Motorhome Tax

mariesnowgoose

Neil is having a proper whinge this morning.

The tax for our Autosleeper is £325 pa.

He is shocked and thinks this is steep, I've told him it is because it because it is an older 2.5TDi engine (2003) and that vehicle tax does not work like insurance.

He's not convinced. He never is. You can't really argue with the DVLA on this one, but will he heck as like believe me... (he never does!) :rolleyes: 🤪 :rolleyes:

Can you guys please tell him I'm right about this?! 🙏

(PS. it's probably because I've usually paid both the motorhome insurance and tax in the past and he's never asked how much it is before 🤭🤭🙂 )

Last edited:
Tell him to shop around, that should confuse him for a while,
The only way to get it cheaper he would have to go back to 1970 or up it’s gross weight to over 3500kg
My vw caddy that is euro 6 was £295 and I do believe it has gone up since so could well be the same as yours to tax next time.

He is shocked and thinks this is steep, I've told him it is because it because it is an older 2.5TDi engine (2003) and that vehicle tax does not work like insurance.

He's not convinced. He never is. You can't really argue with the DVLA on this one, but will he heck as like believe me... (he never does!) :rolleyes: 🤪 :rolleyes:
Slight exaggeration m'dear - just wanted to double check, s'all.

Been 'in between' campers for a little while, so a bit taken aback. Paid now.

Road tax went up by the CPR rate of inflation to £325.
We do far less miles than the average car, but pay on average a whole lot more.
Off on a tangent here, but why do those who pay more into the system get a whole lot less out of it.
Also I don’t understand is why heavier more polluting vehicles pay a lot less, that makes no sense whatsoever. I was advised to up my new van to 3650kg at no extra cost, and half my road tax, but I cannot be bothered with all of the bother when I turn 70 in 18 months time.

Neill shut up enjoy the van you have not had for a while then you and yer lass can enjoy
on my moan I got a shock as well when I taxed our new one as it's 3*5 tonne where as the previous one was just under 4 tonne cheaper to tax so feel yer pain but treat marie and also buy her a new SCARF😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

Personally, I think the bill should take into account mileage per year of each vehicle, which will be a lot less on average for your motorhome than a car or working van.
Also think the emissions test results should be published in the online mot certificate, seeing as that's a major factor in what you pay.
The payments are set to keep things 'simple' & straightforward, I guess, but in this day of sophisticated technology...

Neill shut up enjoy the van you have not had for a while then you and yer lass can enjoy
on my moan I got a shock as well when I taxed our new one as it's 3*5 tonne where as the previous one was just under 4 tonne cheaper to tax so feel yer pain but treat marie and also buy her a new SCARF😀😀😀😀😀😀😀
It's-a not so bad, it's-a nice-a place
Ah shaddap-a you face!
:cry:

What I'd like to know, why has the government told workers not to ask for wage rises on line with inflation, yet they think it perfectly acceptable to put prices up by inflation.
It works like this, prices going up doesn't cause inflation, workers wages going up does, simples.

Road tax went up by the CPR rate of inflation to £325.
We do far less miles than the average car, but pay on average a whole lot more.
Off on a tangent here, but why do those who pay more into the system get a whole lot less out of it.
Also I don’t understand is why heavier more polluting vehicles pay a lot less, that makes no sense whatsoever. I was advised to up my new van to 3650kg at no extra cost, and half my road tax, but I cannot be bothered with all of the bother when I turn 70 in 18 months time.
I do more miles per year in the van than Caz does in the car, been the same every year since I retired but I am almost always out in the van

Obviously I was referring to national figures, not your specific figures.
The average mileage for a motorhome in the UK is around 3000 a car 8000.
You mean not everyone has over 100k on the clock !!!

Only joking, I know most vans sit in storage or on the drive apart from a few weeks a year when they drive to a campsite. Could never understand why they got a van instead of a caravan though but we are all different 😁👍

Yep its right. The old diesels get hammered now. Dont forget its a minutes work to sorn it for a month or two so if you are not going to use it for a couple of months if you time it right you will get back £27 a month. Just as easy to put it back on the road online in minutes.

Obviously I was referring to national figures, not your specific figures.
The average mileage for a motorhome in the UK is around 3000 a car 8000.
Average for cars in N I is 12,000 YEAR, when i was younger id see 40.000 a year which is well above for family car, poor bus service here accounts for car miles.
AS for vans, many only taken out easter 2 weeks in summer and maybe a bank holliday, iv seen some 25 year old vans with less than 20 g on them.

Yep its right. The old diesels get hammered now. Dont forget its a minutes work to sorn it for a month or two so if you are not going to use it for a couple of months if you time it right you will get back £27 a month.

Just as easy to put it back on the road online in minutes.
Just a warning note .... If you SORN your vehicle, you cannot then take it off SORN on-line for at least one day and possibly two. You would have to go to a Post Office and tax it manually. Just one to watch if you are umming and ahhing to do it and then realised you needed to be taxed.

(I found this when I needed to SORN a vehicle to 'reset' the tax and then the next morning (on the 1st of the month), I couldn't take it off SORN).

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back