Motor home novice!

You don't mention where you'll be camping but if it's as busy as it sounds good luck. If the M/H is over 3.500 does your licence cover you

If you are using reusable nappies and wipes give yourself a break and use disposables. Take dog poop bags and put the nappy in that so you can use public bins regularly rather than trying to shove in a large bag full occasionally.

You will be surprised how quickly with baby related activities you will get through water so I would take a 6 pack of 2L bottles with you as well as keeping an eye on your water tank level.

The lights in your moho will likely be quite bright, take a suitable dim light (lantern type torch thingy) for night feeds/changes.

Obviously I don't know what your bed set up is it doesn't take much of a slope to find you move downhill in your bed so just be aware of that with your baby.

Ah, I think breastfeeding is easier in a moho! So with regards to formula make sure the moho woman/bloke doesn't skim over the the fridge bit. It is likely to be a 3 way fridge so don't let them finish the explanation until you understand what he/she means.

3 pin socket appliances can use a lot of power (hairdryer!), be aware of this and discuss power consumption with the letting people. I am not experienced with and unsure how power hungry your particular steriliser gadget is, maybe wise to ask if it's best used on 'hook up' and when the engine is running only.

That is quite a busy itinerary with a 9 month old (presuming a 14 or 10 day hire), try not to have a 'we must complete the route' attitude. The locations will still be there next year so nice and steady especially as when you drive a 9 month will likely sleep and therefore will be awake when you want to be relaxing!

Have a suitable product to help clean poo, wee and puke off upholstery.

If the moho has big lockers then take the pram but if it's a small one maybe consider only a carrier as a pram could easily get in the way and become a pita.

Have a great time and any issues dont hesitate to come the forum for advice.

Best wishes and post some piccys
What a great list of advice!

We don't use the blue chemicals in the loo, Dr Bronners castille soap is organic vegetable based soap, and we use it for everything & smells amazing. Steradent denture tabs also work well to keep smells at bay from grey water tank, drop 1 in after every empty.
Ok Steradent but dont put the dentures down the loo at night, apart from someone may get the ass bit of them. 😂 😂 😂

I’ve booked a motor home with my husband and baby (!!) and we’ve never done it before. We’ll be heading to Scotland and will be stopping off in Cairngorms, Skye, Mull and Loch Lohman’s. We have camped many times but are totally new to this. Any tips, advice and things to avoid would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you.
Enjoy your time, don't don't dump your rubbish like the average camper. Be clean and respectful.

Don't forget you need to be plugged into a mains outlet to make the 3 pin sockets work. Sitting at the side of the road they don't work.
That's disappointing, I wrongly assumed modern Mohos of renting out standard would have invertors.

Makes my old moho seem better :D

That's disappointing, I wrongly assumed modern Mohos of renting out standard would have invertors.

Any factory Mh iv seen are only for campsites, esp when the seller owns most round out shores handing you a map of where they all are.
When in picking up a part they near turned inside out when I said I'm a wilder, told me it was illegal to do so, I right Jack. :mad:

Most of the new ones don't have them fitted and I would not expect the rental companies to bother as they will assume renters are using sites. They just buy the basic models.

If you are using reusable nappies and wipes give yourself a break and use disposables. Take dog poop bags and put the nappy in that so you can use public bins regularly rather than trying to shove in a large bag full occasionally.

You will be surprised how quickly with baby related activities you will get through water so I would take a 6 pack of 2L bottles with you as well as keeping an eye on your water tank level.

The lights in your moho will likely be quite bright, take a suitable dim light (lantern type torch thingy) for night feeds/changes.

Obviously I don't know what your bed set up is it doesn't take much of a slope to find you move downhill in your bed so just be aware of that with your baby.

Ah, I think breastfeeding is easier in a moho! So with regards to formula make sure the moho woman/bloke doesn't skim over the the fridge bit. It is likely to be a 3 way fridge so don't let them finish the explanation until you understand what he/she means.

3 pin socket appliances can use a lot of power (hairdryer!), be aware of this and discuss power consumption with the letting people. I am not experienced with and unsure how power hungry your particular steriliser gadget is, maybe wise to ask if it's best used on 'hook up' and when the engine is running only.

That is quite a busy itinerary with a 9 month old (presuming a 14 or 10 day hire), try not to have a 'we must complete the route' attitude. The locations will still be there next year so nice and steady especially as when you drive a 9 month will likely sleep and therefore will be awake when you want to be relaxing!

Have a suitable product to help clean poo, wee and puke off upholstery.

If the moho has big lockers then take the pram but if it's a small one maybe consider only a carrier as a pram could easily get in the way and become a pita.

Have a great time and any issues dont hesitate to come the forum for advice.

Best wishes and post some piccys
Wow thank you so much for spending the time writing all this out - some brilliant tips and advice here! Luckily we’ve got family all over the country and so have become expert at packing very light 😊

@Chloe, unless you know Scotland well already then don’t try and do too much or you will be spending all day driving.
We spent just under three weeks up there last September having not been back up there for about 10 years.

I made a conscious effort to avoid some of the usual tourist routes especially the nc500 because I suspected it was still very busy. The forestry overnight parking scheme was excellent and we didn’t have any problems finding other wild camping spots on the west coast either. It may have been a different story if we had gone a month or two earlier though!

If planning to wild camp Google maps is your best friend and for peace of mind still book the odd night at a campsite so you can empty the bog and fill up with water etc.
pitchup.com is very handy for seeing what’s still available.

I made this playlist which you may find interesting

Thank you! Yes you are right, best to book into some campsites I think and we’ve got four nights booked so far. Lots booked up but some availability im finding. Great tip on pitchup.com I’ll check it out 👌🏼

Many thanks to the OP for taking the trouble to seek advice and well done for finding us. If only all newbies were as conscientious then motorhomes would not be receiving such a bad press.
Wishful thinking I suppose.
I’m so grateful for the useful advice! What a lovely resource.

For the small amount of time it takes its worth jotting down the locations and postcodes of A&E's and MIU's on your route as you just know that that is when you have no phone reception!

Check your cupboard and draw locks are engaged before driving, when novices we leant the hard way with half a dozen eggs and I wouldn't want to pay the letting agency for a carpet clean!

Be wary when opening overhead lockers above your baby

The Golden Rule........dont forget the Calpol and Nurophen 😧

Last edited:
12vdc kettle can be useful for warming baby feed when on the move just make sure secure so cant fall over . Some come with bracket

12vdc kettle can be useful for warming baby feed when on the move just make sure secure so cant fall over . Some come with bracket
Good one

As we can only carry small gas cylinders at that price I'm getting one.

Thanks

And can take half an hour to boil, that's if your electrics don't melt first! Gas is much better.

And can take half an hour to boil, that's if your electrics don't melt first! Gas is much better.
An induction hob is better still , I have that option in my vehicle :) The 12v kettle will not fry electrics , from personal experience , and when driving the alternator is more than capable of handling the load . Fast boil is not really a requirement for warming baby feed , even though its a few decades since I was last having to do this :)

Loads of great advice already on here for you! We are currently exploring hadrians wall on our way up to Scotland from Southampton.
We have 3 kids, youngest is 6 months and a dog so we are well practiced if you need any other advice.
The website 'search for sites' has been a god send for us this trip. Loads of free stopovers if you go in to pubs etc for a pint/food. We left Sunday and are plodding are way through the cotswolds, lake district and walked bits of hadrians wall today. Next stop near Edinburgh before Loch lomond and then up to Inverness and east coast back down to Northumberland. 3 weeks if all goes well, planning each day at a time!
We want to NC500 but avoiding it until all the hired MHs disappear. X

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back