MOT extension

mfw

As we have done it once already hope we get an mot extension soon booked in for 2 weeks time ( not essential to be open if they have done it before ) - my brakes need cleaning and handbrake needs adjusting - i hate working on vehicle this time of year

Mot stations, working as normal up here (well Barring Xmas obvs)
Got landrover and motorhome done a couple of weeks back.

Very much doubt there will be any more MOT extensions, it was an emergency measure whilst we didn't know quite how best to control CV-19, that's not an issue any more.

Five times I did a retest here because of imbalance in back brakes, had to speak to the top man who said all brakes have passed its just the right rear is muck stronger, well I ask what can I do, he replied I cannot tell you that, so home drum of and filled leading edge down and backed off the adjuster, sprayed some wd40 on shoes and went back, passed and he came over and said what did you do, I replied, well as you know I cannot tell you that. 😂 😂 😂
£90 green backs that cost me on top of the first test fee.

Very much doubt there will be any more MOT extensions, it was an emergency measure whilst we didn't know quite how best to control CV-19, that's not an issue any more.
Not sure it is essential as has been by-passed already to control transmission rates so just hoping it gets extended - and vehicle still has to be roadworthy if extended just rather have it due in summer

It's not seen as a retail service, so doesn't figure into 'essential services', and I can tell you it isn't affected by tier 4 restrictions,
Oh well think i have booked a sensible mot station may have to negotiate with tester as i think the handbrake is low so i may prewarn tester - he will find it anyway so might tell him and hope he lets it go - i'll do it when it warms up a bit anyway

Oh well think i have booked a sensible mot station may have to negotiate with tester as i think the handbrake is low so i may prewarn tester - he will find it anyway so might tell him and hope he lets it go - i'll do it when it warms up a bit anyway

I had low effort from handbrake last year on our Swift 590rs (04 ducato) ....
Turns out passenger side wheel cylinder had stuck out and, not allowed shoes to fully back off...

New wheel cylinder and shoes both sides (including lying in the gutter in the streaming rain)

An all was well again

I took mine a couple of weeks ago and everything fine except handbrake readings , mechanic said take it around the block and give the brakes some hammer , got back 10min later pulled onto the brake testing machine and passed first reading (y)

That was the only thing that was a little low on mine back in November however, the MOT tester knows me and the motorhome really well so he passed it.

It passed but only just on the handbrake. he didn`t put it as an advisory because he knew i would sort it out as soon as i got home which i did.

Trouble is depends on tester and what he feels actually needs doing - some help to get it through some dont and just fail it - because they are sitting around a lot at moment a lot of people will probably have similar braking concerns and issues - and the shoes and pads are almost certainly going to be contaminated with rust

Gov put sleepers through test centres here to make sure no backhanders, one chap last year was caught and jailed, they had been watching him.
Back in the 80's I needed a temporary car whilst my own one was being repaired. So I bought an MOT failure - Renault 12 - for £50, took it to a garage with a certain reputation to get a new MOT (no repairs, just the MOT) and paid them upfront an extra tenner to "any repairs" and picked it up later in the afternoon with a new ticket!
I remember the mechanic saying about one light ... "Anyone asks, that light failed after you took it away".

It is a good thing better checks are made now!!

Last edited:
Back in the 80's I needed a temporary car whilst my own one was being repaired. So I bought an MOT failure - Renault 12 - for £50, took it to a garage with a certain reputation to get a new MOT (no repairs, just the MOT) and paid them upfront an extra tenner to "any repairs" and picked it up later in the afternoon with a new ticket!
I remember the mechanic saying about one light ... "Anyone asks, that light failed after you took it away".

It is a good thing better checks are made now!!
Not sure checks are better now - they used to use screwdriver and hammer on chassis which they are no longer allowed to do hence advisories on chassis rust until they push through by hand

Not sure checks are better now - they used to use screwdriver and hammer on chassis which they are no longer allowed to do hence advisories on chassis rust until they push through by hand
I was really meaning checks on the garages, not checks on the cars :) (The garage in question in my piost was renowned as well).

Checks on MOT garages are not very well funded/manned , exceptions are complaint driven . Usual Govt operations level, want Rolls for Mini money .

Traders still get good leeway with MOT and they still get a lot of the faults on a slip of paper rather than recorded as a fault on the MOT paperwork - and that is more down to trust that they will do the work

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back