My Knob is sorted :) but does the flame burn as bright still?

wildebus

Right, so the Knobs on the "Spinflo Caprice MkIII" have been replaced (well, 5 of them - waiting on one more)
Definately worth doing :) looks brighter and the controls feel much more positive as well.
1601632141211.png

This leads me on to another question which maybe people with this cooker may be able to answer?

The two larger rings on the right seem good with a decent sized flame on high (bearing in mind I am not a Gas Cooker user really - used electric virtually exclusively for I don't know how many years so not got anything to compare the gas flame with anything other than one of those little portable canister stoves).
But the smaller ring on the left seems very weak?

Before I do any investigation, is it actually low, or is just the way that burner is anyway on these Cookers? A picture of the two front burners, both on full ...
1601632589808.png

Cheers :)

Last edited:
Hmm.

Hard to tell as all gas hobs are different.

Looks to me like the small one front left is more for when you're 'simmering' something, or when you don't want such a hot, fast cooking flame?

Hmm.

Hard to tell as all gas hobs are different.

Looks to me like the small one front left is more for when you're 'simmering' something, or when you don't want such a hot, fast cooking flame?
Cheers,
Definately a smaller ring but I would just have thought that would be a little more (on the lower setting you can hardly see the flame on that one). As I said, I really don't know what to expect for sure though.

Very hard to say.
I don't have the same cooker, but the simmer ring on the cooker in the van has a very low flame too, probably much the same as you're pic. Not much help I know.
Nice blue flame though (y)

Very hard to say.
I don't have the same cooker, but the simmer ring on the cooker in the van has a very low flame too, probably much the same as you're pic. Not much help I know.
Nice blue flame though (y)
Thanks. it does look a healthy colour and instant starting with no spluttering at all, so probably just my lack of experience to know what to expect :D

I have a very very similar cooker, right down to the pattern of the front panel and with the large and small burners in the same spots. Like yours, the small burner flame at the front is hardly visible when turned right down but I must say I get a stronger flame than yours when it's up high. Yours looks almost halfway down to me. Could just be a case of 'geography' within the metal of the burners. Other than gently poking the holes to look for hidden grime, I'd use it as a 'feature' rather than a 'fault'... sometimes it'll be exactly the flame that you need :)

I have a very very similar cooker, right down to the pattern of the front panel and with the large and small burners in the same spots. Like yours, the small burner flame at the front is hardly visible when turned right down but I must say I get a stronger flame than yours when it's up high. Yours looks almost halfway down to me. Could just be a case of 'geography' within the metal of the burners. Other than gently poking the holes to look for hidden grime, I'd use it as a 'feature' rather than a 'fault'... sometimes it'll be exactly the flame that you need :)
Thanks. I think I will do as you suggest and just use as is until either it stops working or I am minded to delve further (so unlikely on that one :) )

Appreciate the replies and comments, all (y)

I'd say that those flames do look a bit small, but as it is the one you would use when you only want a gentle heat, even if it isn't designed that way, I'd see as a feature, not a bug.
You can change the jets in gas appliances to alter the flame size, and it's fine as long as you can get the air mixture right. But in general, it's best to leave well alone.
At home, we cook with an Aga. No controls at all. Well, none you adjust in use.

Looks exactly the same cooker as we had in our Swift ( though I think that was labelled Stoves)
All burners had the same size flames that looked the same as your large burner on the right.
Could be that the jet is partially blocked.

I too would expect the same size flames on all burners.
So a small flame would suggest low gas flow.
Take the burner off and look for restrictions.
Check that the jet is clear and finally it is possible that the valve is partially blocked but technically that's a 'gas safe' job.

I too would expect the same size flames on all burners.
So a small flame would suggest low gas flow.
Take the burner off and look for restrictions.
Check that the jet is clear and finally it is possible that the valve is partially blocked but technically that's a 'gas safe' job.
I was going to head down before Christmas to visit family and could have got my brother (ex gas chappy) to look at it, but with the current Coronavirus restrictions doesn't seem much point :(

Looking at your photo my hob is a different brand but layout and burner 'construction' is the 'same' - my flames are all the same.
So it's probably just a partially blocked jet - compare the two when you remove the burners.

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back