National (not to be) trust (ed)

Moonraker 2

I recently heard that the national trust had rented/franchised their car parks in the lake district, so even if you are a member you have to pay. Has anyone experienced this?
I was going to go this autumn but might not now.

Not heard anything but NT advertise free entry to MOST of their car parks as a benefit of membership so maybe ask them the question?

They seem to be very much in bed with EH though so expect to be ripped off to help support the rich

From the NT website

Members park for free at our car parks in the Lake District, you can simply scan your membership card to ensure a contribution is given to the property you are visiting - this will ensure our local Rangers have much needed funds to support our important ongoing conservation projects.

NT & NTS don't give a stuff about their members from our point of view we've been members since 07 but this will be the last year mainly as they do not seriously cater for the disabled, they provide parking but it pretty much ends there at most places if you cannot walk far.

Nt like all profit hungry sites will find it harder to get our money or support in the future. Because of over reaching.
Not good when god or mothers topping them lakes up in August up. lol. as the son has left the area
But £ 19 for 24 hours parking including
20220824_110630.jpg
20220820_104217.jpg
over night . Ant bad at Airs force near keswick is the only waterful , ive walked up one side and down the other. Very nice. And sky fell perk is the best coffe ive had in the van. As clouds engulfed the the hill tops .
windermere was to busy. Canadian geese and others. but free parking from 5pm till 11am over looking the thwaite.

Free parking if you ignore all the NT signs. Go with this could be the last time , so enjoy

This year the Lakes had there ups and downs . : just like the Shakespeare meet. LOL

Attachments

• 20220818_104013.jpg
    20220818_104013.jpg
    425.8 KB · Views: 48
Avoid the honey spots in the Lakes and you will find plenty of free parking and stop overs.
Sadly not so much over the last couple of years. I think they used the pandemic to really finish it off for wilding. Last year we were there for a month with the van at the backend of last year's trips and all our old favourite wild spots had gone. CLs all the way. In some respects I can understand it as a lot of newbie morons in both tents and vans ruined it for everyone else.

Sadly not so much over the last couple of years. I think they used the pandemic to really finish it off for wilding. Last year we were there for a month with the van at the backend of last year's trips and all our old favourite wild spots had gone. CLs all the way. In some respects I can understand it as a lot of newbie morons in both tents and vans ruined it for everyone else.
I know some spots in the Lakes Peninsula are still valid, as for the other places we know of they may well be kaput now unfortunately.

Yes
I know some spots in the Lakes Peninsula are still valid, as for the other places we know of they may well be kaput now unfortunately.
Yes I should have said within the national park not around the coast. Bit grim though.

NT & NTS don't give a stuff about their members from our point of view we've been members since 07 but this will be the last year mainly as they do not seriously cater for the disabled, they provide parking but it pretty much ends there at most places if you cannot walk far.
Oh I am surprised by your remark. So many places I have visited have an electric buggy from the entrance. I thought that the provision was good, but then I am not disabled.

Oh I am surprised by your remark. So many places I have visited have an electric buggy from the entrance. I thought that the provision was good, but then I am not disabled.
Indeed some of them do and we have utilised them, but many don't or they are not suitable for the terrain, none disabled see some facilities and think them okay but often the car parks is gravel, and it's impossible to move through it with small wheels, many car parks are a long way from the house etc, and are too far to walk also the directions are lacking so you can easily end up going the wrong way, some places provide a shuttle bus but that is dependant on the time of year/day you visit and is reliant on if they have a trained up volunteer and that the shuttle is actually working.

I usually mention to a member of staff the short comings, but it seems to fall on deaf ears most of the time.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back