Mot due next month on tag axle

Well total length of mine is only 7m and probably one of the shortest length wise for a Tag axle

In that case you should get onto most ramps.
As stated motorhomes are class 4 and any local station should take on the test (probably obliged to under their 'licence')
!I'd have thought there was enough articulation on the rear axles to use a roller test. But if they have to use a Tapley so be it - there problem not yours.

As stated motorhomes are class 4 and any local station should take on the test (probably obliged to under their 'licence')
!I'd have thought there was enough articulation on the rear axles to use a roller test. But if they have to use a Tapley so be it - there problem not yours.
FWIW, both of the testing stations within a few miles of my home cannot do my van. It might be class 4, but neither have pits for under-vehicle inspections and the van won't fit into the available roof space were it to be lifted on their vehicle lifts. It would make sense for their licence to include a safety clause -- so that they can refuse to carry out any test that they cannot conduct safely. Re. using decelerometers for brake testing: that might be a bit more common than some might think as many 4x4s and vehicles with limited slip differentials cannot be tested on at least some brake rollers.

Many people where I live have their vans tested at Plymouth Citybus as they both have the capacity for larger vehicles and they don't do repairs and so won't be 'looking for work' in the same way as perhaps some others might.

Local fairly heavy testing station and below the bit that says they dont mot tag axle

MOT Test Services at Lancing Commercial
  • Class 4 – Cars, light vans up to 3,000kg DGW (Design Gross Weight) and motorhomes up to 4,000kg (but subject to width and length restrictions below)
  • Class 7 – Vans up to 3,500kg DGW
  • Class 5 light – minibuses up to 16 passenger seats up to 5,000kg DGW.
  • Private hire taxi testing
  • Private ambulance testing
  • We test on a lift, so can accommodate vehicles up to 4.62m (15ft 2ins) wheelbase, 2.13m (7ft) width wheel to wheel and 2.54m (8ft 4 ins) total max width
  • Motorhome testing for most UK manufacturers (including Hymer), but we don’t MOT twin/tag rear axle motorhomes. A-class Dethleffs with large coach type mirrors unfortunately are too wide for our lift
  • Free retests within the allowed period
  • We’ll always try our best on minor failures such as bulbs and headlight alignment to repair them at the end of the test : PRS “Pass with Rectification at Station,” but this will always be subject to the tester’s view and time available

Testers are allowed to refuse a test if they think the vehicle is too dangerous and if they can't get the vehicle in then I guess it's only reasonable to turn down the work.
However they are required to have sufficient headroom for vehicles that might reasonably be expected in the Classes they are registered for.
So of Class 7 they should really be able to get a high top van in.

Last edited:
Found mot station between arundel and chi that can do them drove van over to them so ideal for me he also said he can use a tapley if neccessary - van is tall over 3m and wide 2.8m with fixed mirrors - but all booked in now

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back