Motorhome prices!!!!

tresrikay

:eek::eek:just been on Lunars web site to check out new models and was horrified to find that the premier 592 09 model, ( same spec as mine 06 model ) which then was £29995........ is now £39901:eek::eek::( I am just so glad I bought when I did .... the Premier range is a Belgian Home-Car marketed as a Lunar and is an excellent M/H but I certainly could not afford one today.......... Has anyone else any price rise horror stories?

yes the prices have gone mad.I paid 50k for my Argos 15 months ago,and I`ve recently seen them for around 63k.Near enough the same spec as well save for a few wee items.:eek:

Its gone mad out there.So sorry for new buyers.:(

steve

I agree Graham, back in July 06 when I bought mine I got an excellent deal on my trade in as this van was a stock item, ordered with a bigger engine and all the cab toys but was selling at basic price, because they needed room for 07 models......... I bet some 07 models are still on forcourts and if I was buying, thats what I would be looking at now.;)

Last edited:
I guess some of the rise is due to the strong Euro/weak pound! And why has the US Dollar become so strong when they caused the 'credit crunch'??? (Was $2 tothe £1, now only $1.6!)

The price rise must be due too euro weekness:eek:
The new Fiat cab did help to drive down new old shape cab prises if you
now what I mean, I brought 06 model on a registered 07 plate but is
old shape Fiat cab £4000 saving about:eek:

Sales of new motorhomes must be hit badly by the recession. Car and motorcycle dealers cant shift anything and there is some incredibly cheap, almost give away, deals around. I dont for a minute believe that its any better for motorhome dealers.
In fact i would believe that motorhome dealers are even worse off, being as motorhomes are purely a leisure vehicle, and about as fuel efficiant as the 4 wheel drives that no one wants either.

The motor trade are doing it tough worldwide, I've had three phone calls from a local Ford dealer asking if I'm interested in trading my car on a new one. Three years ago they told me I had to wait 3 months for a new car.

There are some bargains waiting for those who have plenty of cash in the bank - not sure if too many finance companies are going to be happy about funding a retirees home on wheels any longer.

Perhaps the fact that holidays that involve flying are threatened,,,,,,, have put the prices of MHs up

Car sales are shrinking, GM, Ford and other at the rim of bankrupcy.
Certainly sales of motorhomes will go down too and hopefully the prices will follow. :confused: There is a worldwide recession going on; what will be the outcome ??? I have fears :confused::eek:

prices

I understand that all of the chassis are made in euroland, that is why the price has gone up. Rick, I think that you got a good deal when you bought yours. I have also considered the direct replacement cost of mine and it has gone up by £7k. It appears Lunar have just increased there prices.

Back in '93 I initially looked at a Mclouis at Don Amott around August time. They were discounting it about £6K to move it back them. I always wondered if it would have been a good buy to then sell on in a year or two because that would have been a good chunk of the depreciation.

Although I do not intend to change my van, I am interested in the new Ford 4x4 chassis for obvious reasons.

Jon

Well there definitely are deals about on new motorhomes. On the Trigano forum that i occasionally use, someone has just bought a brand new Trigano Tribute 650 for £26,000.
A 5K saving on the list price sounds like a dealer struggling to me.

On another forum the other day there was a thread that was saying buy British and sod the foriegn M/Hs.
Although my van is a Lunar it is a Belgian built Home-Car badged as a Lunar but Handed for U.K.
I posted a thread on that chat stating that as the base vehicle was either German or Italian or French, the composite furniture was Italian, the tyres were French or Italian, the fridge was Dutch or German. the Boiler German the upholstery belgian, the toilet American or German, The control panel and batteries German................... What is left that is British..... maybe the Labour and that is probably Polish.

I wouldn't rate British at all..... My last bike was a Triumph.
Nuff said

Obviously the UK exchange rate is unhelpful. Attended the Brussels MH fair just a few weeks ago and prices seem quite stable, with many good offers on hand for stock vehicles. When the rates vis-a-vis the Euro has dropped by about 20% over the last year you can't expect miracles. If the vehicle isn't an import, a majority of the chassis are.

I just bought second hand (2003 model) and got a really really good deal. I shopped around and narrowed it down to three different vendors. I was honest with all of them about what I was being offered. I ended up getting a lot of motorhome for my money and a stack of extras thrown in. The M/H had one owner from new, low mileage and was in very good condition. So why bother buying new? In the end, they'll have to reduce prices if they want the trade.

Jeff, I just sold my Suzuki Hayabusa (tuned plus nitrous) and bought a Triumph Daytona. The bike is excellent, looks the nuts, goes well enough and I've got a better chance of keeping my license! The new Triumph are breaking some old boundaries when it comes to design, so fair play to them. Tintin

cheap motorhomes

be carefull out there.
in the summer floods in 2007 quite a large number of motorhomes were flooded at the autotrail factory near grimsby(abiut 60).
these were new motorhomes and not registered.
mainly rollerteam, ci and tribute makes.
now all these motorhomes have gone somewhere, and my understanding is that it won't show up on the v5.
a list of the chassis numbers can be found on the autotrail website.
there has been some dispute to the severity of the flooding, but i believe they are all insurance write offs, and don't carry any warranties.

live long and prosper :D:eek:;)

Overhere, the MH-retailers are complaining bitterly. Sales seems to have dropped dramaticaly since the recession. The selling of this years hire-vans is almost 0. The shut-down of Knaus didn't do any good. Prices are going down and will certainly do so after the big vacation-fairs early spring.
Wait and see :rolleyes: We only can benefit :confused: (I hope ?)

to belgian

Hi, I would be interested to know if you buy within your own country or france or germany etc. you have a vast amount of country to get the best prices. We brits find that within germany are to found the best buys, but what do you think.
michael

Hi, I would be interested to know if you buy within your own country or france or germany etc. you have a vast amount of country to get the best prices. We brits find that within germany are to found the best buys, but what do you think.
michael
Up to this moment Belgium is cheaper than Holland and France. Germany used to be dearer (they have the best brands)but I don't know for the moment. Luxembourg is the cheapest of all. It seems that Spain is cheap for their own brands but not for German brands. My idea is that prices will go down everywhere.

in answer

Hi B, yes I feel the same, with all the new green taxes coming out within europe in 2010, motorhome dealers will have a hard time for sure to make a sale. I have always find france to be overpriced and I obtained a 2nd hand LHD hymer B544 here in the Uk and made french, a great saving on road tax at zero pounds pa and cheaper and better insurrance, and a two year Mot.
The thing is that I was thinking of replacing the hymer with a newer model and ever thoe the dealers will be cutting prices, they will not be looking for part exchanges in a good light, so I will get a lot less for the hymer then before.
I saw some very deals in germany last year, better builds and condition of 2nd hand models, the french but large mileage on their motorhomes with little in the way of servicing to go with it and I find them to be expensive for what they are.
I wonder if the price of sites will come down, that would be interesting to see.
michael

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back