Motorhome Length ?

Fisherman

We all have different views on what makes a perfect Motorhome, van conversion, or camper van. Hence the hundreds if not thousands of variables that are available. I get have been asked what’s the best a Motorhome, caravan, or a camper. I never advise but simply try to point out the disadvantages and advantages of each choice. Regarding length, well we have a Motorhome with a large lounge large enough for eight people, a separate shower and toilet, a well laid out kitchen, large fridge freezer. It has four seatbelts and can sleep up to four, with a large over cab drop down bed and it’s just under 6m. I really don’t fancy driving anything any longer, and unlike some we have got ourselves into parking spaces where a larger van would have not been possible. Also make sure it will fit in your drive, if that’s where you intend to park it. Yes the longer vans look great, but speaking personally I don’t need anything any longer than what we have.
An account upgrade is required to view more of this post.

alcam

We all have different views on what makes a perfect Motorhome, van conversion, or camper van. Hence the hundreds if not thousands of variables that are available. I get have been asked what’s the best a Motorhome, caravan, or a camper. I never advise but simply try to point out the disadvantages and advantages of each choice. Regarding length, well we have a Motorhome with a large lounge large enough for eight people, a separate shower and toilet, a well laid out kitchen, large fridge freezer. It has four seatbelts and can sleep up to four, with a large over cab drop down bed and it’s just under 6m. I really don’t fancy driving anything any longer, and unlike some we have got ourselves into parking spaces where a larger van would have not been possible. Also make sure it will fit in your drive, if that’s where you intend to park it. Yes the longer vans look great, but speaking personally I don’t need anything any longer than what we have. I tend to agree . I've gone back to...

Markd

If you really want and might actually use a 6 bert - particularly all adults, the big issue will be payload. 6 adults is getting on for half a ton which is more than a lot of vans have available in real life. Lots of threads on being over weight. It sems to be very difficult to get dealers to provide actual weights of vans.

Fisherman

If you really want and might actually use a 6 bert - particularly all adults, the big issue will be payload. 6 adults is getting on for half a ton which is more than a lot of vans have available in real life. Lots of threads on being over weight. It sems to be very difficult to get dealers to provide actual weights of vans. Mark, our van has a 635kg payload. This figure includes a full water tank, full diesel tank, 80kg driver, and a 13kg cylinder. As it came with many accessories my dealer fitted equipment only weighed 30kg. Mainly a 4m canopy. But the 7.5m versions with large garages and more space only have 325kg payloads. Worth considering.

Markd

That's the problem manufacturers build heavier vans on the same chassis and provide bigger garages with reduced payload! Madness really! I reckon that if you want to frighten yourself takin a van to a weighbridge is the best way to go about it - but something we all ought to do. In the limit running overweight will invalidate your insurance - whether any company will ever check is what most of us rely on?

Bobtaylor

If you really want and might actually use a 6 bert - particularly all adults, the big issue will be payload. 6 adults is getting on for half a ton which is more than a lot of vans have available in real life. Lots of threads on being over weight. It sems to be very difficult to get dealers to provide actual weights of vans. Something I’d not thought of, chances are we would meet up with daughters and their partners somewhere, with them using own cars, We plan on touring Europe for a few months at a time, and would be nice to meet up somewhere all together, hence the 6 berth, Either that or two of them relegated to a tent.....

Sharpie

I'd be reluctant to have anything longer or wider than my 5.99 meter panel van (Globecar Globescout.) It can still be tight negotiating car parks designed for cars. Even if you can squeeze in, if people then park both sides of you getting out again can either be impossible, or require lots of forward and backward shuffling, anxious mirror checks etc. Using two spaces fore and aft doesn't alter that. Seen plenty of big vans (often of a certain nationality) selfishly taking four spaces, straddling the dividing line to try to avoid this. Seen it happen on aires too, first big van parks, no problem. Then another arrives and parks tight up alongside, even making opening doors and squeezing out difficult. sometimes a third the other side, even if there are plenty of other spaces (why do they do that and cluster together instead of spreading out ?) Next morning piggy-in the-middle cannot get out, tapping on doors requesting neighbour to move temporarily sometimes unfavourably received...

daygoboy

Free Member
That's the problem manufacturers build heavier vans on the same chassis and provide bigger garages with reduced payload! Madness really! I reckon that if you want to frighten yourself takin a van to a weighbridge is the best way to go about it - but something we all ought to do. In the limit running overweight will invalidate your insurance - whether any company will ever check is what most of us rely on? If you suspect your overweight and then have a serious crash just chuck some of your gear out on to the roadside, and blame it on fly tippers should an insurance assessor get nosey. ;)

Sharpie

In the limit running overweight will invalidate your insurance - whether any company will ever check is what most of us rely on? Oh yes they will. As will the Police if you are involved in an accident that merits an investigation, with prosecution to follow. There are also spot checks. I know where they do them near me, and have been waved in once. All clear (just). If lucky you might be allowed to say dump your water and anything else to get it back in weight, maybe just a fine, maybe some points, and a ticking off if you are lucky, I don't know, but if it's fundamentally overweight, many are, you are screwed. Besides, it's just unsafe. Brakes are sized for the load. A simple test, if you can't get the ABS to kick in on a practice dry road emergency stop there is something wrong. If they have faded before you have come to a halt from max. legal speed something is very wrong. Its a brutal test, but worth doing once.Testing on the rollers for an MoT doesn't compare. And keep...

Last edited:

Fisherman

I'd be reluctant to have anything longer or wider than my 5.99 meter panel van (Globecar Globescout.) It can still be tight negotiating car parks designed for cars. Even if you can squeeze in, if people then park both sides of you getting out again can either be impossible, or require lots of forward and backward shuffling, anxious mirror checks etc. Using two spaces fore and aft doesn't alter that. Seen plenty of big vans (often of a certain nationality) selfishly taking four spaces, straddling the dividing line to try to avoid this. Seen it happen on aires too, first big van parks, no problem. Then another arrives and parks tight up alongside, even making opening doors and squeezing out difficult. sometimes a third the other side, even if there are plenty of other spaces (why do they do that and cluster together instead of spreading out ?) Next morning piggy-in the-middle cannot get out, tapping on doors requesting neighbour to move temporarily sometimes unfavourably received...

Rita Dixon

Hi all, I’m after a bit of help/ information. We have owned our current Motorhome for about five years, it’s proved to be great, but a bit tight when our daughter and son in law stay with us Although it’s 5.8m long, the beds are above cab, tight headroom, and rear lounge converts to bed. We will shortly be in a position to buy a new, or newer motorhome, and know the layout we want, fixed rear bed, and either a drop down bed over the front,,,,A Class, or a BIG above cab bed, and preferably a bed in the front lounge,,,,this probably means a long motorhome. Issue is,,,,,, how do people cope with the longer Motorhomes, we rarely if ever stop on sites, preferring to Wild camp, or stop in pub car parks, We manage with the 5.8m long rig, even though we stick out a bit, but wonder how the likes of the 7m rigs or bigger manage. Are they a big problem in car parks, unwelcome in pubs or does your trips away require planning in advance, Would welcome your knowledge and findings on living with...

Rita Dixon

Hi, ours is 7.2 Metre and up to now not had a problem parking . Like others say ,another 2meters added not really a problem especially when Wilding. We also manage to get in towns, villages , there is normally somewhere to get in ,even if we have to have the rear overhanging a bit over verges etc. For us , better to have the space and comfort rather than be cramped for the sake of not being able to park in every spot! Rear bed set up full time for us too is the way to go 👍 Hi Harley, Yes agree with you ours is 7 metre, and we have not had a problem either. Rita

TJBi

I'd be reluctant to have anything longer or wider than my 5.99 meter panel van (Globecar Globescout.) It can still be tight negotiating car parks designed for cars. Even if you can squeeze in, if people then park both sides of you getting out again can either be impossible, or require lots of forward and backward shuffling, anxious mirror checks etc. Using two spaces fore and aft doesn't alter that. Seen plenty of big vans (often of a certain nationality) selfishly taking four spaces, straddling the dividing line to try to avoid this. <snip> Have looked at similar size low profiles, but they are mostly all wider, on a shorter wheelbase chassis so a large rear overhang to wag out, garage behind the rear axle so weight in the wrong place and loads up the rear axle by more than the actual mass in the garage (lever effect), whilst unloading the front axle so compromising braking and steering. <snip> Not sure that selfishness or nationality has much to do with parking strategies in...

Sharpie

Not sure that selfishness or nationality has much to do with parking strategies in car parks - more a case of prudence if the car park has been designed with narrow alleys and there are no suitable pairs of end spaces available. Disagree. Supermarket car parks are designed for cars. Being able to park a big van in one is a bonus not to be abused. In one case I was driving around looking for a place, all taken, it was full. A chap waved me over, turned out he was the manager, and explained where there was good free street parking about 100 yards away. Then we got chatting, seems that van had turned up that morning, taken up four places, then the occupants strolled into the very picturesque town for the day, never been into the supermarket. He'd checked the CCTV. Meanwhile it was peak time, that van was taking up four spaces that otherwise would have been filled by genuine customers, each taking less than an hour to do their big shops that day. So far he reckoned he'd lost at...

Harleyboygaz3

All depends on driver, I can park my 7.2 mt. van in a single parking space without taking too much more than your average car. I would NEVER take up 2 spaces let alone 4 spaces in a car park,super market park. If you can’t park correctly then you should not be driving it..

TJBi

All depends on driver, I can park my 7.2 mt. van in a single parking space without taking too much more than your average car. I would NEVER take up 2 spaces let alone 4 spaces in a car park,super market park. If you can’t park correctly then you should not be driving it.. It's not just a question of parking correctly, it's also a case of being able to get out of a parking space when others have parked around you and there is insufficient room to turn as you emerge from the space.

Sharpie

It's not just a question of parking correctly, it's also a case of being able to get out of a parking space when others have parked around you and there is insufficient room to turn as you emerge from the space. Correct. So if in doubt don't do it and find somewhere else. We are not entitled to drive things in spaces that were never designed for them, you have to use some common sense and avoid getting into situations that you may not be able to get out of. Not the fault of the cars that park alongside you, it's entirely your responsibility to think it through. And avoid inconveniencing others. Never mind selfishly abusing things with the four space straddling the middle tactic that seems to be customary with some. My local dump (sorry, recycling centre) was "upgraded" a few years ago, they put in a chicane to prevent vans from being able to access. Very snotty jobsworth official stopped me, I just wanted to unload some bags of garden waste. I got a grilling, was I local (had...

Nesting Zombie

When it’s time to get a HUGE supermarket resupply I tend to either get it very late at night or Very early in the morning during the midnight hours if I’m covering distance OR on my way too or from a park up. I have also asked permission to have it delivered at one of my overnight ‘Site Pit Stops’ that’s Around every 5 weeks or so. Easy really!.

Fisherman

I was in Kelso last week parked up in the carpark next to the garden centre. A 7.5m van turned up and parked in a bay with the van sticking out blocking the passing place in the carpark. They headed of for about an hour, then came back with some shopping. I watched two locals commenting on the van, pointing towards it, they came back and drove off completely unaware of the annoyance they had caused, and they gave us all a bad name. Our 5.99m van just about fitted in a parking space, we were sticking out about 18 inches but not blocking the passing space. There is no way this van should have been in this carpark, it was simply to large.