans on the road was really high , there were two on a parking place we used at glencoe £1,080 & £1,100 for a week , as it happens both of these guys were experienced lorry drivers but when my brother in law a consultant neurologist hired one the biggest thing he had driven previously was a range rover took it back after 3 days he’d already pranged it twice !

Bill most of my good friends are English and I find that hard to swallow there’s maybe an odd joke or a bit of banter it goes both ways how many times on here have we heard kilt and haggis jibes but I’ve not witnessed anything close to racism it’s the make fun of your neighbours thing same the world over like America and Canada Australia and New Zealand and the poor Irish get it from everybody.I don’t take it too seriously. People up north are getting pissed of not just with the English motorhome but all motorhomers . I personally go out of my way to make people welcome in my country especially English people as if found the same when I’m travelling in England.

Last edited:
Bill most of my good friends are English and I find that hard to swallow there’s maybe an odd joke or a bit of banter it goes both ways how many times on here have we heard kilt and haggis jibes but I’ve not witnessed anything close to racism it’s the make fun of your neighbours thing same the world over like America and Canada Australia and New Zealand and the poor Irish get it from everybody.I don’t take it too seriously. People up north are getting pissed of not just with the English motorhome but all motorhomers . I personally go out of my way to make people welcome in my country especially English people as if found the same when I’m travelling in England.

Exactly Wully.
I have never experienced any anti Scottish sentiment south of the border.
And to be honest I sometimes wonder why with all of the calls for independence up here.
When I meet anyone up here from Europe or other parts of the UK I always try to be helpful if they need help.
As for the Irish getting it from all sides, nothing beats Irish hospitality even Scottish hospitality.
Try standing with a map in O'Connell street and you will be inundated with folk asking can they help you.

I think you’ll find 2CV I’d referring to me because of my Big Hs wall comment. I’m not anti English and certainly not racist. I merely stated that the born and bred locals are happy to see the tourists and take advantage of the money they spend. There are a lot of English people who have retired to the highlands because of the tranquility and lifestyle and feel their peace has been shattered by the influx of tourism off the back of the NC500.

Bill nae tearing down rabbie burns statues in the name of (ELM) English life’s matter. 😜 see you tomorrow we’ll discuss this over a dram on zoom👍

To be honest it’s sad that we are even discussing this matter.
Obviously in any rural location you will have people with different needs, outlook, and at different times in their lives. Someone running a business that really only functions during the summer months will welcome visitors spending money in their villages. But those who have retired will have a different view and outlook. I don’t mind this it’s human nature. But what I don’t like is how we are singled out for special comment within the media, and treatment by some local councils. If we are regarded as a problem then there lies the problem. Attitudes towards us have to change, and some of us have to learn how to behave better.

Last edited:
I think you’ll find 2CV I’d referring to me because of my Big Hs wall comment. I’m not anti English and certainly not racist. I merely stated that the born and bred locals are happy to see the tourists and take advantage of the money they spend. There are a lot of English people who have retired to the highlands because of the tranquility and lifestyle and feel their peace has been shattered by the influx of tourism off the back of the NC500.

OK, I accept your point.

I
Quite frankly give me a single track road with sufficient passing places over a narrow two way road anytime. I look upon driving any road as a challenge that I tend to enjoy. Many a time I have told my wife to breath in on narrow two way roads, the Loch Lomond road north of Tarbert comes to mind, not just because it’s narrow, but it’s also busy. Each to their own.
I’ll second that, single roads every time, no sharp intake of breath every time mirrors Come into contact range.

I’ve been that way before and never encountered any problems, everyone was friendly and always waved when you showed you were happy to give way or let them pass and get about their business. I’ll be there again next week and still don’t expect to. If a bin wagon, fish or forestry truck, or Tesco delivery van can get by then so can I. I’ll give way to vehicles but not to prejudice or discrimination.

My wife and I spent 5 months touring the UK in our new 7.3m motorhome, trying to stay away from the motorways, and after coming from new Zealand I was staggered a the lack of spending on improving secondary roads. I was surprised to see that the roads were so needlessly narrow in this day and age. The single lane roads on the NC500 were a revelatation. Considering it is a main road around the north west of Scotland it should at least be a good width, 2 lane road virtually everywhere. It surprises me that people just accept so many of these narrow main roads. I managed 2 mirror collisions in our time there and spent much of my time holding my breath passing oncoming vehicles. Scotland is an amazing place it is a pity not to invest in better roads.
Happy travels

Aw I love single track roads @Timberjack69 , I like pulling over at passing places - they give me time to breathe deep and have a look around, always something new to see even on our loop road and the road into the village (which is about 11 miles single track and 2 miles two-lane)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back