motorhome from europe

walkers

has anybody on this site actually bought and brought back to the uk a secondhand motorhome from another eu member state ?
if so how did you get on bringing it back in to the country, vat/dvla/and any other import duty.
am looking for a left hand drive model and figure there would be more choice this way.
cheers tony:D

import

as far as I can get, the only way we british gain from buying from the continent is that we buy a van with a door on the offside and we can maximise on that because no-one wants to step into oncoming traffic therefore we get it cheaper. (by the way I've read all the posts on this theme!!) But I think that whilst in this country there is no substitute for British sold products for guarantees etc. there is still a market for the more outgoing buyer to experiment in the import area

import

as far as I can get, the only way we british gain from buying from the continent is that we buy a van with a door on the offside and we can maximise on that because no-one wants to step into oncoming traffic therefore we get it cheaper. (by the way I've read all the posts on this theme!!) But I think that whilst in this country there is no substitute for British sold products for guarantees etc. there is still a market for the more outgoing buyer to experiment in the import area

Buying and importing from Europe/Germany

Hi Walkers
I take it you want to buy from Europe/Germany. If so:-
Never ever give them what they ask. Always bargain. You should be able to knock them down by €1000. If it is a cash deal, you can knock them down between €1500 to €2000. (Especially Dealers) No VAT is paid in Germany VAT is included in the purchasing price. and no VAT in England.
Remember:- When purchasing an MH, make sure you have your Passport. Fahrzeugbrief=Log Book, Autoversicherung=Insurance for bringing the MH from Germany to England, make sure the Insurance is less than month old. Also TÜV (pronounced TUFF)=MOT. Kaufsvertrag=Bill of sale, very important. If there are number plates on the MH, take them off, you have to take them to the Zulassungsstelle=Registration Office.
At the Zulassungsstelle, pull a ticket number from a machine and wait for your number to appear on a screen.
If the MH is not deregistered, you have to de-register= Abmelden. Then re-register=Anmelden, MH in your name. No number plates, it is okay. Inform them you are exporting the MH to England, they will issue you with Temporary Plates for 15 days or 30 days, take the 15 days, saves you money. YOU MUST TAKE THE MH TO THE REGISTRY OFFICE.
The whole thing should come to around €39 approx: + €55 for plates approx: (Prices may have gone up since)
When all the paperwork is done, within the same building you can have the plates made up. After picking up your plates, go back and wait for your name to be called out. Produce your plates and reciepts for all payments. They will stick a circular label and return everything to you. Job done.
Do not buy from looking at a picture. Always give it a going over in person.
You DO NOT pay any export duty if the MH is 2 yrs & over. Dealers will usually do the donkey work for you, i.e registration and insurance.
If I can help any further, even if it is a language problem let me know.

Last edited:
David & Ann said:
Hi Walkers
I take it you want to buy from Europe/Germany. If so:-
Never ever give them what they ask. Always bargain. You should be able to knock them down by €1000. If it is a cash deal, you can knock them down between €1500 to €2000. (Especially Dealers) No VAT is paid in Germany VAT is included in the purchasing price. and no VAT in England.
Remember:- When purchasing an MH, make sure you have your Passport. Fahrzeugbrief=Log Book, Autoversicherung=Insurance for bringing the MH from Germany to England, make sure the Insurance is less than month old. Also TÜV (pronounced TUFF)=MOT. Kaufsvertrag=Bill of sale, very important. If there are number plates on the MH, take them off, you have to take them to the Zulassungsstelle=Registration Office.
At the Zulassungsstelle, pull a ticket number from a machine and wait for your number to appear on a screen.
If the MH is not deregistered, you have to de-register= Abmelden. Then re-register=Anmelden, MH in your name. No number plates, it is okay. Inform them you are exporting the MH to England, they will issue you with Temporary Plates for 15 days or 30 days, take the 15 days, saves you money. YOU MUST TAKE THE MH TO THE REGISTRY OFFICE.
The whole thing should come to around €39 approx: + €55 for plates approx: (Prices may have gone up since)
When all the paperwork is done, within the same building you can have the plates made up. After picking up your plates, go back and wait for your name to be called out. Produce your plates and reciepts for all payments. They will stick a circular label and return everything to you. Job done.
Do not buy from looking at a picture. Always give it a going over in person.
You DO NOT pay any export duty if the MH is 2 yrs & over. Dealers will usually do the donkey work for you, i.e registration and insurance.
If I can help any further, even if it is a language problem let me know.
thanks that is most helpfull, it appears that as long as the vehicle is over 2years old no export/import duty and as long as vat is paid in the purchase price no vat on return just the registration processes. is that correct?

walkers said:
thanks that is most helpfull, it appears that as long as the vehicle is over 2years old no export/import duty and as long as vat is paid in the purchase price no vat on return just the registration processes. is that correct?
Absolutely correct. (Tip) What ever you pay in England for a MH you will pay approx: the same price in Euro (€) Example: If a MH in England costs £20,000
in Germany it will cost you €20,000, which is £14285.60 (this is a rough estimate) A saving of over £5700. Of course the cost of your travel to and from Germany will have to come off your saving. Good luck in your search.

firefighter said:

My motorhome is not a left hand drive and has only 1 door that faces oncoming traffic...Only bought this motorhome (second hand) 5months ago and was surprised to find that my road tax cost me £165.00 ayear...Why is that?

Dee said:
My motorhome is not a left hand drive and has only 1 door that faces oncoming traffic...Only bought this motorhome (second hand) 5months ago and was surprised to find that my road tax cost me £165.00 ayear...Why is that?
don't know why yours is only £165 maybe its based on the emissions mine is £180 as it is old and based on engine size

Tax

walkers said:
don't know why yours is only £165 maybe its based on the emissions mine is £180 as it is old and based on engine size

I too, pay £165 for my MH and also the same for my car. Walkers could be right. It may be the engine size, as my MH is 2.5 litre and car is 2.0 litre. Walkers, is your engine a 2.8 litre? Perhaps, that is why you pay £180. I'm really not sure. Perhaps someone on here knows better.

David & Ann said:
I too, pay £165 for my MH and also the same for my car. Walkers could be right. It may be the engine size, as my MH is 2.5 litre and car is 2.0 litre. Walkers, is your engine a 2.8 litre? Perhaps, that is why you pay £180. I'm really not sure. Perhaps someone on here knows better.
no mine is a 2litre petrol but it is 19 years old so doesn't go on emissions, rather engine size

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back