Motorhome break down cover

Signalman

Morning all
I'm looking for breakdown cover, my motorhome is 18 years old well maintained any help will be appreciated, Ted

Aib

If your insurance is due for renewal anytime soon I would recommend calling AIB for a quote because if you buy insurance with them European breakdown cover is circa £75.
That is the cheapest I have found for full European breakdown cover (I believe they sell this part 'at cost' as an incentive for taking out their similarly low priced insurance).

Plenty of other threads on here re AIB insurance & their 'full member' discount.

If your insurance is not due for a while there are ways to get 'free cover' for a few trips until it is due!

Motorhome Insurance from AIB

ADAC every time for me, I don't think they have an age limit but not 100% sure. Operators are very helpful with any queries. Full euro cover for one driver 85 Euro, a couple 113 Euro.

Morning all
I'm looking for breakdown cover, my motorhome is 18 years old well maintained any help will be appreciated, Ted

You don't indicate whether you require UK or European cover. Motorhome size/weight can also be a factor, so more info required for people to provide meaningful response. Some insurers include it in the policy rather than treating it as an add-on, with European cover sometimes time-limited, sometimes unrestricted.

ADAC every time for me no question, no weight limit, no length limit and no vehicle age limit either

Had RAC arrival European cover for 4 years until I actually needed to use them .... and they tried to find every excuse possible not to send someone out !!!

Blame the AA though for making it far more difficult than it should be for UK drivers to join ADAC as it seems the AA don't like any competition beats their overpriced european breakdown cover hands down.

Adac

So is it more like joining the AA/RAC where the person is covered regardless of what their driving, Rather than taking out breakdown insurance

Just looking thru the terms of ADAC and I notice that your Not covered within 50 kms of your home location

Had RAC arrival European cover for 4 years until I actually needed to use them .... and they tried to find every excuse possible not to send someone out !!!

I simply do not believe that.
We broke down on the autobharn on the first day of our holiday this year.Saturday afternoon and 50 miles from the campsite.Without going into a long story
the RAC were fantastic from the first call to the last.Supplied with a 9 seater minibus for 5 days(no cost to us)while the clutch was being done at VW.All taxi's paid for.Without a doubt fantastic service......................All for £154 a year,,,,,thats 12 months european cover(and full uk cover)for 2 people.I expect a small rise next year but after the service i received no problem.

RAC were brilliant for us last week, took us into Chartre within an hour. Fixed in another couple of hours and on our way.

I believe that

ADAC every time for me no question, no weight limit, no length limit and no vehicle age limit either

Blame the AA though for making it far more difficult than it should be for UK drivers to join ADAC as it seems the AA don't like any competition beats their overpriced european breakdown cover hands down.

I believe that. An example of an excuse they might use is provided below from a 2 minute check of their policy T&Cs.
Also just look at all the RAC warranty signs that are popping up on the forecourts of 'here today, gone tomorrow' second hand car sales lots. They are using their reputation to give people confidence to buy dodgy cars then washing their hands of any responsibility when a claim is made.

Breakdown on a motorway in Europe
If the vehiclebreaks down on a motorway in Europe we advise the use of the roadside emergency telephones.
This will connect to the police or authorised motorway services who will send a breakdown recovery vehicle.
If they will not send a breakdown recovery vehicle, then contact us.
Motorways in France are privately managed, so in the event of a break down or road traffic accident on a French motorway or motorway
service area, it is mandatory to use the roadside emergency telephones as we cannot send out assistance.
In the event of recovery by the police or authorised motorway services, labour and towing charges may be payable on the spot and an authorised tariff is normally applied.
We will cover these charges as long as the vehicleis towed to the recovery company’s depot. If the vehicle is towed from a motorway, contact us as soon as possible and, if the vehicle has not been repaired, we will arrange for ongoing cover under RAC Breakdown Cover.

Which conveniently conflicts with:
2. Only accept help from the RAC patrol or RAC contractor that has been sent to assist the vehicle by us
3. Don’t go directly to a garage (even an RACappointed one); we will not reimburse youif you or a driver have had to pay for help which was not arranged by us
4. Recovery can only be arranged by us

Source:
http://broker.rac.co.uk/document-library/files/te/terms-and-conditions.pdf

Last edited:
Just looking thru the terms of ADAC and I notice that your Not covered within 50 kms of your home location

This only applies to the travel insurance aspects of ADAC cover, not breakdown cover.

The benefits relating to illness, injury, death and other emergencies apply when you are on a journey. A journey means that you are more than 50 km (distance covered) from your place of residence.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back