My New Temporary/permanent shower

Flyboy

Whats your shower like in your van /motorhome. At the moment my submersible pump has given up the ghost so drawing any hot water is impossible I would have to take the water tank off in order to replace it so at the moment that,s a no-no.
What i have done is bought a fence sprayer from B&Q for £17.00 this works better than the van shower ever did and only uses 3.5 litres of water ( it does hold 5 litres) to give you a 6-minute shower no more soaping yourselves up before getting into the shower.
Ok, i have to heat the water on the stove first but that's not an issue, you pump up the pressure in the fence sprayer and off you go this does work surprisingly well plus you could use it for washing off your dog or cleaning your windows and even washing your wellies.

[video=youtube;YRcYoiV4h9I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRcYoiV4h9I[/video]

Submersible pumps were never great. Ours was always ok but I replaced it with an external Surflo Pump and its fantastic now both in the sinks and shower. Some say you need to check your plumbing is up to the job but ive had it in three years or so now with no problems.

Hi ya Flyboy,
I use to use a similar pump when I lived & cruised on a boat a few decades ago, Mine was Metal though,,,
Great idea, but can I ask Are you a Livaboard matey ?. As although the way you describe may save water, i would find it a bit of a faf to use as my ‘Primary’ shower on a daily basis,,,You may want to consider just fitting an external sureflo pump for convenience.
I use around 20lt of water a day on ave, (say 150lt a week) & have a Wash in the mornings & a Shower 3 times a week, So not ‘That’ bad.
Great video though, Keep them coming.

Hi ya Flyboy,
I use to use a similar pump when I lived & cruised on a boat a few decades ago, Mine was Metal though,,,
Great idea, but can I ask Are you a Livaboard matey ?. As although the way you describe may save water, i would find it a bit of a faf to use as my ‘Primary’ shower on a daily basis,,,You may want to consider just fitting an external sureflo pump for convenience.
I use around 20lt of water a day on ave, (say 150lt a week) & have a Wash in the mornings & a Shower 3 times a week, So not ‘That’ bad.
Great video though, Keep them coming.

Hi yes am a 24/7/365 full timer, I will look into a sureflo pump to be honest I only use mybe 50 ltrs of water a week thats with 3 showers a week ( no i dont smell ).:camper:

Portable Shower.

We have been using a Hozelock Portable Shower for some years. Both of us get a shower out of it, using less than 5ltrs of water in total. Only put in a kettle or two of boiling water, rather than using the on board shower with 12ltrs (?) hot tank. This saves wasting a lot of water, and reduces gas usage. The on board shower is only used early and late season when we have the heating on. Works for us. We have also got a solar shower bag and sometimes lay it out in the sun to heat the water for later, although the downside to this method is that the water has cooled down before we shower before bed.

Hi yes am a 24/7/365 full timer, I will look into a sureflo pump to be honest I only use mybe 50 ltrs of water a week thats with 3 showers a week ( no i dont smell ).:camper:

Lol lol, No I’m sure you don’t smell lol lol (I’m a Zombie, Double the Size of you & Hairy so that accounts for the extra water I use & you can imagine how I smell, & it’s even worse in the summer months).
I will look out for your posts & Video, & I will check out your blog,,I’ve got a Peugeot as a base vehicle as well.
Where is you at now ?.
Keep warm matey.

Last edited by a moderator:
I, am near Bodmin Airfield for the night.

Oooh, we were just off the A30 (not far from Temple, by the airfield) for a night a week or so ago.
Shame we didn’t see/know each other, we’d have stuck the kettle on!
Stay warm.

We have been using a Hozelock Portable Shower for some years. Both of us get a shower out of it, using less than 5ltrs of water in total. Only put in a kettle or two of boiling water, rather than using the on board shower with 12ltrs (?) hot tank. This saves wasting a lot of water, and reduces gas usage. The on board shower is only used early and late season when we have the heating on. Works for us. We have also got a solar shower bag and sometimes lay it out in the sun to heat the water for later, although the downside to this method is that the water has cooled down before we shower before bed.

well when really hot pour into flask and then you can use to wash up etc

[we used to use a hoselock pump shower and one of these shower traybags . worked for years . ATTACH=CONFIG]61540[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• img149.jpg
    img149.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 189
My vans a SWB Talbot express, 30 years old and the shower is pretty amazing. The floor lifts up at the back and forms a full shower, combined with a paloma water heater and shurflo I can get the water to be the perfect temp regardless of weather and waste no hot water because there's no tank.

I've never used a carver water heater on the newer ones, but it says it takes 30 mins or so to heat the water up. I don't see how that's an improvement on instant hot water with no waste.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back