Motorhome showrooms to open soon?

John H

Under the easing of lockdown, certain non-essential retail outlets are being allowed to open (if they can comply with social distancing) on June 1st. These include car showrooms, which I assume includes motorhomes but cannot find any specific reference. Hope it does - 'cos we have to downsize due to me failing the D4 medical to drive our current 4.5 tonner. At the moment I'm suffering a double-whammy - can't move due to lockdown AND DVLA. The moment they give the all-clear, I want to be able to get in and drive - as far as possible! :)

Mine is opening next week, motorhome viewing by appointment only and strict social distancing guidelines in place.
They will be contacting me mid June to organise first hab service and small warranty job, £240.00 for the hab service !
What a rip off 😡😡😡😡
Was contemplating looking elsewhere but don’t want to jeopardise the warranty and the dealer in question has been excellent sorting out any minor issues I have had since new. They even did me an oil change as a jesture of goodwill when I had to wait 2 weeks for a part from Pilote.

Can I ask what you have in mind, as in brand?

Our current van is a Hymer and we wouldn't be getting rid of it if it weren't for the need to downsize, so very interested in Hymer and have seen some interesting Dethleffs (part of the Hymer group). Lowdhams have the advantage of being a dealer for both and being relatively close to us (30 miles). We want a fixed bed (happy with the island bed we have currently) and as big a payload as possible - any ideas greatly appreciated. Must be below 3.5 tonnes :)

Under the easing of lockdown, certain non-essential retail outlets are being allowed to open (if they can comply with social distancing) on June 1st. These include car showrooms, which I assume includes motorhomes but cannot find any specific reference. Hope it does - 'cos we have to downsize due to me failing the D4 medical to drive our current 4.5 tonner. At the moment I'm suffering a double-whammy - can't move due to lockdown AND DVLA. The moment they give the all-clear, I want to be able to get in and drive - as far as possible! :)
try 500 miles, we are with you all the way, well i tried. on and on. okpj.

I got a email from SMC to say they are open from 1st.
We've been looking at small A class vans, some of which might suit you. The 7m Hymer for two was interesting but not quite what we wanted. Carthago 143 iirc which is narrow and light weight looks good. There was also a small Frankia we liked but not sure on payload at 3.5t

Well, we duly trotted along to Lowdhams yesterday (at 30 miles, it was the longest journey we had undertaken in over two months!) and were amazed that there were quite a few people there. You can only go by appointment and I suspected that we might be the only ones there but it is clear that motorhomes are going to be in high demand this summer. They had all the appropriate distancing measures and sanitisation in place but we were free to look in any van we wished, so I did wonder about contamination there (there were lots of sanitising points around but using them was up to the individual). After two hours, we came out, having ordered a new motorhome - a Dethleffs Eurostyle T6757, which was the one at the top of my list after searching the web. It should arrive in July (assuming that Covid allows it to get here from Germany!) and we will be in a position to start travelling again (provided that Covid allows us to!). A very successful day - and at the end of it, instead of shaking hands with the salesman, we touched feet while still remaining (more or less) the required distance apart. Will this become the new greeting?

Expect middle of June lots of deals on used vans

I was interested to hear a dealer group saying if they had to cut 5% off all the vehicles they would close down and sack 100 employees.

Expect middle of June lots of deals on used vans.
It's a lovely thought but I suspect not.

My local dealer has said that since re-opening he's been busy with sales of used vans, and he's always been open and honest with me. In which case I'm afraid there's no need for deals.

I am full of praise for my dealer.
I was booked for a hab inspection for next Wednesday from weeks ago.
And I have arranged for a bit of work to be done on the road home.
I got a phone from them (Catterick Caravans) to say that they were reopening but closed on Wednesdays. Could I come down on Saturday. Well having made all the arrangements and being ready to go I said this will cause me one or two issues, particularly with the other person who I had arranged to do the work.
The lady said I will phone you back in 5 minutes.
Well she phoned back and I am still going Wednesday. There will only be two people there her and the engineer to do the inspection. And I will have the place to myself with toilet facilities, and as much coffee as I can drink.
When the engineer is finished they are heading home.

Having worked in the m/trade i stay well clear of show rooms as the shirt and tie brigade sicken me to the core as most know nothing about the product they sell and relieving folk of monies is there only aim.

bandits a.png

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back