My new van for new camper project

tclarkie

here is a few pics of my van which i brought to convert into camper. It has had a respray and full 12mots on it, i am just looking now at caravans for sale to used all the stuff from caravan and fit most into the van. Hopefully nxt wk i am hoping if little girl behaves that is to start cracking on the interior. May just go to my friends scrapyard and get ply wood out of the vans there saves spending money.
Photo0129.jpg
Photo0130.jpg
Photo0133.jpg

You can sometimes buy complete interiors on e.bay at a reasonable price,I use two batteries in my engine wired in patrallel then to leisure battery a solar tricle charger sits on my dash when parked I just plug it into lead that conects to my batteries a good tip to start you off....

Jealous!
One day I will do a conversion, have been itching to do one for years.

Great choice of base vehicle, plenty of head room. My latest van is based on a Transit high top minibus and it feels nice and spacious. I found some good caravan interior fittings on the local Gumtree. Good luck with it - exciting! :)

looks great Tracey, will make a great campervan, will look forward to seeing it. Hows life with baby? XX

Great van Tracey!! good luck with the conversion...mine is nearly finished, Look forward to meeting you again, and heather at one of the meets !!!

Thanks guys, i have a full hot water system with central heating which i took out of my last van b4 i sold it,plus my leisure battery it is a full wired panel with fuses and wires for lights etc which i have. I have source several items already which i say are free. 2 windows, smev hob and sink but need burners for hob, plywood is from my friends van scrap yard and my partner Noel has got me loads of foam for seats and bed. It just needs fitting. :hammer:
Well the :baby: she is doing fine into everything she is really nosey..i hope will get to meet some of you again.:)

Well i scarp the idea now using the parts i have and brought myself a caravan for £200 including delivered. here is a pic of caravan i got this on 23rd april and i have spent 2 and half days stripping it out and the 4th day it was demolished and gave the alko chassis to a friend who offer his help for those tight screws i couldnt undo...lol.. I am hoping maybe this week i can start to insulate the van and get building....
It has: cascade water heater, gas fire, fridge, 3 burner hob, oven, sink and drainer, shower but no toilet but i buy a new one for that also has the bunk bed in it too. noe cushions came with the van but i got foam already...:)

caravan 1.jpg
Photo0160.jpg
Photo0163.jpg
Photo0162.jpg
Photo0164.jpg
Photo0193.jpg

Be more pics coming soon.......:)

Is that your Citroen H van behind the demolished caravan Tracey? If so, restore that it would be worth a fortune (probably worth a lot as it is!).

No it isnt Rob. I wished it was it would of being sold long time ago..:). It is at my friends house and he was going to start welding it has it needs alot but the panels are too thin to weld even with gas so he told the guy who owns it this and it has being parked there for about a year. It is a real shame.. Yes it was a caravan at some point...lol

Well i know one thing the caravan manufacturers sure don`t shy away from screws, glue and those bloody staples.....Well it is all going in as the same side has it was on caravan so all gas pipes and electrics run along the same way but cut down to fit the van. Only thing i need to know is i have seen it on the internet somewhere how to fit the caravan windows on a transit has it has a curve body and not flat if anyone can give some pointers and ideas. I know you need the wooden frame but what do people used to fill the gaps were it curves or do the windows fit ok. I havent started the windows yet but just a few ideas will be good. Last van had normal van windows put in and didnt matter about the curve in the van body.

when you take out a caravan window,it really helps to measure the hole,and sketch a corner-just hold paper against the corner and draw round it.then take off the rubber seal,this is held with staples too,but they'll pull through the rubber.now you should see little plastic corner bits.if you haven't got them make them out of ply. when you make the frame for the inside it's usually 3.5 cm

I have a van I intend to convert,I also have a caravan that is probably worth £1800 (though selling it is another matter)and has most of the bits I would need so a few questions
1. if I could get £1800 for it would it still be worthwhile stripping it out ie. what parts could I buy for £1800 to do a good job
2. How do you go about stripping stuff out,there does'nt seem to be any obvious screws and fixings where the furniture meets the walls
3. if anybody out there has done this how did you find refitting it into the donor vehicle ie what did you do about the contours where the furniture meets the walls, make new sides ?
This post is on the Self Build forum and I was given your post from a reply ,having just done it how did you find the experience .

Thanks nbrown i took the plastic bits out too has it saves trying to make something round corners, it just what to fill in the gaps on the van has the van hasnt got flat sides do i just used foam or something.
Well the caravan only cost me £200 and you dont need a fancy one but if it was me if i could sell it for £1800 i would and buy a cheaper one has once you took out the stuff you need normally you have to pay to get rid of rest of it -but parnter got abit a land and he burnt rest of mine. On the caravan it was a 1988 model and the screws are counter sunk into the frames but i had to take the apppliances/shevles out of the cupboards to get to the screws. Another thing is they are also screw in from the roof battens too and there is glue also. The van i had had very bad damp on roof and sides so it wasnt to hard. Has for the contours of the van last time i use a cardboard for template but i seen on youtube how to used a piece of wood drill with measure holes were a pencil/pen fits in and a point at the other end. Someone on here may know what they called it but there is a video on you tube for it. Unless you have very good memory i found taking photos has you strip it out helps when you start putting it in the van just incase you not sure what goes where..

If anyone lives in the north west a place in manchester does the facing plywood i am going to get in touch with these has if like me i need some has the orignal one for cupboard got bit damaged so i replacing it. I find out how much sheets cost and put it up here..

I try and be as much help for you if i can.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back