My Highland disaster - A cautionary tale

reiverlad

After a wonderful weekend at the recent Highland gathering at Brin I set off on what promised to be an exciting trip doing the NC500 and extending it all the way down to the Mull of Galloway, then Arran & home.

I had a cracking 2 weeks of leisurely driving, outstanding scenery and meeting lovely people along the way.
I had taken over 600 photo's along the almost 700 miles part of the trip

How things can change in the blink of an eye

I had spent a lovely day in Ullapool, where the fish and chips were out of this world.
I topped up both Gas & fuel and was all set to find some more gems on my journey.

I set off to the Gairloch and the coast road took my fancy and set off down that road.

Then – disaster struck – and swiftly too.

Driving along at a leisurely pace, all of a sudden smoke started pouring out of the glove comaprtment & dashboard.
I screeched to a halt, ran around and use the fire extinguisher, but to no avail.

I then ran to a lovely large motorhome coming towards me – but they didn't carry an extinguisher !!
I then ran back and made sure the gas bottles were fully closed – but by that time I could not enter the van due to the thick choking smoke.
Within 2 minutes of stopping – the van was gone
The plume of smoke rose high above the treeline and the flames were 20 feet in the air !

It seems I could not have choosen a worse spot for it to happen as I was midway between both Ullapool & Gairloch and both fire engines arrived together after 45 agonising minutes.
The road was closed for 2 hours.

A cautionary tale – make sure you carry a fire extinguisher – and make it a big one !

Last edited:
Bloody hell, what a terrible experience! Just glad you're unhurt. Have you found out the cause of the fire? It really goes to show how quickly things can change!

I feel for you, and thanks for telling us all of your ordeal. Our extinguisher is on a wall clip by the back door, but whether it would be man enough to tackle your situation is another matter!
I will rethink sizing...
John

How awful for you but at least you are OK, it could have been so much worse, I carry three fire extinguishers plus a fire blanket but it sounds like yours was an electrical fire so nothing would have helped unless you could disconnect the batteries quickly

Hi
So sorry at your news. What a terrible end to a wonderful journey. Just glad you are OK.
Jean and Robert

As long as no one was hurt, that's the most important thing.
You can replace a motorhome not a life.

I came out of it virtually unhurt - only 2 blisters on two fingers of one hand.
So yes - everything has gone but i am here to tell the tale.

Memories I still have, and I will just have to do it all again since it was so much fun.
There were so many places i didn't get to either and so many place suggested to me where I should visit

I have to say that the help and assistance i received afterwards was second to none - true highland hospitality at it's finest.

I have not been put off by my experience - once i get everything sorted with the Insurance !

That was an awful experience, just glad no one was hurt.

Awful

Makes my problems seem small and puts them in perspective.
Glad to here you are unhurt and getting back in the saddle.

Good luck with the insurance company

Dave

So pleased that you are safe and well and no doubt that you will be up and running in no time,

That must be the scariest thing, just glad your ok.Your not having much luck at the moment. I seem to remember you broke down on your way to the Rutland meet.
Main thing is your ok.

Glad your ok and you get to Finnish your trip you were looking forward to it at Brian

I don't know what I'd do in that situation. Probably freeze.well done . Thankfully your out Alive. Possessions can be sorted.
Good luck sorting out the future.

Your safe that's about all that really matters. That said it must be upsetting and I wish you well in finding a replacement if that's what you do. Hope you didn't loose to matter items that can't be replaced.

Pleased you are OK and I admire your attitude to it all!

Richard

A cautionary tale indeed, and one I shall heed. Thank you for the reminder.
Glad you are OK but I would be so upset to see my van go up in smoke.

What a terrible thing to happen hope you are ok and insurance are on the ball. Will have to upgrade my extinguisher we only carry one small one makes you think good luck

Along with everyone else we would express our sympathies and hope your insurance coughs up generously.

As well as prompting us about fire extinguisherd do you have any idea what caused it so we can learn? Sounds like electrical?

Reading varoious posts on this and other forums does concern one that many professionals and I suspect some manufacturers have a limited knowledge of the complexity of modern MH electrics with the base vehicle with smart CANBUS technology, retrofitted solar panels, extra leisure batteries and inverters.

Must be upsetting, hope all gets back to normal asap.
Twice I've had the smoke leak out the wires, first time was in South Uist, luckily turning the ignition off stopped it getting out of control, second time was a bit more serious, I had to reach under the dash into the smoke to release bonnet so I could disconnect the battery, although this stopped the source the fire continued so had to discharge powder extinguisher under dash, what a mess, but at least the car was saved. If I had lost my van with all it's contents would have been very upset.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back