Music switch new ducato

Fisherman

I am trying to establish what batteries are used when listening to the radio with the ignition turned of on new Ducatos. think I read somewhere it’s the habitation batteries.

IMG_6994.jpeg

I’ve got that switch but not in same place kills power to stereo as you said think it’s for saving battery if vans not getting used.
Why would you have a radio on if the vans not getting used, is it for memory in moderen radios.

I’ve got that switch but not in same place kills power to stereo as you said think it’s for saving battery if vans not getting used.
Does your radio work without the ignition key when the switch is on? And then not at all when switch is off?

There is a real problem with newer radios draining the batteries even when "off" if not installed correctly. The "off" button on a modern in-dash radio does not actually turn the radio off, it is more of a standby button at best, and there are various features such as the Bluetooth for example that remain active even when you don't need them and they are pretty power hungry, especially for a smallish starter battery when parked up.
This is one reason why it is pretty important to have a way to properly turn off the radio whilst still keeping power to it to maintain the settings. Tradionally the ignition key was the method and is still the most common of course, but motorhome makers often bypass that so you can use the radio with the key out - but too often they don't provide a way to be able to fully turn it off - and that is where that switch you have likely comes in, where they DID think about it.

Going back to my VW days, this is one of the reasons I made my Drive/Camping Radio Loom... On the VW Transporters they don't have an ACC+ (Ignition) wire in the VW radio loom, so people would upgrade from the naff VW radios and wire the ACC+ (it is that signal that controls if the radio FULLY off) to the battery + and then their battery will drain in a matter of days and they will when wonder what happened.
The vast majority of my Radio Looms went to VW owners to help get round that problem (there was an optional add-on that brought in an ACC+ signal back to the radio as well for best results)

I like my method the best as you can chose with a flick of a switch if the radio comes on and off with the key - just like a car - and you never have to mess about; Or you allow it to come on without the key if you are just sitting in the van parked up and want to listen to the radio.
Gives you both ways of working and saves your battery as well :D
I leave mine in the "Drive" position most of the time; switch to "Camping" when just sitting in the back or parked up; and in a 3rd "Off" position where the radio is always off when I take the van for a service or MOT or the like so the garage doesn't mess around with it.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back