my fridge is driving me mad

frostybow

can anyone give me some advice i have a 3 way fridge when on gas or electric the freezer compartment works great but the fridge part dose not feel as could as it should be anyone now what the problem could be ?:confused:

Fridges are a blooming nuisance!

I know what to do when they wont work on gas but work off battery/elecy,

good luck! I hope someone will help soon, like they helped me.

The other thing is new fridges are soooooo expensive!

Craig

can anyone give me some advice i have a 3 way fridge when on gas or electric the freezer compartment works great but the fridge part dose not feel as could as it should be anyone now what the problem could be ?:confused:
Hi Frosty,

Difficult fault to pin down but it could be the temperature regulator knob at fault. Maybe when you adjust the temp. the knob is not turning the spindle.

As a temporary measure, freeze a container of water (you said the freezer part was ok) and put it into the main compartment. I hope you are lucky and have a cheap fault to fix.

Have a good look at the door seals and make sure they are sealing the door - especially the bottom seal as the cold air will just leak out of the fridge.

Check the hinges and make sure they are tight as well.

If that does n't work then you might need to have a look at the back of the fridge and check that excess heat is not causing problems.

Let us know how you go with the seals first.

fridge

This may sound a bit daft; but are you level or should i say is the fridge level when you are trying it out or making it work. It seems that the latest kind of fridges fitted to all sorts do not work as well as the old generation of fridges, i wonder why the manufacturers have moved away from fitting TILT tolerant fridges, were they too expensive?? Also the new type do not like a lot of food stuff in them, they sweat. I had an old Toyota Hi Ace and the fridge in that old camper was fitted on adjustable stilts(legs) and it only worked on gas and 12 volts and after levelling it off it used to work a treat.

Have a good look at the door seals and make sure they are sealing the door - especially the bottom seal as the cold air will just leak out of the fridge.

Check the hinges and make sure they are tight as well.

If that does n't work then you might need to have a look at the back of the fridge and check that excess heat is not causing problems.

Let us know how you go with the seals first.

Door seals would be my guess too. Plus checking that there is plenty of ventilation at the back and that the cooling fins are not too dusty. Also, although the ice box may feel cold it still might not be cold enough to keep the rest of the fridge cool. Does the fridge get colder if on mains rather than gas or is it about the same on both?

AndyC

thanks to every one fo your replys will give fridge a good going over on weekend and if that dont work i will send wife in to sort it out. ouch?:eek:

If the fridge is an "oldie"......change it for a compressor type.....expensive BUT well worth it.....you don't have to be level for it to work and maximum consumption is 15 amps per day usage while stationary.......mine works fine for 5 days + on my LB

If the fridge is an "oldie"......change it for a compressor type.....expensive BUT well worth it.....you don't have to be level for it to work and maximum consumption is 15 amps per day usage while stationary.......mine works fine for 5 days + on my LB
Compressor fridge power consumption varies a lot, I reckon my 110 litre Waeco uses around 40 Ah per day.

AndyC

You should always run your fridge on gas not 12v battery.

Its cheaper and you will get three or four times the life out of your battery.

Constant deep discharges wreck a battery pretty quickly.

Unless it's a compressor fridge of course. :)

AndyC
Of course you are right, andyc but from what I have read in MMM and PM, the disadvantage is the current drawn is more than with an Absorption unit.

I believe that a lot of vans (even factory built ones) need a bigger leisure battery than comes with them. There is too much electrical kit nowadays and batteries are worked hard, especially in Winter.

Also, a lot of fridges are operating nearly empty and are not needed. In a smaller conversion, a compressor type cool box is a better option unless you need to carry a lot of food for longer trips. They take up less space in a smaller van, which is an important factor.

I had my gas regulator go down on my last van, so it is important to be able to manage without gas. I carried a small microwave, electric kettle and fan heater. I had to be on hookup but I managed in cold weather for 5 weeks like that.

Let us know when you get your fridge sorted. Good Luck.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back