MOTs

Have just had our car mot done at the LA place. They have just started doing servicing too but only if you ask. Very reasonable and helpful. Don't seem to be touting for business like some of the multi-national chains. Even had a quick look at the tyres etc first so I could sort them rather than fail.

Well, I've read the article, but not sure I understand it.
Most of it seems straight forward. I thought the bit about early testing and a fail already applied, is, the current MOT became invalid.
Does it mean that a serious fail can't be driven to a garage for repair?

To be honest reading that, I thought most of it was already in and always had been. You could always get fined for lights, anything fitted had to work and any extra you fitted had to comply with C&U, lighting or other regs. Must be because I used to be in car clubs and did some modding that made me aware I suppose. Only real difference for most things is it is now an MOT fail, you could always get fined, not a bad thing I don't think.

As to removing bits that should be fitted it has always been the case, some of the club guys used to remove the CAT from the exhaust system and fit back before having MOT. This was done for performance gains rather than cost savings though but principle is the same as removing particulate filters.

Well, I've read the article, but not sure I understand it.
Most of it seems straight forward. I thought the bit about early testing and a fail already applied, is, the current MOT became invalid.
Does it mean that a serious fail can't be driven to a garage for repair?

The biggest implication Sue in my opinion will be cars failing on DPF,s that have been removed or tampered with there will be one or two people who have bought vehicles used in for a shock

Driving to or from for an MOT with a serious fail has always in reality been an offence, Driving to a test is not a caveat to knowingfully drive a defective vehicle if a tyre is bald for example it has always been an offence , the driving to and from a test was really to assist and an exemption from "road tax" The grey area of course is if the car doesn't pass emissions you wouldn't reasonably know taking it to the test I think that this really just confirms in a fail situation it needs to be trailered to a place of repair.

No Mot is not an endorsable offence so the latest raft of legislation is trying to beef the importance up IMHO

Channa

I believe you can drive it to a place of repair. That can be your home!
The wording was a place of suitable repair so that can be your home.

The test centre doesn't have to be the closest either which is a myth often banded about

Channa

Having had a think about it, I think the important word is "fine." Another way to raise more money. Much more important than having the police sorting things like burglary.

The trouble with mot testing is garages like making money out of repairs.

One place will fail a car, the next mot place will pass the same car.

Years ago the ministry used to have their own test centres where you got a honest mot test carried out, the testers used to come down in white dust coats, the guy underneath used to talk to the assistant in the car via a public address system, three guys to test the car,

but it was honest !

:wave:

Years ago the ministry used to have their own test centres where you got a honest mot test carried out, the testers used to come down in white dust coats, the guy underneath used to talk to the assistant in the car via a public address system, three guys to test the car,

but it was honest !

Local authorities who most don't repair offer MOTs.

What a lot of people don't realise too is Vosa or whatever incarnation they call themselves nowadays do two things audit MOT s as everthings on PCs so are looking for inconsistency

Secondly VOSA do send vehicles with known defects for tests as part of checking a test centre gets it wrong the shite does hit the fan pass when it should fail vice versa

Part of the problem as always been some items have been in the opinion of the tester I,e corrosion etc

Channa

Yes you can I should have said if any of the faults are marked as dangerous, I think the mot station could always issue a notice of unroadworthy but it is now getting stricter.

If it dangerous here it is parked up at station and can only be trailered away.
Other wise you are allowed to drive to & from station on the day of test,all stations here are gov controlled.

We had our mh mot done a few weeks back, we asked the garage owner whether it would make any difference to our next mot, he said no, it's just euro 6 vehicles it will affect with visible smoke test, and he said it is very rare to see a euro 5 with problems so there ya go. Everything else seems to be just clarifying the regs, and advisories, which a lot of people seem to ignore, are now bumped up a bit to make you get them sorted earlier rather than later, not a bad thing really.

I think that the only thing that makes a significant difference is that at present, your MOT certificate is valid until it expires, even if it fails a subsequent test.

The new rules mean that failing an MOT test cancels the old certificate. Inconvenient, but sensible in my view.

I took that as having always been the case, if your vehicle had failed an mot, even with an old still valid mot the police could still have prosecuted you.

It’s always been a minefield, an MOT does not mean a vehicle is compliant with every bit of legislation. Regarding the old/current MOT, using a vehicle that fails an early test may not be illegal but see what happens if you have an accident. Certainly insurance would drop on you I expect.

but it was honest !

Which is why I always use my LA test centre.

Korky.

New MOT rules next month. Maybe someone might like to have a little read.
.... Tom ....

New MOT rules could mean fines of up to PS2,500 | PetrolPrices.com
The new rules are coming out in May, presently if your car fails its Mot you may take it to somewhere to be repaired direct from a booked in mot appointment but it legaly has no mot if it has failed from that moment. Once repairs have been carried out and re boked for mot and passes your mot will be post dated from your last pass certificate if it still has date on it. You can post date upto 28 days before mot due...as a Mot tester myself what we have been told that as vosa mot tests are minimum standards they are changing the fail and advise categories mainly to stop using mot tests as an up sell. If your rear wiper blade is worn for example people have been advising it even though it is not a testable item. So now we can still advise it but it will be clear to the customer that it was not part of the mot test but something the tester has spotted.
Hope this helps with some of your queries

You are missing the point.

If you take it for an early MOT and it fails, that doesn't (currently) invalidate the remaining time on the old MOT.

All you need to do is fit the fault and it is completely legal to drive.

Under the new rules you have to fix the fault AND get it re-tested.

No, I didn't miss the point I was making a point that you could still be in trouble now by using it. I dont have a problem with the retest as there would be people who wouldn't get it done and run round or sell it on before the MOT knowing it had an undisclosed problem. It would be worse if the did like Trev says and you had to trailer it away

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back