motorway driving

Polly

Hia
I'm back again till weekend then I go and watch George racing it's at the place we were at last bank holiday remember like 'Glastonbury' with mud but no music but a TRACTOR

I have a couple of questions I would like to ask
I have every faith in getting the right answers (nearly said sensible answers then ;);) )

1) what is the speed limit for a car on the motorway?
2) what is the speed limit for a motorhome on the motorway?
3) can a motorhome use the (fast) (overtaking) outside lane?

These are not trick questions
I think I have had a senior moment :confused::confused::D:D

and I have been bobbing up and down the motorway these last few weeks it dosen't bare/bear thinking about :eek::eek:

Incidentally..... There is no such lane as a 'Fast' lane (Personal bugbear of mine when people call lane 3 that)
Motorways simply have lanes 1, 2, and 3.
Lanes 2 and 3 are BOTH overtaking lanes, all traffic should then return to lane 1 after overtaking.

Why is it that very few drivers seem to understand this ??

at last

hiya biker jeff, at last i have found a kindred soul...why o why don't "DRIVERS" return to lane one after overtaking ? they just mooch on in lane 2 thinking "that's the biz" I'm cool ! just don't get me going on signals and the lack thereof...particularly at the approach to roundabouts... i have installed a crystal ball on my dash !!!! how much effort does it take to flip the signal with ones finger ? if any of you motor homers are guilty then stand up,be counted and hang your heads in shame... biker jeff and myself know !!!!

threesome.

i trust that you used the appropriate signals !!! so now theres three of us ! come on the rest of you !!!!!!

The amount of times i am in lane 1, and have to cross two lanes to lane 3, just to overtake some dork sitting in lane 2.
I would like to see the old bill hand out fixed penalties for these idiots that just sit in lane 2.

Me too

i hate to admit it but i do too ! have you noticed that they generally have flat caps and driving gloves ?

Yes *****, i've done that myself when driving a truck because we cant use lane 3.
But if plod see you, your risking a tug, just because of these twonks that dont understand lane discipline.

Polly, polly , polly.

your post has beem hijacked by aged and happy aliens !!!! are you ok with this ?

"super poster"

at last, ***** is going back to work ! now i can do 4500 posts tonight , hee hee, who needs food and sleep !

same goes for me ocasionaly you have to pass on the inside especialy when aproaching a hill (i know i should not ) but some of these pricks still dont take any notice of you and are still in the center lane when you lose sight of them in your mirrors miles further on .
i think the gantry signs on motorways if not being used for warning us of problems ahead ,should be used to remind drivers of some highway code rules such as lane disiplin and it would not cost a penny but might save a life

also ***** is so right regarding fog lamps
foglamps are for fog not a few spots of rain

Ah well !!!!

i know when i am beaten, i surrender !!!! long live the king.

When i was a trucker i used to work the afternoon shift. In the winter i was very often driving for 6 to 8 hours in the dark.
Bloody fog lights were the bane of my life, i would get constant headaches from being blinded by them. Especially worse in the rain because the high intensity red light will refract.

Actually, I don't agree with some of the sentiments expressed about lane use. Some of it comes from the rules being different in Australia where provided there are lane markings, you are permitted to overtake on the inside, but there is also a practical aspect.

If there are lots of trucks they are only permitted to drive at a speed lower than the car speed limit and only able to use the middle lane to overtake other trucks or cars travelling below the truck speed limit oin the left lane.. If a car or a motorhome is travelling at the motorway speed limit then it makes sense to travel in the middle lane and only use the outside lane to pass slower vehicles or trucks using the middle lane to pass other trucks. Doing that will not ever annoy those who wish to break the speed limit in the outside lane and it will never concern trucks because they should not be getting up to that speed anyway. It certainly doesn't make much sense for a car doing the speed limit to continually shuffle in and out of the left lane among the slow trucks.

Obviously this only applies if you are driving right on the speed limit. 10mph below and you need to be in the left lane.

Another of my pet hates.
Fog lights should only be used when visibility is below either 100 metres or yards.
The idiots that use them just don't realize that you can't see their brake lights and they are putting them selves in more danger, specially when it is raining

rear fogs are a pain, or i aught to say the nutters that use them are.you see some jerk with fog lights on storming down the motorway at 70 mph in light rain or mist surely you only need them on when the conditions are severe, so if the driver thinks it is bad enough to warrant there use then why o why travel at that speed. they aught to have a system where if you use your rear fogs then it limits your top speed to 50 mph then this may stop idiots using them unnecessarily. it is very rairly i have ever used mine as i dont think we get the severe fogs we used to get.

It seems the smaller the car, the bigger and more badly aimed are the foglights.

Hia
No I don't mind at all my post getting hyjacked as long as a got my answers which I think I did.:confused::confused:

On the motorway if a truck is struggling to overtake me I do slow down a little so they can get pass me well they are at work.

Also on a/b roads I will consider pulling over when safe to do so to let them pass

On my journey down to Pembridge I had my daughter for company and she now works with a transport company so I had her truck spotting.
sad world :D:D:D:D
but I'm happy

Pembridge

is that the pembridge in herefordshire, what a cracking place that is,great black and white pubs with great food. i learnt to skydive just north of pembridge at shobdon airfield. but alas no more,too expensive !!!!!

I don't know if any of you folks have driven a car in the city center of Melbourne, Australia.
There is a traffic rule, if you are turning right at traffice lights, you must be positioned on the extreme left of the road. So when the lights change to green, you inch forward, blinking right. You remain there till all the cars on your right go by, before you can turn right. That is a fact.

Having travelled for work for the last twenty odd years doing almost 1000miles a week, and riding a motorcycle all over the UK I know just where you guys are coming from, Drivers that undertake, (including bikers) those that sit in either lane two or even worse sit at 69mph in the outside lane and refuse to budge as theyare being sensible. Foglights and indesicive drivers make it more difficult on a daily basis.

Thats before I start with the Herberts on the mobile, having a shave, or applying make up etc. I swear I actually saw a woman using a hairdrier as she was driving once

Madness total Madness :eek: :eek:

The people I blame though are our glorious leaders that determine our motorways not worthy of policing anymore. I very very rarely see a policeman or police car on any motorway these days, just a few pretend policemen (Highway patrol bods) that is why there are so many offences commited cause there is no one to stop it.

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back